Affect wrong size flow restrictor has on TDS after RO membrane.

  • Thread starter Thread starter b2smoov
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Interesting. I guess I never bothered to look up a chart before. Nobody around here has water softeners, so I just assumed our water was already considered on the softer side... our water report says our water total hardness has a range of 70 to 110.

I don't think I'm going to mess with my restrictor. I'm happy with how my unit runs for the most part. I get 0 tds out of the membrane in winter and 1 or 2 tds out during the summer months, uses very little DI, and waste water is 2.5:1, which isn't bad, so I'm happy.
If anything, I'm going to be adding a booster pump at some point as my pressure does dip below 60 psi occasionally. I think boosting my pressure to 80 all the time would benefit me the most.
And if you configure your system so the pump is after the clear prefilter housings... crank it up to 90 psi and install the proper flow restrictor.
 
Last edited:
My water is 280 TDS, I am on city water, how do you, pretreatment (softening) a system? Thanks in advance.
 
My water is 280 TDS, I am on city water, how do you, pretreatment (softening) a system? Thanks in advance.
If you don't want a whole house water softener (for pretreatment) you can get a small water softener for the RO/DI system. The one I have is made for specialty coffee makers.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new