Affordable Lighting Help

Nosaj82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So I just fired up my tank and currently waiting for it to cycle. I am at a point where I need lights and I am having a hard time making a decision. I am relatively new to the hobby and plan on keeping fish and some coral that is relatively easy to care for by a beginner.

what is a decent yet affordable light to buy? And how many do I buy. I keeping looking at kessil, maxspect, Red Sea and AI. Is there cheaper ones out there or am I looking at the right lights to buy. I don’t want to cheap out and buy garbage but I also see you can pay a lot for lights lol.

My tank is 7 feet x 18” deep x 22” wide.

Thanks
Jason

flyline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Mars Chinese black box a lot of people use them and like them probably one of your best bets if you are looking for cheaper lighting

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use(d) 3x 300w MarsAqua black-boxes on my 8’ x 20”x18” and they are great and affordable. Deals on Ebay to buy all 3 at once too.

I am only replacing them with radions because I am neurotic really. If I had a nicer floating canopy I would stick with them. I have no complaints.

That size tank I would do 1x 300w and 2x 165w. or 4x 165w

OP
OP
N

Nosaj82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use(d) 3x 300w MarsAqua black-boxes on my 8’ x 20”x18” and they are great and affordable. Deals on Ebay to buy all 3 at once too.

I am only replacing them with radions because I am neurotic really. If I had a nicer floating canopy I would stick with them. I have no complaints.

That size tank I would do 1x 300w and 2x 165w. or 4x 165w
Thank you. I found them on eBay for a decent price...well a lot cheaper then big brands lol. Now I need to find mounting arms to the back of the tank if there is any. I don’t want to hang them by a cable.

Keesers

Captain Saltwater Pants
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, what kind of coral you looking to get into? Softies LPS or SPS sticks there are some lower cost LED’s on the market if you don’t plan to go full Sticks

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the big brands, im an avid user of AI fixtures. Early on, they were upgradable, and ahead of the curve.
Now they seem to be at the tail end of the LED evolution but I'll say, for a comparible price light, they are very easy to work on and easily repairable by the novice user. They also last a very long time if you arent an unfortunate hobbiest thats gotten a few bad fixtures and are sour about it, they make for a great life long lighting companion.
Coming from an AI nano, to the sol, upgraded chipset to the vega color, to the hydra 26, and now the 52s, ive always bought used, and have NEVER been let down.
AI TIL' I DIE!

OP
OP
N

Nosaj82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, what kind of coral you looking to get into? Softies LPS or SPS sticks there are some lower cost LED’s on the market if you don’t plan to go full Sticks
Hi. I plan on starting with the LPS softies for now. However this hobby is real addictive and if i felt comfortable down the road I can see me getting into SPS lol.

wrasse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek OR Bars, get’em and don’t look back. Stagger the sizes and/or spectrums and you will be set. They’re on sale right now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back