Aggiejames’ Newbie Nuvo 20 Softie Tank

aggiejames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy!!

Today I started a budget friendly reef tank which will live in my office. I’m a pastor and often counsel families. This will give kiddos in my office something to look at and enjoy while I meet with parents.

I’ve never done a reef tank. My last saltwater tank was over before it really began as I had to move.

My goals for this tank are twofold: I want a simple to maintain and yet beautiful softie tank with some kid friendly live stock. I need it to be simple enough that my admin can tend to the tank when I’m gone (sometimes 2 weeks). I also need it to be stable enough that it does ok on Friday and Saturday when no one is at the office.

My budget is small and I’ll likely buy most stuff used.

I’d love for you to join me on this adventure. I’ll try to post monthly updates and I hope this can be a tank to show someone that they too can have a reef tank on a budget at the office!

Equipment:
- Innovative Marine 20
- Jebao Wavemaker
- 2x Sicce .5 Return Pumps
- FRS Media Reactor
- Media Basket
- auqa UV light
- junk heater
- black Hawaiian sand
- live rock
- ato

Photo Attached

IMG_0785.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aggiejames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Known Issues:
- I need to find a light as the setup I bought used didn’t have one
- light spread needs to be controlled for an office
- i have no lid
- I need a cleanup crew

Current Live Stock:
- 2 black and white clowns given to me

Current Corals:
- None yet

Goals:
- full tank with good motion
- trade a coral that I grew for another!
- 4-5 fish
- cool shrimp and some crabs that kids would love
- Find Hydros or apex to control tank so I can go on office travel

K1utch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to go with a @noopsyche k7 pro v3 after doing some reading.

@noopsyche is this the right light for a 20 gallon softie build? What settings should I use?
I've never used a noopsyche but my BIGGEST advice I can give you is to rent a PAR meter from your local fish store or bulk reef supply to make sure you get the settings right. Honestly blues high, red/greed low, whites to how you prefer it to look. Check the par set a one hour ramp up and down time with 8 hours on full and you'll be golden. When you set up the light, test the par and like how it looks DO NOT TOUCH the settings. Corals hate when you change the light settings they need possibly months to acclimate. I'd also take the UV out for a little while. It can kill beneficial microorganisms and bad ones too of course. Oh and welcome good luck!

OP
OP
A

aggiejames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pulled the trigger on the Noo Psyche K7 Pro v3 with cover to limit light bleed. More details once I get it set up.

OP
OP
A

aggiejames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used a noopsyche but my BIGGEST advice I can give you is to rent a PAR meter from your local fish store or bulk reef supply to make sure you get the settings right. Honestly blues high, red/greed low, whites to how you prefer it to look. Check the par set a one hour ramp up and down time with 8 hours on full and you'll be golden. When you set up the light, test the par and like how it looks DO NOT TOUCH the settings. Corals hate when you change the light settings they need possibly months to acclimate. I'd also take the UV out for a little while. It can kill beneficial microorganisms and bad ones too of course. Oh and welcome good luck!

Thank you for this. I sadly don't have a local fish store. I will look into finding one to borrow and use.

OP
OP
A

aggiejames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone wondering how the Noo Psyche K7 does in a Nuvo 20, I just finished a PAR meter session and am happy to show the results. If there is a / then the first number is closest to the front and the second is in the back. The 2 white numbers are in the very back of the tank against the wall.

Also the skirting kit available with the Noo Psyche K7 has drastically cut down on light spillage in the office and I am quite happy with the purchase.

IMG_0906.jpeg

OP
OP
A

aggiejames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added a few livestock and we now have 2 conch, 2 large snails, a hermit crab or two, a cleaner shrimp, 2 black/white clowns.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone wondering how the Noo Psyche K7 does in a Nuvo 20, I just finished a PAR meter session and am happy to show the results. If there is a / then the first number is closest to the front and the second is in the back. The 2 white numbers are in the very back of the tank against the wall.

Also the skirting kit available with the Noo Psyche K7 has drastically cut down on light spillage in the office and I am quite happy with the purchase.

IMG_0906.jpeg
Dumb question but what setting is this on?

OP
OP
A

aggiejames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Everything is still alive but I do have a coral on the front left melting away.

Did some water changes and testing today.

Salinity 34.5
Temp 78.5
Nitrate 1.06 ppm hanna LR
Magnesium 1800 ppm Hannah
Phosphate 0 Hanna ULR
Alkalinity 10.8 dKh
Calcium 530 ppm

I am starting to see some hair algae. I’m guessing that’s what is consuming my phosphates? I’ll need to find a solution for hair algae removal in a 20g tank before it gets out of hand.

Added photo of hair algae. It’s certainly not dark green like I’ve seen in some tanks. It’s more gray. But it’s fine hairs everywhere and exploded all over suddenly on Tuesday.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back