Aggression to Midas blenny

KayKaytn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a Midas Blenny to my 36 Gallon mixed reef. The tank is 3 feet long. x 1 feet wide and 1.2 feet deep. I have two oscellaris clowns, a royal gramma and two bangai cardinals. My clowns are acting very aggressively to the blenny and it seems like the cardinals are joining in occasionally. The clowns never harrassed the cardinals or the royal gramma, but I previously had to remove a firefish as they were mercilessly attacking it. Prior to this, I had a watchman goby who died but there was never any aggression toward it. I have removed the blenny to a separate tank for now, but I'd like to know if anyone has had success with removing the clowns to a separate tank or acclimation box and letting the new fish settle in. Or is this a losing game? I'd hate to have to return the blenny since he's been in quarantine for a month and it's a great fish and my clowns have been with me from the beginning. Any tips or experience with this would be great. I have included a photo of the tank (sorry it's a bit dark as the fish are almost in bed :)) Thanks!

IMG_3902.JPG

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I add a new fish to my tank I cover it with a blkt with the lights off for 12-24hrs. Then in the morning when the lights come on there's never been an issue. I would separate the clowns as you said for a day or 2 & see what happens.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never add just one fish when I add fish to my tank. It's always two or three to spread out any aggression that may develop. Clowns can be jerks once established, so I also add fish bigger than them, lol.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back