Aggressive clownfish

fishdude123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi recently added 2 black and white snowflake clowns to my tank and 1 of them is constantly chasing he bangs I cardinal around. They’re juvenile clowns about 1 inch in length. Should I separate them or will this get better over time

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I just want to clarify, are you saying one clown is constantly chasing the other?

Is the same clown that is chasing the other one, the same clown that is chasing your cardinal as well?

Aggressiveness between 2 clowns that haven't paired yet is normal, they are sorting out who will become the dominant one, this will take some time but will get better for sure.

Aggressiveness between the clown and cardinal is another matter. Hopefully they will settle in a few days if they were just added.

How big is the tank? Are there any other fish in there, aside from those 3? How long has this been happening for?

OP
OP
F

fishdude123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29 gallon biocube. Just 1 other fire fish in there with them. I added the 2 clownfish in last. They were fine for a couple weeks and now one of the clownfish is chasing the cardinal. Been happening for a couple days now. The cardinal is hiding in the rocks right now, but the clownfish still won’t leave it alone. I plan on moving the cardinal out of the tank if it gets worse.
The 2 clownfish seems alright tho no aggression between them at all

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29 gallon biocube. Just 1 other fire fish in there with them. I added the 2 clownfish in last. They were fine for a couple weeks and now one of the clownfish is chasing the cardinal. Been happening for a couple days now. The cardinal is hiding in the rocks right now, but the clownfish still won’t leave it alone. I plan on moving the cardinal out of the tank if it gets worse.
The 2 clownfish seems alright tho no aggression between them at all
Ah I gotcha, I have a 34g display tank and I used to have the exact same fish as you + others. My two clowns leave my cardinal alone, but ya it happens sometimes that they get aggressive. You might have to move him unfortunately!

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump?

Does the aggression die down, or does the victim just die?

Seriously, my clowns are harassing the new PJ Cardinal

Thanks

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back