Aggressive Purple Firefish - Advice?

BPCGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Purple Firefish about 2 weeks ago, and he turned out to be super aggressive. He stalks his tank mates and sidles up them, showing himself from the side. Then he goes in for the strike. He has been biting the female Ocellaris Clown's fins and doing damage. Male Ocellaris gets chased around but no visible damage yet, other than the one time i watched him knock himself out running into the back wall. Firefish also stalks my Royal Gramma, but the RG holds him off with a wide-mouthed roar. Firefish does not seem to notice the Yellow Watchman Goby/Tiger Shrimp or the Green Clown Goby.

I had been expecting a docile, skittish, fish. But instead I got a serious bully. He only goes into his cave to sleep. Any ideas on how to reduce the aggression?

Tank is s 32g biocube, 35lbs live rock, lots of corals, running about 8 months. SG 1.025; Ammonia/Nitrite 0; Nitrate 5-10; undetectable phosphate; 420 Calcium; 8 dKH

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try putting a mirror on the tank. It works for some fish.

I started salt water because my son begged for a blue glow fish tetra (like below). It killed off all my other fish... including my school of tiger barbs, in a mater of 24-48 hours. I went in to restock and return him, and decided to just switch to salt.

1601063978814.png

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would return the fish, or sell to someone who wants an aggressive firefish. They are usually such marshmellows that someone may jump at the chance.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back