Aggressive Purple tang should I let him out to the display?

KingAh123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang, whom I have had for 6 months now, is in a separate tank because he relentlessly attacked every new addition I introduced.

He has been in that tank since the 13th, and I'm now pondering whether to reintroduce him into the main display tank or let him stay in the other tank for at least a month. Alternatively, should I just get rid of him? Before the fish I had in my tank died off, he was fine with other fish, and he even had a chocolate tang as his buddy. However, he started becoming aggressive as soon as he was alone in the tank.

Currently, there are 2 clownfish, 1 mandarin dragonet, a red velvet fairy wrasse, a springeri damsel, and a midas blenny living in the tank.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? What’s the footprint?

The larger the tank and the more rocks and caves you have, the less aggression will be an issue.

Tangs can get more aggressive as they age. And they can certainly go after new additions. I’ve had success moving aggressive Tangs and Angels back to my QT system for a month, rearranging the rock structure and then reintroducing them back to the main display. But it’s always hit or miss.

OP
OP
KingAh123

KingAh123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? What’s the footprint?

The larger the tank and the more rocks and caves you have, the less aggression will be an issue.

Tangs can get more aggressive as they age. And they can certainly go after new additions. I’ve had success moving aggressive Tangs and Angels back to my QT system for a month, rearranging the rock structure and then reintroducing them back to the main display. But it’s always hit or miss.
375 liters 150x50x50 cm or a 5 footer.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
375 liters 150x50x50 cm or a 5 footer.
Keep him in the other tank for a while longer. Let the other fish establish their territories.

Rearrange the rock work (create a few deep caves) and make the Purple your last fish addition. That’ll give you the best chance for success.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used acclimation/isolation boxes in my main display tank when I move a territorial or sometimes aggressive fish in. These have worked for me with my Tangs. There is still a little aggression when I let the fish out of the acclimation box, but it quickly goes away after a couple of days.

OP
OP
KingAh123

KingAh123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep him in the other tank for a while longer. Let the other fish establish their territories.

Rearrange the rock work (create a few deep caves) and make the Purple your last fish addition. That’ll give you the best chance for success.
I might introduce a sand sifting goby and either a sixline, yellow or a melanarus wrasse as my last fish since I need a pest eating wrasse, but I'm still deciding.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back