Ai Blade Grow - Defective?

logo8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed my replacement Ai Blade Grow (12in.) due to the first one looking bluer on on side and more white on the other.

Do you guys notice it as well? Going to attach the photo from the original and replacement. Also a few photo of the LEDs. I heard you can tell by how they alternate?

IMG_3490.jpeg IMG_3621.jpeg IMG_3643.jpeg IMG_3644.jpeg IMG_3646.jpeg

Coalminer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this with AI. Contacted them, they sent a new one with a prepaid label, shipped back the old. I was annoyed too, but customer service was really good. Did cost $1 that they use to run your credit card. If you don’t return the defective light, they will charge you the full price of the replacement. New light is fine, btw.

OP
OP
logo8

logo8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this with AI. Contacted them, they sent a new one with a prepaid label, shipped back the old. I was annoyed too, but customer service was really good. Did cost $1 that they use to run your credit card. If you don’t return the defective light, they will charge you the full price of the replacement. New light is fine, btw.
Yes that’s exactly the same route they took with me. Glad you think it looks good. I posted these in Facebook forum and people still think it doesn’t look right. Is there a way to tell by the LEDs? I thought I read that if they all face the same way it’s defective.

Coalminer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s exactly the same route they took with me. Glad you think it looks good. I posted these in Facebook forum and people still think it doesn’t look right. Is there a way to tell by the LEDs? I thought I read that if they all face the same way it’s defective.
I laid the defective one and the new one side by side and they were completely identical looking to me, as far as the LEDs and reflectors themselves. Only way to tell a difference was turning them on over the tank.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This worries me because these are what I’m hoping to upgrade three (or at least two) tanks to. To me it seems that some of the diodes are under the white reflector which could definitely cause the colors to be different. May just be me looking at it wrong though.

Coalminer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry, @logo8 I just reread the thread and realized that the pics ARE the replacement blade. I missed that. I agree that it looks defective too. This is how my first blade looked.
IMG_6120.jpeg

Coalminer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the same angle, but you can see the sand is now the same shade all the way across.
IMG_6302.jpeg

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 21” grow and 21” glow from Saltwateraquarium. My grow did the same, being bluer on the end opposite the cord. I contacted them the very next day and they patched me in to AI as well for help. Both deemed it defective and replied back with the same day! Saltwateraquarium shipped out a replacement today to me! Really outstanding customer service from both of them!

Can’t wait to get the new one as I love how clean they look setting in the top of the tank!

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my replacement light today, and unfortunately it has the same issue. I emailed them, hoping third time will be the charm:)

Coalminer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my replacement light today, and unfortunately it has the same issue. I emailed them, hoping third time will be the charm:)
Was the light from saltwateraquarium.com or AI/Ecotech/BRS themselves? Just curious because I bought my defective one from SA, but the replacement light was shipped directly from AI. In fact, it was delayed because they were waiting on shipment of them to come in. So if they redesigned the light and the “new” ones work, defective ones will continue to pop up until those older inventories are exhausted.

MrNice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I also received an AI blade with this issue. I spoke to AI and they told me that my serial number model was to be replaced and to contact D D the aquarium solution to resolve. This was there response.
Hi Graham
Thank you for your message.

This is a quirk of the design due to the location of the blue and white LED on the boards. you get a fraction more blue light shining one way and white the other on the large lens.

This is not specific to your particular light but effects all models.

Best regards
Stuart

I find this light quite unusable to be honest and to say it's a quirk is quite insulting.

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay I purchased the initial light directly from SA and they we super quick to replace it for me! But that replacement had the issue as well. Now AI is sending me the 3rd replacement. They said last week they were hoping to have it shipped, but I’m still waiting for a tracking number.

Funny this, the first light was far worse than the second, so I highly doubt it’s a consistent quirk in the design. If it was I would think they would all be the same.

I really love the light and my glow is perfectly fine. I really hope they can get me one that works as I love how these fit so closely to the top of the tank! Works so well for my placement in the living room!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sadly, it’s 100% a design issue.

IMG_0575.png

Blue on one side, white on the other. How the optical window lines up with each cluster determines how bad it will be. Until AI redesigns the cluster, it will always be an issue.

I’m just glad mine aren’t nearly as bad as some that I’ve seen on here. I was told a “fix had happened or was happening already” but I haven’t seen any proof of that. Mine is barely noticeable but it shouldn’t be there at all. True beta testing with good testers would have seen this immediately.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem, white on the power cord side, blue on the opposite. I think it is a great light, grows all I need it to.

I have a new tank though.

If I had a established tank this would be a no go for me.

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s not good to hear! I do love them and I absolutely love the fact that they are tight to the top of the tank. No hood or canopy needed and I have no light leakage from the side or glare when looking at the tank from any angle!

Nervous that the one they send me now will be worse. I guess I can always keep the current one if it is. If they could send me another and attach the power cord on the opposite end, maybe they would cancel each other out and I could still have my cords hidden on the one end of the tank:)

Plan to have two grow and one glow in the end. Way more par than my tank needs but with them riding on the tank I do think the blending will be better for me with three.

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my first one in the mail today from BRS. Same issue. Some of what I'm reading here is really disappointing in terms of receiving multiple defective units in a row. I agree this should have been an easy, immediate thing to notice with beta testers. I feel like they should be recalling the defective units from their distributors.

zimur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read about this issue but figured it had been resolved by now. This light seemed perfect for me so I ordered one from Saltwateraquarium and got it yesterday. Mine has the same problem of being more white on the corded side. Thankfully it’s not as bad as some of the pics that I’ve seen but it wasn’t a cheap light so this is very disappointing.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read about this issue but figured it had been resolved by now. This light seemed perfect for me so I ordered one from Saltwateraquarium and got it yesterday. Mine has the same problem of being more white on the corded side. Thankfully it’s not as bad as some of the pics that I’ve seen but it wasn’t a cheap light so this is very disappointing.
Is your tank new? And what size did you get?

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not good. I was thinking about adding one to the front of my maxspect razor to cut down on some shading.

Looks like I may hold off until we see some redesigned units or go with a different strip.

Unfortunate for a product with so much marketing hype.

zimur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank new? And what size did you get?
Yea it’s new. It’s a little fluval 13.5g that I set up 2 weeks ago (getting back into the hobby after 5 years). I got the 21 inch blade. The leds cover the whole display so I’m surprised it’s a problem on my setup.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 146 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back