AI/Current lighting hack or DIY Blades

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the other day I got a sales email about the different mounting systems of the new AI blade. The Blade Hybrid mount caught my eye because I wanted to round out my AI 26hd's I have on my 40g cube. I was previously thinking of buying some XHO's or something similar. Well I just happened to have a couple of Current USA 18" bars that I was going to use for a different tank. I got around to installing this yesterday and it worked out pretty good. The mounts that attached to the AI hybrid mount are Current USA ones, used with no modifications. I did have to go to the Depot to get a couple of #10 SS 1/2 machine screws and nuts to attach them to my AI bar because of the orientation of my lights. I feel you can do this hack with a few different lights, not just Current USA ones.
I created this just for a bit of supplemental lighting for the tank and I think it worked out great. For the "What did it really add folks"... About 25-75 par from bottom to the top. It did a nice job to fill in some of the shadow areas in the front and back of the tank. That is running 100% Blue and 30% White. Greens and Reds are 0.

The material used on this most of this was already installed, but I will list it anyway.

2X AI Hydra 26HD
2X Current USA 18" IC marine pro
4X Current USA clips
1X hanging kit (Amazon)
1X AI 15" extension bar
2X AI mounts
4x SS #10 screws and nuts
IMG_0996.jpeg
IMG_0997.jpeg
IMG_0998.jpeg

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it looks less like a "hack" and more an "off the shelf" mounting option. Well done! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Why Thank You!
Honestly, I think it took me longer to program the "80's VCR" style controller then it did to slap this together.
Scroll... Scroll... **** went past it... Scroll... Scroll... **** again went past it... Scroll... Scroll... **** forgot to hit enter...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why Thank You!
Honestly, I think it took me longer to program the "80's VCR" style controller then it did to slap this together.
Scroll... Scroll... **** went past it... Scroll... Scroll... **** again went past it... Scroll... Scroll... **** forgot to hit enter...
At least you didn't have to rewind the tape... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
looks very clean. i've played with the idea of making a hanging fixture for my lights.. i have 2 hydra 32hd and 2 reefbrite kits with each light. the ai mounting arm is nice, but does slightly shim when we walk passed the tank. gives me some anxiety, haha

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back