Ai hydra 52 overkill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SKYHIGGh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you guys love AI at BrS I have a hydra 52 non hd over a Innovative marine micro 30 the tank is I believe 20x20x20 cube 11 inches above the water line and I run these settings

6389717f560d7d24549ef37d5e022b50.png

Am I being dramatic and need to turn them down they’ve been running about 4 months at these settings more or less

What would you change them too?

lazlodawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your corals happy?

In all seriousness, that's a lot higher settings that my Hydra 52 over my JBJ 30. I'm sitting at about 50 across the blues and violets 8 on green and red and 19 on whites at peak. Mine is a mixed reef with only a couple of sps.

OP
OP
SKYHIGGh

SKYHIGGh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your corals happy?

In all seriousness, that's a lot higher settings that my Hydra 52 over my JBJ 30. I'm sitting at about 50 across the blues and violets 8 on green and red and 19 on whites at peak. Mine is a mixed reef with only a couple of sps.

Happy in sense of nothing has died recently I get polyp extension clam is growing and fully open majority of day. I’ve had 3 out 12 frags bleach but I think it’s from high alk more so than the light..

So I think there good to be honest but I’m also aware I could be being a bit dramatic as well hence the question

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you guys love AI at BrS I have a hydra 52 non hd over a Innovative marine micro 30 the tank is I believe 20x20x20 cube 11 inches above the water line and I run these settings
Am I being dramatic and need to turn them down they’ve been running about 4 months at these settings more or less
What would you change them too?

I think the important part of chasing these settings across LED fixtures really comes down to the PAR output it creates in your specific tank (and what coral types you're trying to cater to.) I think this is demonstrated very well in our WWC interviews we released the last few weeks. If you're shooting for a full SPS tank, like their 900gal and 500gal, a good goal to aim for is PAR between 150-350 throughout the tank. However, from last week's interview with the WWC 293gal mixed reef, you'll see that they average much lower than that from 100-250 PAR throughout the tank.

With that in mind and since we no longer have non-HD versions of these lights to test in house, I'd try to get my hands on a PAR meter and measure your tank to see if you fall within those ranges for the types of coral you're trying to keep. If you find that you're well over (which is definitely a possibility) you'd want to adjust the sliders equally to reduce overall PAR while maintaining the same spectrum.

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the important part of chasing these settings across LED fixtures really comes down to the PAR output it creates in your specific tank (and what coral types you're trying to cater to.) I think this is demonstrated very well in our WWC interviews we released the last few weeks. If you're shooting for a full SPS tank, like their 900gal and 500gal, a good goal to aim for is PAR between 150-350 throughout the tank. However, from last week's interview with the WWC 293gal mixed reef, you'll see that they average much lower than that from 100-250 PAR throughout the tank.

With that in mind and since we no longer have non-HD versions of these lights to test in house, I'd try to get my hands on a PAR meter and measure your tank to see if you fall within those ranges for the types of coral you're trying to keep. If you find that you're well over (which is definitely a possibility) you'd want to adjust the sliders equally to reduce overall PAR while maintaining the same spectrum.

Which Par meter is recommended for the moderate to serious reefer? Thanks Randy!

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Par meter is recommended for the moderate to serious reefer? Thanks Randy!

Well, I certainly wouldn't personally go out and pay for a PAR meter like the LiCor we use in our testing, because honestly we're really looking for ballpark numbers to aim for. The difference between 200 and 210 PAR isn't likely going to a large enough impact (if any at all) to the point that I would feel I need to make drastic changes to my lighting. That said, check out THIS PORTION of the interview I did with WWC on the 900gal tank. I describe the differences between the Apogee MQ510 and MQ210. (Also keep in mind that the Neptune PMK sensor uses the same sensor as the MQ210).

My best recommendation, either bite the bullet and buy your own PAR meter, which you might loan or rent out to your fellow reefers; or come together as a local reefing group or club or convince your LFS to buy one together and share as a community. We did bring up the possibility of starting a rental service for this same purpose here, but I'm not sure if/when that would come to fruition. :)

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well tickle my fancy! Thank u.. I went to the tool room at work today and it dawned on me these indoor garden lighting meters are the same thing! I just never once thought to think they were water proof! lol. 20181010_120453.jpg

Wilsonfeliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well tickle my fancy! Thank u.. I went to the tool room at work today and it dawned on me these indoor garden lighting meters are the same thing! I just never once thought to think they were water proof! lol. 20181010_120453.jpg

what about your numbers, did you already measure PAR in your tank?

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the hydra 26 HD. What's the difference on the non HD models?

Nice luck on the Li-Cor Pigfarmer!!

David

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the hydra 26 HD. What's the difference on the non HD models?
Nice luck on the Li-Cor Pigfarmer!!
David

If you're asking the difference between HD and non-HD, the "HD" stands for hyper drive which allows you to overdrive LED channels past 100%. So if I'm only using partial intensity on my green channel, the HD lights will allow me to overdrive my royal blue beyond 100%.

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about your numbers, did you already measure PAR in your tank?
I did. I have 3x hydra HD 26s over a a reefer 525.. I'm running the lower watt david saxby settings which is not pushing any color above 100%.... my sand bed is hitting 105par.. up top I'm more around 470.. putting on a aquatic life t5 hybrid with the 26s today.. What I feel I've learned 1 year deep with my leds is they are much more powerful than I was giving them credit for and most of my corals were getting to much intensity. since I switched to the saxby lower watt program my corals have grown more in the last 2 months then they did in the prior 6 months.. over lighting is not good

Last edited:

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did. I have 3x hydra HD 26s over a a reefer 525.. I'm running the lower watt david saxby settings and my sand bed is hitting 105par.. up top I'm more around 470.. putting on a t5 hybrid withers the 26s today..

At 470 and adding T5s?? Whew that's pretty high! Are you planning on reducing the Hydra intensities?

I only ask because of the extensive PAR testing and data collection I did on the WWC tanks and seeing that they run in a range between 150-350 average throughout the entire 900gal and 500gal SPS dominant tanks. For me personally, their success to too obvious for me not to try and mimic. :)

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 470 and adding T5s?? Whew that's pretty high! Are you planning on reducing the Hydra intensities?

I only ask because of the extensive PAR testing and data collection I did on the WWC tanks and seeing that they run in a range between 150-350 average throughout the entire 900gal and 500gal SPS dominant tanks. For me personally, their success to too obvious for me not to try and mimic. :)
yea deff going to be reducing a bit more.. I have no corals getting above 350 where they sit now and thos are my acros. the 470 was like an inch or 2 deep

Last edited:

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180929_110935.jpg

your video is what set me on this path! lol. BRS videos are God! thank u guys for your deadication to this hobby!

OP
OP
SKYHIGGh

SKYHIGGh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up turning them down a bit to see the difference in a month or two!

Maybe I need the overdrive is that big of difference I guess less power on white means more power on blue but if you don’t even run at 100% how big of a difference?

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did. I have 3x hydra HD 26s over a a reefer 525.. I'm running the lower watt david saxby settings which is not pushing any color above 100%.... my sand bed is hitting 105par.. up top I'm more around 470.. putting on a aquatic life t5 hybrid with the 26s today.. What I feel I've learned 1 year deep with my leds is they are much more powerful than I was giving them credit for and most of my corals were getting to much intensity. since I switched to the saxby lower watt program my corals have grown more in the last 2 months then they did in the prior 6 months.. over lighting is not good

What is the saxby lower watt program?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back