AI hydra26 and old house electricity

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older model AI Hydra26 that came from the seller when I bought my tank (Red Sea Reefer 170). I set up the tank when I moved to my new house, so I don't know how we'll it worked to begin with but the seller said it worked fine and he just upgraded.

For background, I know my (c. 1920s) house is on a 110v circuit (not 220, like most new builds). It was on the list of upgrades when we bought it but it hasn't caused any issues until now. I currently have a Kessil on the tank running fine but wanted to upgrade par.

The AI light seems to only work properly on the (newish) GCFI outlets in the kitchen. On all the others it powers on enough to connect to the app but does not seem to pull enough to turn on the lights. On an outlet with nothing else on it it will light for a few seconds and turn off again and on again, etc. If it's on a power strip - like the one doing all the aquarium controlling - it only powers on enough to connect to the app but will not activate the light itself.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? Am I stuck with the Kessil or will a newer version of the AI light draw less power? I'd rather not have to pull the tank apart to upgrade the outlet behind it (or get an electrician) just for some extra par.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older model AI Hydra26 that came from the seller when I bought my tank (Red Sea Reefer 170). I set up the tank when I moved to my new house, so I don't know how we'll it worked to begin with but the seller said it worked fine and he just upgraded.

For background, I know my (c. 1920s) house is on a 110v circuit (not 220, like most new builds). It was on the list of upgrades when we bought it but it hasn't caused any issues until now. I currently have a Kessil on the tank running fine but wanted to upgrade par.

The AI light seems to only work properly on the (newish) GCFI outlets in the kitchen. On all the others it powers on enough to connect to the app but does not seem to pull enough to turn on the lights. On an outlet with nothing else on it it will light for a few seconds and turn off again and on again, etc. If it's on a power strip - like the one doing all the aquarium controlling - it only powers on enough to connect to the app but will not activate the light itself.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? Am I stuck with the Kessil or will a newer version of the AI light draw less power? I'd rather not have to pull the tank apart to upgrade the outlet behind it (or get an electrician) just for some extra par.
Hydra power supply only pulls 1.5a at the wall according to the ps.
Now on startup it can pull a bunch more but that is only VERY briefly.

You really need an electrician on this one.

BUT it sounds more like an AI power supply problem.

OP
OP
sfgabe

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydra power supply only pulls 1.5a at the wall according to the ps.
Now on startup it can pull a bunch more but that is only VERY briefly.

You really need an electrician on this one.

BUT it sounds more like an AI power supply problem.

Just ordered a new power supply as you suggested. Will update when it comes in!

OP
OP
sfgabe

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone with similar issues, I got the new power strip and confirmed that was the problem. Works as expected now!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 60 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.5%
Back