AI Nero 5 Issue

Phresh Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I didn't want to create another thread but I couldn't find anyone having this specific issue.

I own two AI Nero 5's. I've not used them for around 18 months and had been sitting in my garage. I just set up my new aquarium and put these on and unfortunately neither seem to be working. Oddly enough they're both doing exactly the same thing.

Essentially they'll turn on, connect to the app perfectly fine, the controller reacts properly, everything appears fine, but they just don't spin.

I've opened them up, there's nothing blocking them, they seem to spin fairly freely when manually trying to spin them. When they turn on they spin for about .5 seconds and then that's it. I can select the "Pump Off" option in the app and then hit "Pump On" and they'll again spin for half a second and won't go any further. The controller maintains it's green light so there's nothing on the controller suggesting there are any issues.

I've done a regular reset, a soft reset and a hard reset and nothing seems to work.

I am using aftermarket power adapters on the pumps but they are the right power adapters for the pumps. I can't find the originals anywhere, unfortunately. I can't imagine this would be an issue as they still turn on and operate all properly (with the exception of the obvious non-spinning!) I was hoping to find a solution and if not, could someone please send me a photo of the power adapter they have for their nero?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try deleting them from the app and then reinstall in app. Also they may need a firmware update.

OP
OP
P

Phresh Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try deleting them from the app and then reinstall in app. Also they may need a firmware update.
Yeah have done this. Firmware is all up to date. Do you know if there’s anyway to pull them apart further than the blue propeller and cage? Like can you access the motor at all?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you have the pump in the tank... if the pump thinks it's out of the water, it will shut off. You may be able to disassemble further but I don't think I would.

OP
OP
P

Phresh Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Yes, but it was my own fault. I simply misread the details of the power adapter I was using. Make sure you're definitely using the right adapters (I bought an after-market one that supplied the right level of power and now they work perfectly).

Even if you think you're using the right ones, double and triple check! Otherwise I can't help you haha, sorry.

notclear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue on one of my 4 Nero 5's. The power adapter is the right one that came originally with the pump. My question is how can I get rid of or bypass the controller and connect the pump directly to the power adapter? I just need on/off on that pump!

Justin Allen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is old but I had the issue of them not working and the solution for me was updating the time to my current time in the app, now the problem I am running into is that after a few days it seems to be going into some standby mode or something. It’s spinning but very slow and won’t reset or enable scheduling until I unplug it

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back