AI Nero 5 killing fish

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know I own a nero 5 and a nero 3. Neither have killed anything in my tank, and the 5 runs 2 max of 80%.

I do not run any guards either, and have not had a single fish get sucked into my PH's.

FWIW I run the nero 3 at 100% about 3" off my sandbed. Heck my lantern basslet perches on the things almost all day.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues with two Nero 5's in a 120 gal located on the back wall. I run mine in random mode, from 20-65% currently. Occasionally at 100% for an hour when trying to clean detritus from the rock pre water change. Didn't run the AI guards until I added my 1st nem. Never had a fish sucked in. Also had the Jebao clones slw 20 series with no issues either.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your funeral. They released the guards for a reason. The company itself knows the shape of these causes a vacuum. It sucked a cleaner shrimp off my tanks bottom all the way up to my waterline and onto the guard. This was at night when it only ran at 10%. Also while some have said other issues have been the cause. It seems a bit more divided. It’s not most.
I'm calling complete bull on this one.

No way in heck can a pump at 10%(they barely move at that percentage) cause enough of a vortex to suck a healthy animal(srew healthy, wouldn't even happen to a dead animal) off the sandbed even up a couple inches onto the pump. Let alone from the sandbed to the waterline(no idea what size tank you have, but were talking several inches here).

You sure it wasn't a molt? Did you actually see this happen, or just found the shrimp on the pump? I'm guessing the latter.

Listen I get it, you don't like the pumps, but your stories are getting wilder, and wilder to the point they are absurd.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No way in heck can a pump at 10%(they barely move at that percentage) cause enough of a vortex to suck a healthy animal(srew healthy, wouldn't even happen to a dead animal) off the sandbed even up a couple inches onto the pump. Let alone from the sandbed to the waterline(no idea what size tank you have, but were talking several inches here).

You sure it wasn't a molt? Did you actually see this happen, or just found the shrimp on the pump? I'm guessing the latter.

Listen I get it, you don't like the pumps, but your stories are getting wilder, and wilder to the point they are absurd.

I agree. Doesn't make sense. All four of mine cycle to nearly 100% throughout the day, I have never had anything, even the smallest of fish get sucked in and they will swim inches from it.

jskidds2294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I watched the shrimp with my AI at 10% start to wobble when it was under it as if it wasn’t able to stay on the bottom easily. The AI was at the top 3/4th of the 40Breeder and the shrimp was on top of 2 inch worth of sand at the bottom. The next morning it was dead on the fan still at 10% as it hadn’t ramped up to 25% yet. I’m 100% sure this piece of garbage creates a suction from the shape as I’ve watched the suction issues my self. It also pulls the shed skin after the shrimp molts all the way from the bottom onto it. It did this twice before it got the shrimp itself. Call BS all you want but my chromis, tang, and now cleaner shrimp are proof enough for me.
Also nothing about my “stories” are getting wilder. I’m simply stating what has happened. When the deaths happened yes it was at night when I couldn’t remove the caught animal. But I have watched it suck on fish, and watched it make the shrimp get traction problems at the bottom of the tank.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the shrimp with my AI at 10% start to wobble when it was under it as if it wasn’t able to stay on the bottom easily. The AI was at the top 3/4th of the 40Breeder and the shrimp was on top of 2 inch worth of sand at the bottom. The next morning it was dead on the fan still at 10% as it hadn’t ramped up to 25% yet. I’m 100% sure this piece of garbage creates a suction from the shape as I’ve watched the suction issues my self. It also pulls the shed skin after the shrimp molts all the way from the bottom onto it. It did this twice before it got the shrimp itself. Call BS all you want but my chromis, tang, and now cleaner shrimp are proof enough for me.

A healthy, strong, fish will not get sucked into a powerhead. Again, I have FOUR running nearly at 100% and have NEVER had anything killed by them. I have had small Chromis swim inches from them and they were completely fine.

jskidds2294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Doesn't make sense. All four of mine cycle to nearly 100% throughout the day, I have never had anything, even the smallest of fish get sucked in and they will swim inches from it.
Then your lucky. Even AI admitted there is a problem with fish getting caught and suction when they released a guard for a pre existing item rather then waiting for the next one. If it wasn’t a major flaw then AI would have waited and not have spent the RD, and shipping costs making and shipping this thing to previous customers. As I garentee this guard won’t fit on their next gen of fans so it was not about profit it was about saving their butt liability wise in the future.

jskidds2294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A healthy, strong, fish will not get sucked into a powerhead. Again, I have FOUR running nearly at 100% and have NEVER had anything killed by them. I have had small Chromis swim inches from them and they were completely fine.
Good for you. It happened to my fish that were eating healthy at the time. Once again AI spent Research and Development money to release a guard that made them no money for a product they already sold. That’s enough proof that this product has known issues by even the company.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back