AI Nero 5 killing fish

RhinoChaser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the AI Nero 5 and really like it, but.... it’s killed 3 of my fish. 2 tangs and now my mandarin gobie. The tangs have both been sucked on to the back of the pump and stuck there and tonight, I was enjoying watching my little mandarin swim around the tank. He got to close to the pump and it sucked him in. I’ve immediately disconnected the pump and in the morning will be switching back to my gyre. I think I’m feeling a little traumatized and ticked off right now having witnessed this. Anyone else experience this??

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Healthy fish should not be sucked into a power head. The Mandy, I could see this happening, though I've never had one do that. Tangs are very fast to react. Let's see what others say.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Healthy fish should be sucked into a power head. The Mandy, I could see this happening, though I've never had one do that. Tangs are very fast to react. Let's see what others say.
I agree. A healthy fish should be able to pull themselves out of a powerheads suction. Unless the powerhead has the power of a vacuum in space, I suspect your fish were not 100% up to par.

Max!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phrase "curiosity kills" could apply here in more ways than one. However, for a tang to get sucked into a power head theres got to be a third party at play. They're the Usain Bolt of the fish world imo.You said you witnessed your mandarin get sucked in? Was it instantaneous or did he fight it at all?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno, here’s a long thread on issues with the AI Nero. You’re not alone with your experience of healthy fish being sucked into the rear mesh cage of the pump. Those accounts are toward the end of the long discussion...

OP
OP
RhinoChaser

RhinoChaser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tangs were perfectly healthy. I agree, I would never think a tang could get sucked in. Thier lightning quick. But it happened. The mandarin was swimming around the top of the tank , it got within about an inch of the pump and it sucked him right through. He swam down to the sand and minutes later was another casualty.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Healthy fish should not be sucked into a power head. The Mandy, I could see this happening, though I've never had one do that. Tangs are very fast to react. Let's see what others say.

I lost a Canary Blenny that was perfectly healthy and was sucked into the back of my Nero 5. The Blenny loved to swim along the glass sides of my tank, I went out for about 2 hours and when I returned he was gone! :mad:

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a Canary Blenny that was perfectly healthy and was sucked into the back of my Nero 5. The Blenny loved to swim along the glass sides of my tank, I went out for about 2 hours and when I returned he was gone!
Sorry for your loss :(
I didnt realize this was a known issue with these pumps. Very unfortunate.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss :(
I didnt realize this was a known issue with these pumps. Very unfortunate.

I would like to share with you my latest post in the 9 page thread titled, "Problems with new Nero 5 pumps" which includes Ai's response and my take on this issue.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I even asked Evan West on the 3D forum if he would be interested in making a rear guard for the Nero 5 as he is currently selling replacements for the Vortech wavemakers and unfortunately he couldn't as he didn't own one to use as a model in order to make the replacement.

Borg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a porcupine puffer last month. The little guy kept getting sucked into the Pump.

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phrase "curiosity kills" could apply here in more ways than one. However, for a tang to get sucked into a power head theres got to be a third party at play. They're the Usain Bolt of the fish world imo.You said you witnessed your mandarin get sucked in? Was it instantaneous or did he fight it at all?

You've maybe never seen a firefish move. Now you see em, now you don't. Lol

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It still amazes me that Ai won't acknowledge this design flaw in the Nero 5 and offer their customers a fix! :mad:
Maybe they don't have a fix.

And maybe they don't see it as a design flaw, and attribute most of this to "user error" in some way.

And I'm not a AI fanboy or anything. I own zero AI products and don't plan on getting any, mainly because they have map pricing

Back