Problems with new Nero 5 pumps

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 2 Nero 5's in my 66g reef tank for a couple of weeks. Magnets on pump are advertised for up to 1/2". My glass is 12mm ( 0.47" to be exact) and the pump barely stays on concave inside magnet. Every time I try to move it to slightly change angle it falls off very easily. Tank is just finished cycling and even though I see no algae on glass, I clean it every other day. Can anyone recommend a stronger magnet for inside or I might just superglue pump to inside magnet. Inner magnet is concave with a soft "foam-like" lining that pump sticks to but only 15degree movement which is really nothing, so thats why I'm thinking of gluing it on.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 2 Nero 5's in my 66g reef tank for a couple of weeks. Magnets on pump are advertised for up to 1/2". My glass is 12mm ( 0.47" to be exact) and the pump barely stays on concave inside magnet. Every time I try to move it to slightly change angle it falls off very easily. Tank is just finished cycling and even though I see no algae on glass, I clean it every other day. Can anyone recommend a stronger magnet for inside or I might just superglue pump to inside magnet. Inner magnet is concave with a soft "foam-like" lining that pump sticks to but only 15degree movement which is really nothing, so thats why I'm thinking of gluing it on.

Bump. That stinks.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received response from AI asking for video of weak magnet side holding pump. (*I have 2 of these pumps with same problem). 1st vid shows by just touching or trying to adjust angle pumps easily falls off. 2nd vid is pump on pulse mode - 35% - each time it revs up it moves a little back & forth. Remember AI says Nero's are good for up to 1/2" ( 12.7mm). My glass is 12mm - 0.47" so technically I shouldn't be having any problems. *No algae on glass, I clean every other day.

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please update.. I just bought 2 Nero 5’s for my Red Sea reefer 250 (1/2 inch glass). Haven’t even put water in tank yet but I may try to fit them in glass tomorrow..

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please update.. I just bought 2 Nero 5’s for my Red Sea reefer 250 (1/2 inch glass). Haven’t even put water in tank yet but I may try to fit them in glass tomorrow..
Hopefully AI will get back to me today after I sent them these 2 videos. But I honestly don't think they're going to go into immediate production & make stronger magnets. They'll probably wait until a lot more customers complain ( and especially if their sales decline ) which could be months from now. Mine are past return for $$ refund. So I'll probably glue the pump to the magnet. If u can return them do so & buy the new maxspect xf300 gyre pumps. They are a few bucks cheaper, are more quiet than 200 series model, improved performance between cleanings and have a controller that offers more options than the Nero 5. That's what I would do if I could return my nero's.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully AI will get back to me today after I sent them these 2 videos. But I honestly don't think they're going to go into immediate production & make stronger magnets. They'll probably wait until a lot more customers complain ( and especially if their sales decline ) which could be months from now. Mine are past return for $$ refund. So I'll probably glue the pump to the magnet. If u can return them do so & buy the new maxspect xf300 gyre pumps. They are a few bucks cheaper, are more quiet than 200 series model, improved performance between cleanings and have a controller that offers more options than the Nero 5. That's what I would do if I could return my nero's.

Earlier today AI got back to me saying the videos I sent them will be forwarded to the "engineering team" to get their perspective on the pump magnets. With this being Friday & holiday coming up I probably won't hear back from them until middle of next week. Will post here as soon as they respond back to me.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me the problem has nothing to do with glass thickness if the pump is falling off the inside magnet - unless the ‘holding’ force comes from the external side (which seems unlikely)?

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Took a video of mine.. very disappointed. Its falling off with minimal effort.

If u can please send the video to AI customer support. The more complaints & proof - videos - the sooner they will correct it.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me the problem has nothing to do with glass thickness if the pump is falling off the inside magnet - unless the ‘holding’ force comes from the external side (which seems unlikely)?

The outer magnet is strong, it's the inner magnet that is very weak (and probably the magnet in the pump itself. I have a nero 5 on my 75g African cichlid tank , the glass is 3/8" thick and the pump has no problem staying attached to the magnet. The screw up here is basically the magnets are only good up to 3/8" & not 1/2". The engineering team somehow missed this in figuring strength of magnet vs glass thickness.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Nero 5 pump arrives tomorrow. I will be very up happy if this is the case.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Nero 5 pump arrives tomorrow. I will be very up happy if this is the case.
Is ur tank glass 3/8"? If so let us know if you have any problems with the pump staying put.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 120g 1/4" is too thin. It should be at least 3/8". So you should be ok.

I looked it up. It’s 10mm so that’s a little over 3/8”.

I should be good to go?

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked it up. It’s 10mm so that’s a little over 3/8”.

I should be good to go?
You should be ok. It's just a bit over 3/8". I would say anything over 10mm is too thick.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I got one coming and another one im trying to order. I hope these are not duds. Thats the issue with buying a new product, no one knows all the flaws until the 2nd second model.

U

User1

View Badges
Interesting thread. I'm not going to bag on the vendor but what I'm scratching my head over is why they didn't test various glass and acrylic thickness. Not like this is super expensive to set up. Visit local glass and plastic shop, order a pane of glass, mount on some 2 x 4's to hold steady, attach various models and proceed to test. Problem solved.

Looks like they may have a Mars probe issue on their hands. Something so simple has a math conversion or cheap purchase (i.e. not thinking of it) could have prevented a re-design or disaster.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back