Oceanic 60 Gallon Hexagonal Half Back Tank

Patricia Hefner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last.jpg

February the 18th of 2018 was the beginning of a new hobby for our entire family. I found a used tank with a wood stand for $300.00.

Items that came with the tank:
  • A few Dry Rocks and Coral
  • Aquarium hood with two T8 Light bulbs
  • 2 hang on the back hot mag pumps they use ½ cup activated carbon in each filter
  • 1 hang on the back protein skimmer
My best friend (Tim) cleaned the aquarium glass, replaced dry silicone inside the tank and refinished the wood cabinet while the youngest baby girl (Jordyn) and the youngest grandson (Bryson) discussed livestock. They couldn’t wait to get Nemo. The excitement was indescribable.

Before proceeding we had to choose our aquarium setup: Fish-Only, FOWLR or a Reef Marine tank. There is a big difference in equipment and supplies needed. We chose to have a Reef Marine Aquarium.
NOTE: 06-17-2018 Wish I had purchased a larger 120 to 150 gallon aquarium with a sump.

EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES LIST:

Aquatic Solutions, West Monroe, LA:

• 40lb bag of Sea Floor Grade Reef Sand
  • RPM Reef Pro Marine Salt
  • API Master Test kit
  • Hydrometer
  • We also received a great deal of valuable information from an experienced Aquarist
Amazon.com:
  • Premium Activated Carbon
  • Intake strainers for HOT Mag Power Filters
  • 2 submersible Circulation Power Heads
  • Aquarium Heater with Thermometer
  • Clear Aquarium Silicone Sealant
  • Magnetic Aquarium Fish Tank Glass Algae Cleaner Scrubber- Floating
  • Penn Plax WZ20 Wizard Glass Aquarium Algae Scraper And Scrubber Combo Kit
  • TAAM 2 Piece Rio Coral Feeder Medium and Small,
  • Maxi-Jet 727085 1200 295 GPH Water Pump for circulating water when mixing salt and backup pump
  • AquaMaxx HOB-1.5 Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer
  • DrTim's Aquatics Ammonium chloride: (for fishless cycling)
NOTE: 02-28-2018 drtimsaquatics.com: Instructions on how to use ammonium chloride to cycle an aquarium without using fish to produce ammonia. The thought of an awful smell in the room from dropping dead shrimp in the tank to cycle was not an option for me.​

Walmart:
  • 60 gallons of distilled water. (50 gallons used to mix saltwater, 10 gallons stored for top off.
NOTE: 06-28-2018: I plan to invest in a Reverse Osmosis/Deionization (RO/DI) - Aquarium Reef Water Filter System. (*If I had purchased a RO/DI in the beginning, I feel like it would have more than paid for itself by now.) Thinking the distilled water may contribute to my phosphate levels.​

Ace Hardware:
  • 3 Leaktite 5 Gallon Clear Plastic buckets with measurements printed down the outside.
NOTE: Having measurements on the side of these buckets is convenient when performing water changes. The buckets are designated for aquarium only.​

SETTING UP THE TANK:

CHOOSING THE RIGHT LOCATION:
My oldest daughter (Amber) and Tim set the tank in its forever location. We made sure there were enough outlets, no direct sunlight and plenty of air circulation; Along with an accessible exit to remove water from the tank when needed.

GETTING THE TANK LEVEL:
Amber and I tried to use a level to make sure our tank was level. NOTE: After filling the tank ½ full, we called Tim for backup. He had to raise one side of the tank to set spacers underneath the cabinet. Our water was higher on one end of the tank than the other. We two girls did not check every angle as we should and concrete floors do not mean everything will set level.

ROCK AND SAND:
We chose to use Sea Floor Grade Reef Sand because larger sand particles can harm sand sifting gobies and other bottom dwellers. Note: Aquatic Solutions suggested I poke tiny holes in the bottom of the bag of sand and run water through it until the water was clear. This took a lot of time and patience.

Being careful to set my rock-scape on the shallow bed of sand and then placing the remaining sand around the rock. I made sure there would be plenty of room between the rock and the tank walls; giving plenty of openings through the rock for water flow and hiding places for inhabitants along with allowing adequate room to clean the sand and glass.

Note: 07-5-2018 the rock has fallen on one end of the tank a couple times while cleaning the sand bed. Wishing I had spent more time gluing, concrete molding or placing pvc pipe through drilled holes in the rock before the original setup.

MIXING THE SALT AND FILLING THE TANK
SUPPLY LIST:

• 5 gallon buckets to mix saltwater (This took a while because I only had 3 buckets; But it worked.)
  • Maxi-jet water pump and power heads (Place at bottom of buckets to keep water and salt circulating while mixing)
  • Aquarium Heater (To bring water to correct temperature)
  • Thermometer
  • Hydrometer to test salinity my aim was 1.025
  • An old Large Towel for spills
  • Syphon Hose to connect to maxi-jet pump (transport water slowly from bucket to tank)
NOTE: To avoid adding too much salt, we used less salt than instructed on the directions. We mixed the saltwater while testing with the hydrometer every 30 minutes. I found that it was easier to add salt while mixing than it was to add water
NOTE: I made a note of the exact gallons of saltwater placed in the tank. This is useful when calculating livestock, medicine and adding other trace elements. The 60 gallon tank held 50 gallons of saltwater because the rock and substrate took volume from the tank.
NOTE: I use distilled fresh water to top off the tank when water evaporates. When viewing the parameter chart attached; Notice my salinity rising because the water slowly evaporated but the salt remains in the tank. I use saltwater ONLY when performing a water change.

EQUIPMENT SETUP AND PLACEMENT:
  • I ran water through the carbon until the water was clear, adding ½ cup of carbon in each reservoir of the hot mag pumps. The two pumps were set on the back of the tank at each end.
  • The protein skimmer was placed on the back left side of the tank.
  • Two submersible Circulation Power Heads were placed at each end of the tank (center top) about 3 inches below the water surface. One power head (right side of the tank) pointed left toward the front to keep water moving. The other (left side of the tank) pointed to the back side avoid dead spots. This setup helped to keep particulate matter suspended for a longer period of time to be removed by the skimmer and hot mag filtration. The two pumps and skimmer also helped with water surface agitation.
WHILE WAITING FOR THE TANK TO CYCLE:
I compiled a wish list of the cleaning crew, fish, corals and anemones.… Checking all compatibility charts and reading forums to be sure all fish and invertebrate were reef safe and all inhabitants would get along.

NOTE: I added inhabitants every few weeks to give the tank time to adjust to each newcomer while learning the hard way that each inhabitant needs their own space/rock/area. I began purchasing the rock that the inhabitant was using at the store and had to rearrange rock scape a few times because my fish became aggressive to any newcomer. They can get territorial of their domain rock and swim area.

There are a lot of free information sources online. I read more than one article on each subject matter as there are different opinions on everything and each aquarium set up is different according to the equipment, size of tank and inhabitants you choose. There are handy (fish, coral and anemone) compatibility charts online to make sure livestock is compatible. I made notes of their requirements: Food – lighting – Learning where to place coral and anemones in the tank (top, middle or bottom) and specific water requirements….

NEW WATER CHANGE and CLEANING SCHEDULE
  • First I clean the wave makers, heater, back glass and inside equipment. Then I blow off the rocks with the wave maker while I have it unattached. Then I clean the sand while I replace 15 gallons of saltwater.
  • I wait a week later to disassemble, clean and replace filters in one of the hot mag pumps.
  • The 2nd week I clean the protein skimmer.
  • The 3rd week I clean and replace the filter in the other hot mag pump.
I began splitting the cleaning schedule after reading several comments and articles about cleaning tanks.

NEW LIGHTING EQUIPMENT
03/20/2018
: 48” REEF Aquatic Life LED Aquarium Light Fixture can be programmed to slowly turn on or off over a period of time to create a Sunrise and Sunset effect - Built-in Moonlights add shimmering effect throughout the aquarium.

NEW EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES:
03-22-2018
Preparing for Coral and anemones. They need really good water levels to survive
  • Master reef test kit and Magnesium test kit
  • Brightwell Aquatics supplement: 1 Magnesium, 1 Calcium and 1 Alkalin KH Buffer
04-08-2018 For spot cleaning sand bed in between water changes
  • EHEIM Quick Vac Pro Automatic Gravel Cleaner and Sludge Extractor
05-19-2018 Aiming to lower nitrate from 5 to 0 and phosphates from .25 to 0 between water changes. These two levels have never dropped to 0 even after a water change. I am also thinking it may have something to do with the distilled water that I have been using to mix my salt. Needing to invest in a ro/di system but want to study more on the setups before making the purchase.
  • I removed the activated carbon from the right side (HOT Mag) pump and replaced it with Seachem De-Nitrate Filter Media.
  • Plant Green Finger Algae and Mermaids Fin
06-25-2018
  • 1 hang on the back refugium with pump and light from amazon and Cheato micro algae

LIVESTOCK: Fish, Inverts, Coral, Anemones

03/20/2018:
blennynstarpolypsm.gif
Live rock and small cleaning crew. I did not purchase a full cleaning crew. I feared
my tank would not have enough food. I fed a few algae pellets and a couple crab pellets each day to be sure they wouldn’t go hungry.
  • 2 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs - Crusty and Crabby They need extra shells as they like to change homes often. I feed them 4 tiny Hikari Crab Cuisine Sinking Sticks twice a week.
  • 2 Turbo Snails -Theo and Turbo I moved Theo to my quarantine tank on a rock loaded with hair algae. She ate every bit of the algae from the big rock by the next morning.
  • Lawnmower BlennyBlenny Blenny likes to sit atop his favorite rock and watch anyone who enters the aquarium room. He eats off the rock, glass and filter covers. I feed him algae pellets.
03/30/2018:
  • Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp - Duke: He cleans every fish and coral along with anything else that he can touch or ride. Blenny swims by Duke like a carwash and Duke climbs onto his back to clear out his gills. Then Blenny opens his mouth and allows Duke to clean like a dentist. I did not believe this when I read the article. It took me seeing it with my own eyes.
  • Ocellaris Misbar Clown Fish - Pedro: Pedro is still the baby of the tank. I feed Pedro thawed brine shrimp in the mornings and a small mixture of flakes and algae pellets in the afternoon. He likes Blenny’s pellets and sometimes takes the crab sticks for a ride but never eats the sticks.
04-02-2018
cleanershrimpnCondysm.gif
  • Condy Anemone - Medusa I wouldn’t normally purchase anything that looked bleached and seriously ill. I didn’t really feel like my tank was ready for an anemone either. I noticed Medusa barely moving on the substrate while viewing tanks at a large chain store. I kept going back to her thinking she was surely going to die. There was no way that I could leave her in that store!! I feed Medusa small cuts of thawed brine shrimp.
Note: 06-28-2018 Medusa moved three times in our tank before finding her happy place. She has been in the same place near the sand bed since 04-18. She is now a flesh color with purple tips and has grown about 2 inches. A beautiful sight under the LED lights while swaying in the water. She is still my favorite baby nem.​

04-10-2018
miasm.gif

• 1 Clown Fish - Ocellaris MisbarsMia: Mia is the boss of the tank. She has her swim area, her rock, her sand bowl and her way. There is no fish that will stand up to her. She swings her tail and chases fish out of her corner.
  • Live Rock
  • 2 Cloudy DamselsBonnie and Clyde We returned both damsels to the pet store. They were true bullies.

Note: 04-07-2018 I received small cuts on my hands after re-arranging the rocks. These cuts were red and inflamed by the next day. My hands burned and felt like I had grabbed a cactus but I couldn’t see anything in the cuts. I did not have live coral (Zoas or Polyps) in the tank and did not wear gloves. Vinegar eased the pain and the redness began going away. By the next day, I could pull tiny clear stiff pieces of something out of my fingertips. I believe the dry coral, bristle worm (that I found later) or the live rock had something on it that caused the irritation. I learned to use THICK rubber gloves when handling rock or dry coral.
04-29-2018
  • 3 FireFish – Dartfish - Brittany, Gretchen, and Regina: A.K.A. The Chic Flic (NEVER PURCHASE THREE) Sad to admit; we only have Brittany and Regina now. They were all three in the same tank at the store. This is where I learned to study more than one source before taking someone’s word for anything dealing with the tank or its inhabitants. Every tank is different. They eat algae pellets, brine shrimp and flakes.
  • 2 Green hairy rhodactis mushroom – These two will eat brine shrimp and coral frenzy. Pedro plays in them.
  • Green Mushroom Metallic Green Mushroom Blue Mushroom Discoma dawydoffi I offer the mushrooms Coral Frenzy Food with a dropper, while the pumps and power heads are turned off.
05-12-2018
bubblessplitsm.gif

• Bubble Tip Anemone – Bubbles: I purchased the anemone for my clowns. But Mia and Pedro would not have anything to do with Bubbles.
Note: 05-25-2018 within a couple weeks Bubbles split.

miabubblesnbabysm.gif
We then had Bubbles and Baby. They stay on the same rock within a couple inches of each other. They eat brine shrimp. I offer them coral frenzy while feeding the rest of my tank.

NOTE: 06-09-2018 Mia had been very territorial of her sand bowl that she had dug. In an attempt to get Mia to notice the bubble tip anemones, I set the rock that Bubbles and Baby was on, in Mia’s sand bowl.

Mia swam back and forth past that mean rock that had taken over her sand bowl. She was swinging her tail at the anemones and pecking at the rock. This went on all afternoon. The next morning while having my coffee, I observed Mia swinging her tail and nipping at Bubbles. Mia finally dove into the anemone. She has not left bubbles and baby since then. She cares for them both.

06-01-2018
Dugbyhishomesm.gif
  • 1 diamond watchman goby - Valencienna puellaris - Dug: We purchased Dug to clean the sand bed. Dug jumped out of the tank while the worker was trying to catch him. Dug had jumped out of the tank earlier that morning while a lady was cleaning his tank. He has done well in our covered tank. He eats algae pellets and food from the sand bed. He also piles sand over his home several times a day. Dug is a very entertaining addition to the tank.
    Note: 07-03-2018 Dug tosses small shells on Mia’s side of the tank and Mia pushes them back on Dug’s side of the tank. Very entertaining
06-07-2018
  • Flame hawkfish – Sherlock: After acclimating Sherlock for 30 minutes, we placed him in his new home. He swam all around our tank for hours. He tried jumping out several times. I was really concerned his stress would kill him and I had no idea what to do. We left the lights on moonlight the rest of the afternoon. By the next morning, he had found his cave at the top rocks. Sherlock is now the investigator of the tank. If anything moves inside or outside of the aquarium, Sherlock is watching. If he is not fed regular he harasses blenny and the dartfish.
  • Green Star Polyp: Clavularia viridi encrusting over rock. Best to set rock in sand bed away from other rocks. It will encrust over any hard surface taking over if placed on rocks cape.
  • Orange Tonga Rhodactis mushroom
  • Sphagetti Coral
    Erythropodium caribaeorum
  • Yellow Montastea
  • Blue Heteroxenia
06/10/2018
  • 2 Emerald Green, Mithrax/Mithraculus Crabs: Caribbean Sea (one crab came as a hitchhiker on the new live rock and we purchased the other one the same day) they are constantly cleaning the rocks.
  • 1 brittle starfish: (Creep came as a hitchhiker on some new live rock. He stays hidden most of the time, with only his legs hanging from the rock. I found creep while placing the live rock in our tank, needless to say as I laid my index finger on his leg, we both got a surprise. I did manage to keep hold of him and the rock.)

06-17-2018
KenyaandSherlocksm.gif

• Kenya tree: This has to be one of the easiest corals to care for. It has grown three times its original size. We placed it on the top rock with good water flow and lighting. I feed it coral frenzy with a dropper while the pumps and power heads are off.
06-27-2018
  • Zoanthid Coral
  • Red Chalice Coral Frag
  • Ultra Rock Flower Anemone
  • Acan Coral
  • Brain Coral
07-15-2018
I received a call at work. My daughter was in a frantic state. She said the Hawk fish and Condy was attacking the cleaner shrimp. The cleaner shrimp had molted and was in a fragile state. I was shocked that condy would bother the cleaner shrimp because they seemed to have a close bond. We moved the hawkfish and condy to the quarantine tank. Duke (Cleaner Shrimp) had an injury on his side and wasn't moving well that afternoon. I found him in the tank the next morning upside down.

08-01-2018
braincoralsm.gif

Brain coral that I received by mail order has something growing on the plug. Googling the possibilities while thinking I need to remove it and figure out a way to get it off the plug without harming the coral.

braincoral.jpg

Attachments

• parameters.pdf
    306 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOTE: 06-17-2018 Wish I had purchased a larger 120 to 150 gallon aquarium with a sump.
@Patricia Hefner it doesn't matter what size of tank you get, you will always want a larger one :) Too bad you're on the other side of the country--I selling my 125. I'm glad you found the best hobby on planet Earth. Happy reefing!

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having trouble taking pictures of the tank. They all turn out blue or dark. Needing to study the picture taking forums. Been spending most of my time reading about livestock and water parameters.
You can use an orange gel filter to cover your camera and they will turn out more natural looking. You can order them online or get them at a camera store. You can also adjust your white balance to help correct the blue tones.

OP
OP
Patricia Hefner

Patricia Hefner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use an orange gel filter to cover your camera and they will turn out more natural looking. You can order them online or get them at a camera store. You can also adjust your white balance to help correct the blue tones.

Thank you for the tip. I have several filters that came with my old Canon XTI. Time to dig it out along with my tripod and take a few pictures this weekend. I didn’t think about the filters. [emoji848][emoji846]

OP
OP
Patricia Hefner

Patricia Hefner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very detailed write up! Now it just needs more pictures! [emoji16]
The pictures are posted. It is easier taking photographs of children... LOL! But I tried.

I noticed the xenia have detached themselves from their rock and are stretched across a hole with their feet. Didn't think they could move like nems#?#?

Last edited:

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up! I enjoyed reading your write up about your tank! Very detailed, I love how you are honest about mistakes as well as when things go right! This hobby is great, but like anything there are ups and downs! Patience is key in this hobby that's for sure! Oh yeah, and I am with you....I wish I had a bigger tank too.... LOL! [emoji16]

OP
OP
Patricia Hefner

Patricia Hefner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up! I enjoyed reading your write up about your tank! Very detailed, I love how you are honest about mistakes as well as when things go right! This hobby is great, but like anything there are ups and downs! Patience is key in this hobby that's for sure! Oh yeah, and I am with you....I wish I had a bigger tank too.... LOL! [emoji16]

Thank you. When I began researching reef tanks. This is the type of information I was looking to find. I did find a lot of information but it was scattered.

I included the errors thinking maybe someone can learn from my mistakes. No one has offered advice, recommendations or suggestions in my beginners status. I was hoping to receive some corrective criticism. [emoji56]

I’m researching aquariums with a sump to upgrade eventually.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. When I began researching reef tanks. This is the type of information I was looking to find. I did find a lot of information but it was scattered.

I included the errors thinking maybe someone can learn from my mistakes. No one has offered advice, recommendations or suggestions in my beginners status. I was hoping to receive some corrective criticism. [emoji56]

I’m researching aquariums with a sump to upgrade eventually.
I totally agree with you! I looked for that info too. I can tell you that even after several years in this hobby I learn new things every day. I also still make mistakes and have to learn from them.... although not near as many or as bad as in the beginning! [emoji6]

RWS6605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your setup and detailed post. I am currently building a hex FOWLR setup and found this very helpful. Will be making my own build post sometime! I will be drilling my tank and starting it off with a sump though. Again - Great Post!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back