Problems with new Nero 5 pumps

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your pump or more accurately magnet may be defective. Maybe it was coated too think or some other error. OR they have already had more then one production run. I just tried my pump on 1/2" - only my front pane is 1/2 and it seemed to hold fine. I pulled on the cord and the pump without issue. My phone is only at 5% so I'll try again later and turn it on and take a quick video clip.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got and it’s installed!

The magnet is on the lighter side compared to my Jebao. I gave it a jerk on the cord and it did not fall off, only thing that happends it adjusts its flow direction.

When it’s running it’s pushing on the magnet so I don’t see it going anywhere.

It’s quite under 70% above that it has a hum to it. It’s powerful. My tank is 4’ and I had it on 80% it blew my large bubble coral across the tank. I sure hope it’s not damaged :( it looks rough atm.

It seems like a steady stream and I put it on random. From 40-60%

Pros:
Clean look
Low profile
Quite on 70% or lower
App and adjustments

Con:
Loud 71% or higher
Directional “ it’s not bad, just not like other pump”
Price

E231C575-2239-476F-97F0-DB8383626B0D.jpeg

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your pump or more accurately magnet may be defective. Maybe it was coated too think or some other error. OR they have already had more then one production run. I just tried my pump on 1/2" - only my front pane is 1/2 and it seemed to hold fine. I pulled on the cord and the pump without issue. My phone is only at 5% so I'll try again later and turn it on and take a quick video clip.

I have 2 pumps with weak magnets not one.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got and it’s installed!

The magnet is on the lighter side compared to my Jebao. I gave it a jerk on the cord and it did not fall off, only thing that happends it adjusts its flow direction.

When it’s running it’s pushing on the magnet so I don’t see it going anywhere.

It’s quite under 70% above that it has a hum to it. It’s powerful. My tank is 4’ and I had it on 80% it blew my large bubble coral across the tank. I sure hope it’s not damaged :( it looks rough atm.

It seems like a steady stream and I put it on random. From 40-60%

Pros:
Clean look
Low profile
Quite on 70% or lower
App and adjustments

Con:
Loud 71% or higher
Directional “ it’s not bad, just not like other pump”
Price

E231C575-2239-476F-97F0-DB8383626B0D.jpeg
I'm glad it sticks without falling off but since ur glass is just over 3/8" I didn't think you would have any problems.
My 2 pumps can go to 100% without any noise whatsoever though.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad it sticks without falling off but since ur glass is just over 3/8" I didn't think you would have any problems.
My 2 pumps can go to 100% without any noise whatsoever though.

Ya, playing with it more it's a little light. Its not like it GRABS it and SLAMS it on the other part like other pumps im use to do. But it's holding. It might of moved a little down. Maybe a snail bumped it?

I cant bring it to 100% again because it will blow my bubble coral away. Im interested in the hum noise on high. Ill put it in a bucket and try. I got it on ebay for $50 off. It was a sealed box but maybe problems ?

I think I want another one and get rid of the Jeabo pump I have. Its just hard to justify spending that much on a pump and im kinda worried about long term. Will it hold up like a EcoTech?

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, playing with it more it's a little light. Its not like it GRABS it and SLAMS it on the other part like other pumps im use to do. But it's holding. It might of moved a little down. Maybe a snail bumped it?

I cant bring it to 100% again because it will blow my bubble coral away. Im interested in the hum noise on high. Ill put it in a bucket and try. I got it on ebay for $50 off. It was a sealed box but maybe problems ?

I think I want another one and get rid of the Jeabo pump I have. Its just hard to justify spending that much on a pump and im kinda worried about long term. Will it hold up like a EcoTech?

You say u bought it on ebay for $50 off? that would make it $249? That sounds fishy because every place I looked when I bought mine the price was - and still is - $299. *You know the old saying "if it's too good to be true then it probably is"
If you still get the humming n0ise on high in the bucket I would recommend to return the pump and buy from a reputable dealer ( BRS, Marine Depot, Saltwater.com ) and pay the $299. IMO

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say u bought it on ebay for $50 off? that would make it $249? That sounds fishy because every place I looked when I bought mine the price was - and still is - $299. *You know the old saying "if it's too good to be true then it probably is"
If you still get the humming n0ise on high in the bucket I would recommend to return the pump and buy from a reputable dealer ( BRS, Marine Depot, Saltwater.com ) and pay the $299. IMO

With BRS you pay shipping and with eBay you don’t plus a discount. So I say it’s real.

Here is a clip of mine on full power. Your saying you don’t hear a thing with yours?

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who does it compare with the Jebao pump .
Flow, noise.
Which model Jebao do you have?

Waynefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got mine up and running. My aquarium is about 1/2" (12mm to be exact) starphire glass. The magnets are weak at this thickness. There is some movement when it ramps up on the pulse as shown in the earlier video. I find it strange that at this price point the magnet strength would be less than my Tunze and Jebao powerheads.

Though not ideal, I can live with the magnets. The profile is very slim, which was really important to me, and flow is nice and wide. The AI app is pretty good too. I'd give it a 7/10

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got mine up and running. My aquarium is about 1/2" (12mm to be exact) starphire glass. The magnets are weak at this thickness. There is some movement when it ramps up on the pulse as shown in the earlier video. I find it strange that at this price point the magnet strength would be less than my Tunze and Jebao powerheads.

Though not ideal, I can live with the magnets. The profile is very slim, which was really important to me, and flow is nice and wide. The AI app is pretty good too. I'd give it a 7/10

I agree. I just ordered another one. Did you watch my YouTube video above? Does yours make a hum noise when at full speed? Also what was your manufacturer date on the box if you don’t mind sharing?

Waynefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My manufacturing date was Oct 18, 2018. Just watched your video, your pump is quite louder than mine. Perhaps it needs some time to break in. On mine, I don't really hear anything until about 80%. It's just a hum at 80%. At 100% there is a louder hum, but nothing I would consider unexpected or too loud.

Perhaps it needs some cleaning as well. Check this video out:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Johnny M Can you clarify something? Are you saying The Wet Magnet Gets some of its Holding Power from the dry side? and the thicker the glass the weaker the transfer/performance?
I have been thinking about getting one of these. I do have the Wave Pump (first of this type) I do know that the wave pump HAD problems with a TOO strong of magnet on the wet side and it would lock the rotor.
If this is a balancing act with magnets Im not sure I would want one other than getting a larger size when they become available. I do like the flow pattern of this style over the others.

EDIT: Is the wet side a magnet at all? or a chunk of steel?

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My manufacturing date was Oct 18, 2018. Just watched your video, your pump is quite louder than mine. Perhaps it needs some time to break in. On mine, I don't really hear anything until about 80%. It's just a hum at 80%. At 100% there is a louder hum, but nothing I would consider unexpected or too loud.

Perhaps it needs some cleaning as well. Check this video out:

I did try this per manufacture request. They are exchanging mine out.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang just got stuck behind the pump... now his stomach is caved in.... I don’t know if that’s was like that before I don’t remember that yesterday.....

Is this a design flaw?! Did I just spend all this money to get my fish stuck?

Waynefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang just got stuck behind the pump... now his stomach is caved in.... I don’t know if that’s was like that before I don’t remember that yesterday.....

Is this a design flaw?! Did I just spend all this money to get my fish stuck?

I don't have any tangs, but I think this is just bad luck or a sick fish. My clowns, copperband and wrasse haven't had any issues.

Waynefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Johnny M Can you clarify something? Are you saying The Wet Magnet Gets some of its Holding Power from the dry side? and the thicker the glass the weaker the transfer/performance?
I have been thinking about getting one of these. I do have the Wave Pump (first of this type) I do know that the wave pump HAD problems with a TOO strong of magnet on the wet side and it would lock the rotor.
If this is a balancing act with magnets Im not sure I would want one other than getting a larger size when they become available. I do like the flow pattern of this style over the others.

I played around with the magnets during initial set up, I believe the wet side gets holding power from the dry side. Not sure if it's a chunk of steel. I will have to test it out later.

Your "balancing act" and rotor lock up theory seem pretty plausible to me.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any tangs, but I think this is just bad luck or a sick fish. My clowns, copperband and wrasse haven't had any issues.

You might be right. He only eats nori and maybe he’s not getting full... weird he got stuck tho!

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With BRS you pay shipping and with eBay you don’t plus a discount. So I say it’s real.
HMM...I buy a lot from BRS and as long as you spend over $29 the shipping is free, plus no tax. Also 365 day return policy - after 30 days, no refund but you get credit and have a year to spend it. I don't think ebay offers that. But if your happy with purchase more power to ya!
Here is a clip of mine on full power. Your saying you don’t hear a thing with yours?

At 100% both my nero's are not that loud as yours. I only get a very slight hum past 80%.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I played around with the magnets during initial set up, I believe the wet side gets holding power from the dry side. Not sure if it's a chunk of steel. I will have to test it out later.

Your "balancing act" and rotor lock up theory seem pretty plausible to me.

*The inner magnet gets it's holding power from the dry outer one. The inner 'wet' magnet is the weak one - you can slide it around a little against dry magnet. The weakest part is the wet part ( is a little concave side) that sticks to the pump. It is very weak, plus it means the magnet inside the pump that connects to the 'wet' one is also weak. That's why it barely stays attached if your glass is over 3/8".

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 6.3%
Back