Problems with new Nero 5 pumps

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand what ur saying, but if Tunze can develop various strength magnets for their products then AI should be able to also. *Unless Tunze has smarter engineers!
I'm sorry you are experiencing this. There is nothing worse than getting stuck with something you cant use. But I have to say the difference between these and a Tunze is the low profile and that the motor sits on the magnet / mount, where the tunze has a magnetic base and a stand-off motor mount....... I'm beginning to see why it has taken so long to bring a flush mount motor/Pump to market. Ecotech revolutionized the industry and others will try to catch up.
The second issue - is within 15 minutes of putting them on - my file fish got sucked into the back - not sure if it is a design flaw but after seeing the below post - definitely would be aware.
I would guess that we'll see more of this with open frame pumps. Surge or pulse mode sounds like a must in-order to give fish an opportunity for escape.
upload_2019-1-24_6-35-15.jpeg

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefdudes put up a video reviewing the pump - at the 5:25 you see the pump torquing every time it pulses, look at the cable and it's pretty clear. disclaimer though he has glass that is too thick for the magnet. but he has some interesting points about the pump overall.

Last edited:

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you are experiencing this. There is nothing worse than getting stuck with something you cant use. But I have to say the difference between these and a Tunze is the low profile and that the motor sits on the magnet / mount, where the tunze has a magnetic base and a stand-off motor mount....... I'm beginning to see why it has taken so long to bring a flush mount motor/Pump to market. Ecotech revolutionized the industry and others will try to catch up.
I would guess that we'll see more of this with open frame pumps. Surge or pulse mode sounds like a must in-order to give fish an opportunity for escape.
upload_2019-1-24_6-35-15.jpeg
My bigger issue is the bearing noises. I have taken it apart 3 times to no avail. It should not have any issues out of the box. You dont know it's an issue till it hits water and once it hits water you have no recourse. The unit continues to drop the connection from the controller. I came home tonight to both pumps off. One got to connect one even after hard reset wont connect.

Very disappointing for $600 in pumps.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bigger issue is the bearing noises. I have taken it apart 3 times to no avail. It should not have any issues out of the box. You dont know it's an issue till it hits water and once it hits water you have no recourse. The unit continues to drop the connection from the controller. I came home tonight to both pumps off. One got to connect one even after hard reset wont connect.

Very disappointing for $600 in pumps.

Contact the company. They will swap it out for $1

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefdudes put up a video reviewing the pump - at the 5:25 you see the pump torquing every time it pulses, look at the cable and it's pretty clear. disclaimer though he has glass that is too thick for the magnet. but he has some interesting points about the pump overall.

I know I watched it and then left a comment on him saying that he had no problem with 13mm glass and even stayed on 3/4" glass. I politely told him that is BS, and referred him to my video & this thread. He instead removed my comment from his yt page which means he must have gotten the nero 5 free from AI to give a positive review and obviously doesn't want to offend them by showing negative comments about the pump.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I watched it and then left a comment on him saying that he had no problem with 13mm glass and even stayed on 3/4" glass. I politely told him that is crap, and referred him to my video & this thread. He instead removed my comment from his yt page which means he must have gotten the nero 5 free from AI to give a positive review and obviously doesn't want to offend them by showing negative comments about the pump.

That’s awful. Thanks for bringing this issue to light. Not for burying it...

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know I watched it and then left a comment on him saying that he had no problem with 13mm glass and even stayed on 3/4" glass. I politely told him that is crap, and referred him to my video & this thread. He instead removed my comment from his yt page which means he must have gotten the nero 5 free from AI to give a positive review and obviously doesn't want to offend them by showing negative comments about the pump.
Pretty much how all those cheerleaders are for the companies. I like how in the video if he would have showed it longer that pump probably walked itself off the glass when it was rocking back in forth in pulse mode. Reef Builders is the same way. He is such a huge cheerleader for anything from ecotech and AI since he gets everything free form them.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much how all those cheerleaders are for the companies. I like how in the video if he would have showed it longer that pump probably walked itself off the glass when it was rocking back in forth in pulse mode. Reef Builders is the same way. He is such a huge cheerleader for anything from ecotech and AI since he gets everything free form them.

Yay he’s a bit of shill now. Prefer people who don’t really care about sponsors like A2 AKA Aaron’s Aquatics or Fish Of Hex (who has in the past said stuff he has purchased are Pieces of ****)

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://reefbuilders.com/2017/12/13/waveline-should-be-embarassed-by-the-wavepuck-pump/

I try to believe reefbuilders is more honest, but given the waveline pump review he did, which is almost identical to the AI Nero 5, it’s hard not to think that there is a bias. FWIW, the waveline pump has/had ( i say had bc i can’t find anywhere to purchase them...maybe legal issues between them and AI?) the same problems with the magnet set up.

As for reefdudes, he unfortunately is biased, but I think he tries to keep an honest review. Reading all the comments on his vid/videos, he tries to not bite the hand that feeds him. But he does have several comments on the video pointing out the weak magnet issue.

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay he’s a bit of shill now. Prefer people who don’t really care about sponsors like A2 AKA Aaron’s Aquatics or Fish Of Hex (who has in the past said stuff he has purchased are Pieces of ****)

Hey man, thanks for the kind words. As a YTer in this hobby, it's so easy to get sponsors and free **** if you say nice things about those companies, that it's easy to loose sight on maybe why you started the channel. To this date, I've only been sponsored once and made it very clear in the video (Aqua SD -- when I first started keeping acros).

As a side note, FishOfHex is my favorite channel. His vidoes are what I like; no BS, tell it like it is.

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Aqua illumination support has not been much help with me they keep sending me a video of how to take apart a brand new pump to fix it why we would have to fix a brand new pump in the first place is besides me. Anybody that's looking to buy these pumps run

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Aqua illumination support has not been much help with me they keep sending me a video of how to take apart a brand new pump to fix it why we would have to fix a brand new pump in the first place is besides me. Anybody that's looking to buy these pumps run

AI, EcoTech, and Neptune have all gone downhill recently with their service and build quality. I might as well look at chinese knockoffs given the money they charge. Still love Current USA, AquaMaxx, Tunze, & Kessil though. I wish Hagen would step it up more with Fluval Sea because their stuff has been pretty solid - especially the SP return pumps. Would be nice if Tunze updated their wavemakers to a sleeker and more compact generation :).

The IceCap Gyre continues to be a bargain relative to what they produce and against comparative solutions.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too late for a refund. Just hope the fix is soon, like a stronger magnet that attaches to pump on inside. *Meanwhile I have 2 brand new unused Maxspecht xf230 gyre pumps with controller sitting in their original boxes collecting dust. Unfortunately I bought the Nero 5 pumps on a whim thinking they have a smaller imprint in my 66g reef & tried them first. The irony is 2 xf230’s w/controller =$430 ; 2 Nero 5 pumps = $598!!???
Potentially not too late if you paid via credit card, they are actually one of the few business entities on side of the customer because it's their money ultimately on the line. I've had a few instances that a vendor / manufacturer wouldn't address something I considered defective post-sale return window, but suddenly when MasterCard staff get involved they're more than happy to fully refund the purchase with a product return.

For the other topic going on in this thread; social media for every hobby has largely devolved into most of the "popular" figures being product hucksters. To what degree they are typically depends on the exposure level they've obtained, but it's quite universal. We have quite a few in this hobby and it's pretty easy to spot if you've been in for a period of time, but the newer hobbyist tend to be too trusting and end up buying over priced junk because XYZ, who got it for free, is using it for three months before the next thing comes along on their channel to replace it.

Hopefully you guys having these issues can find some way to get things made right.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Neptune does the same. give free items and they instantly have a horde of fan bois. all biased and no credibility. neptune even goes as far as have threads on msg boards with negative comments removed. They pay so much for ads, msg boards comply. I wouldn't be surprised if this msg or thread gets removed.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh.... I emailed them to make a shield .

7E60CB70-B6DB-4BF6-8A6C-CAADF0D0ACB3.jpeg

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since my first post and video I have run these in the tank for about a week and a half or so and they are quiet and powerful but they do move, the reefdudes video I watched and what not and quite frankly I hate these magnet issues but other than that I do like the powerhead.. my magnet is a little stronger now that it’s in water but it still shifts whenever I have it on pulse or random, it hasn’t walked all over the class but I see it jerk a little. If I move the cord too terribly much it would fall off though still. Honestly I feel like one of them is made better than the other but that could just be mine. I plan on using the tie wraps they give you and probably others attached to my lid whenever it comes in just to make sure. Overall I am hoping to see a change be made to magnets but other than that I’m pretty pleased.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potentially not too late if you paid via credit card, they are actually one of the few business entities on side of the customer because it's their money ultimately on the line. I've had a few instances that a vendor / manufacturer wouldn't address something I considered defective post-sale return window, but suddenly when MasterCard staff get involved they're more than happy to fully refund the purchase with a product return.

For the other topic going on in this thread; social media for every hobby has largely devolved into most of the "popular" figures being product hucksters. To what degree they are typically depends on the exposure level they've obtained, but it's quite universal. We have quite a few in this hobby and it's pretty easy to spot if you've been in for a period of time, but the newer hobbyist tend to be too trusting and end up buying over priced junk because XYZ, who got it for free, is using it for three months before the next thing comes along on their channel to replace it.

Hopefully you guys having these issues can find some way to get things made right.

*Obviously since I haven't heard back from AI support the "engineering team" must still be baffled on how to make the magnets stronger. Even though there are a lot of people saying they are going to buy a different pump instead of nero 5, I guess sales haven't declined yet. Hopefully that will happen soon and they they WILL have to solve the problem. AS i mentioned in earlier post the nero 5's do have a good flow & nice spread for such a small pump and does leave a much smaller footprint than the grye pumps - and are easier to clean - but those freakin weak magnets!!?? :mad:

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, thanks for the kind words. As a YTer in this hobby, it's so easy to get sponsors and free **** if you say nice things about those companies, that it's easy to loose sight on maybe why you started the channel. To this date, I've only been sponsored once and made it very clear in the video (Aqua SD -- when I first started keeping acros).

As a side note, FishOfHex is my favorite channel. His vidoes are what I like; no crap, tell it like it is.

Yes totally agree. I think BRS does a pretty honest job in evaluating products in their BRSTV series.

Back