Problems with new Nero 5 pumps

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting as the prices in the UK have just been reduced from £299 to £249..... this is with virtually all the major retailers, I must have had 6 fb alerts from shops about the price drop.... makes you wonder why there reducing the price so quickly on a brand new product

Two possibilities are they have too much inventory or they did some market research with focus groups and feel it was overpriced and wanted to see what the reaction would be at a lower price?

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting as the prices in the UK have just been reduced from £299 to £249..... this is with virtually all the major retailers, I must have had 6 fb alerts from shops about the price drop.... makes you wonder why there reducing the price so quickly on a brand new product

I agree. This seems like a super shady way of dumping bad product on customers. And of course with the bad customer service some folks have been receiving, it will probably be very difficult if not impossible to get a return/exchange. Wonder how many of the major retailers like BRS feel about pushing a product that is facing tons of negative user experience...

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I messaged AI and they sent me this.
IMG_4488.JPG

No response.
They are giving you the run around just like me since mid December. All I keep getting is "thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our engineering team is investigating the supposed problem and get back to you when we have a solution " That's all they keep saying, to everyone who sends in complaints about magnet problem. Since the pumps appear to be selling I don't think they will do anything about it. Buy at your own risk. I recently purchased on pre-order Maxspecht xf330 gyre. This new model is much quieter than 1st 2 generations, easier to clean and bushings, etc.. last longer b4 needing to be replaced.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think bc of magnet problem their sales are declining. Plus new Maxspecht 300 series gyros are much improved coming in at same price as nero 5 so AI had to do something to increase sales. Also with xf330 & 350 much more options for flow patterns with the advanced controller than what the nero 5 app offers.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been almost 3 months since I contacted CS with no more responses except saying "engineering team is working on it". Yeah right. They did a fix alright - instead of making the magnets stronger for 1/2" glass they did the easy way and lowered the price $50. I guess sales were starting to decline???!! There will be a lot more 'unsatisfied customers' now that it's selling cheaper. If ur glass goes up to 3/8" thickness then you'll have no problems, but thicker than that WATCH OUT!!

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With them being owned by ecotech and the way they seem to run things I wouldnt be surprised if this is just to empty current stock. They will release a new one with a new magnet for probably $325 and then any of the current owners would probably have to pay $50 for a new stronger magnet if they wanted it because they are a greedy little company

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just about to check out on BRS with a nero 5. I need some supplemental flow and one of these would do the trick however i have 1/2 low iron glass. I chatted with BRS and at first they gave me a vague answer, "1/2 glass is pretty thick for magnets". So i asked if they were confirming people are having issues with the nero 5 on 1/2 glass, and they replied back "Yes people are having issues with 1/2 glass". My Gyre magnets will break the glass if i left go to fast same with my hammer head algae cleaner. It's unfortunate because i like the low profile design, but i cleared my cart and will hold off, even at the $50 discount.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up picking up a open item Reefoctopus pulse 2 for $180 from a vendor. Not the Nero but it will do do what I need, plus the pulse has a 0-10v for Apex.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nero 5 pump pulled my tang into it. The back whole are just to big IMO..... I was home and shut pump off, tang swam away.

I keep getting snails stuck inside. Shuts pump off.. I think overtime it will break pump. They need smaller wholes or a sponge..

Now my clown fish got stuck, his eyes where almost sucked out. He kinda swam after i shut off but he died a few hours after.

Wish I could return pumps.

image1.jpeg

IMG_5230.jpg

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nero 5 pump pulled my tang into it. The back whole are just to big IMO..... I was home and shut pump off, tang swam away.

I keep getting snails stuck inside. Shuts pump off.. I think overtime it will break pump. They need smaller wholes or a sponge..

Now my clown fish got stuck, his eyes where almost sucked out. He kinda swam after i shut off but he died a few hours after.

Wish I could return pumps.

image1.jpeg

IMG_5230.jpg

That is awful, sorry for your loss. Has anyone come out with a DIY cover that has smaller holes for the back?

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any of my snails get stuck on mine and they often are near it or on it. Weird.
It happens all the time. Now what I do if it happens I put that snail in the sump and let it grow.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awful, sorry for your loss. Has anyone come out with a DIY cover that has smaller holes for the back?
It’s too new I would think. I don’t see any on the market as of now .

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s too new I would think. I don’t see any on the market as of now .

Hopefully the people at Ai that developed the Nero 5 read this forum and take notice of the complaints. :rolleyes:

Do they have a representative that actively reads comments posted in their R2R Sponsor forum?
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/aqua-illumination.824/

If yes, perhaps we should be posting these issues over there instead of this General Equipment forum where they can get lost in the many threads started?

Last edited:

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the people at Ai that developed the Nero 5 read this forum and take notice to the complaints. :rolleyes:
Thanks. I emailed them mutiple Times. I did ask to help replace my fish but no go...

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really be upset if there was an issue with their design that killed my fish, did you try escalating this complaint to a supervisor?
They said they are sending to ownership. I’m assuming that’s owners. But nothing has happened.

Thanks for the concern

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back