Problems with new Nero 5 pumps

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said they are sending to ownership. I’m assuming that’s owners. But nothing has happened.

Thanks for the concern

Good luck, that picture of your clown was upsetting to view and I really hope that they accept responsibility for this happening! The rear is too open!!!

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, that picture of your clown was upsetting to view and I really hope that they accept responsibility for this happening! The rear is too open!!!

Ya it was upsetting. The holes are just too big. If it was smaller the fish would of not got suck in so much and prob could of kicked off of it if the holes were smaller. Also snails would not get stuck.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it was upsetting. The holes are just too big. If it was smaller the fish would of not got suck in so much and prob could of kicked off of it if the holes were smaller. Also snails would not get stuck.
I am not that inventive but if someone came up with a DIY rear cover shield for the Nero 5 I would definitely be interested in getting it!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted One. Octo-pump is still the best bang $ going

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I emailed them mutiple Times. I did ask to help replace my fish but no go...
This thread I started in Dec. '18 and all emails I sent to CS
Thanks. I emailed them mutiple Times. I did ask to help replace my fish but no go...

I don't think they will do anything as of now about magnet problems or fish/snails getting caught bc @ $50 off regular price looks like people are still buying them. Plus I started this thread in Dec. '18 ( CS rep is named Cade ) and all I keep getting back is "Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. All info & videos will be forwarded to our 'engineering team' to see if there is any solution". That's all they keep telling everyone who complains since December. **Good luck trying to speak to a supervisor! They will just refer u to "our engineering team is looking at the problem"!

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just about to check out on BRS with a nero 5. I need some supplemental flow and one of these would do the trick however i have 1/2 low iron glass. I chatted with BRS and at first they gave me a vague answer, "1/2 glass is pretty thick for magnets". So i asked if they were confirming people are having issues with the nero 5 on 1/2 glass, and they replied back "Yes people are having issues with 1/2 glass". My Gyre magnets will break the glass if i left go to fast same with my hammer head algae cleaner. It's unfortunate because i like the low profile design, but i cleared my cart and will hold off, even at the $50 discount.
So BRS admits to the problem with magnets on 1/2" glass & they just did a second video on the nero 5 a couple of weeks ago giving high praises. *SHAME ON YOU BRS FOR NOT MENTIONING THIS PROBLEM IN THE VIDEO KNOWING FULL WELL THAT MANY ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THIS ISSUE!! What happened to "reef fantasy to reef certainty" ??!!

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So BRS admits to the problem with magnets on 1/2" glass & they just did a second video on the nero 5 a couple of weeks ago giving high praises. *SHAME ON YOU BRS FOR NOT MENTIONING THIS PROBLEM IN THE VIDEO KNOWING FULL WELL THAT MANY ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THIS ISSUE!! What happened to "reef fantasy to reef certainty" ??!!
On the plus side I love my new pluse 2. So much infact I ordered a second one and a VDM module for my Apex. I will have them set up on a custom schedule. Best change of plans ever.

AquaHobby31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened? Did they solve your issue? I’m looking at their pump mainly for controllability

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have not responded to me or address my issues . I left negative feedback on there products

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there are compatible magnets you can buy?

The jebao magnets don't quite work because something is off with the polarity.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a big fan of the Nero 5 since my tank was delivered in February and have always written positive posts. However all bets are off as tonight when we returned home my wife and I were looking allover for my beautiful Canary Blenny and discovered it got sucked into the rear of the pump! He was healthy, eating like a king and swimming allover the tank when I left earlier today. I will be emailing Ai in the morning but based on posts by others with the same experience I do not expect an satisfactory response. :mad:

IMG_0465.jpeg

IMG_0631.jpeg

IMG_0633.jpeg

IMG_0635-1.jpeg

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I do not have any issues with mine. I do not see why a Soft foam cannot be placed around the back of the power head. Like ones on the Mp series power heads.

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the foam impede the flow of the pump?

I believe it would But it would also stop folks fish from getting caught in the power head. I was spit balling Ideas on how to cover it up. I personally would not use it. My Nero only likes Ultra rainbow bubble tips. Not fish

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m usually the first to give a manufacturer a hard time of poorly designed products, but has anyone actually seen there fish swimming alive near the pump and being sucked into the back of one of these? As over the years nearly every fish I’ve sadly lost has ended up stuck to my powerheads, but I’ve never seen a fully healthy fish get sucked into one, I’ve seen ailing fish get sucked onto them though.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m usually the first to give a manufacturer a hard time of poorly designed products, but has anyone actually seen there fish swimming alive near the pump and being sucked into the back of one of these? As over the years nearly every fish I’ve sadly lost has ended up stuck to my powerheads, but I’ve never seen a fully healthy fish get sucked into one, I’ve seen ailing fish get sucked onto them though.

My blenny was a recent addition to the tank and came from ORA Farms, it was perfectly healthy, had a great appetite and was an active swimmer exploring every corner of the tank. There weren't any issues with the other fish and when I left my condo yesterday it was swimming allover the tank which was it's usual MO. The blenny was smaller than the holes in the rear of the Nero 5 and I have no doubt that it ventured too close and got sucked into the pump. :mad:

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Clowns and Anthias swim by it all the time without issues. My fish are Small and they do get blown half way across the tank when it ramps up I have it on Random 40-75% I personally love the little power head do to it's small foot print.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Clowns and Anthias swim by it all the time without issues. My fish are Small and they do get blown half way across the tank when it ramps up I have it on Random 40-75% I personally love the little power head do to it's small foot print.

The issue isn't the front of the pump, I have mine set at 25%-50% low variance and my clowns get blown across the tank also and it is fun to watch. :)
The problem lies in the back and the size of the openings there where a small fish can get sucked in! My blenny loved to swim along the glass and I have no doubt that is what happened. :(

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back