Problems with new Nero 5 pumps

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not experienced this issue and I have some of the first versions that came out. My 120 Display is 1/2" thick glass and mine runs with no issues of falling off:
High variance with Random from 50% - 75%.

I have noticed that you have to make sure that the AI logo on the exterior magnet has to be in the proper location. If it is upside down, it seems to not stay magnetized to the in tank magnet.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not experienced this issue and I have some of the first versions that came out. My 120 Display is 1/2" thick glass and mine runs with no issues of falling off:
High variance with Random from 50% - 75%.

I have noticed that you have to make sure that the AI logo on the exterior magnet has to be in the proper location. If it is upside down, it seems to not stay magnetized to the in tank magnet.
Been there, done that. I too have the first versions but still have hard time with magnets working on 1/2" glass.

RhinoChaser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve experienced the same issue with fish getting sucked in. My pump is set to pulse at 2 seconds on 80%. I’ve had two perfectly healthy yellow tangs get stuck to the backside of it and killed and last night watched my mandarin gobie get sucked through, another casualty. I’m ditching the pump and going back to my gyre until I can find a better option.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve experienced the same issue with fish getting sucked in. My pump is set to pulse at 2 seconds on 80%. I’ve had two perfectly healthy yellow tangs get stuck to the backside of it and killed and last night watched my mandarin gobie get sucked through, another casualty. I’m ditching the pump and going back to my gyre until I can find a better option.

We shouldn't have to buy a new pump, they should be fixing the problem! The sad part is that Ai is in total denial and will not admit that there is even a design flaw. :mad:

Someone should point out to them of one of the most famous cases that is taught in business schools of a company that stepped up to the plate and fixed a design flaw at considerable expense to themselves as they were more interested in protecting their reputation and providing a quality product to their customers than saving some money by not addressing the problem.

Perhaps some of us remember the famous “bic pen incident” with Kryptonite bicycle locks that occurred in 2004 when a cyclist learned he could open his tubular cylinder lock using the tip of a round bic pen instead of a key and posted this to a bike forum. Bloggers spread the word and articles appeared everywhere including the NY Times. A little over a week later Kryptonite announced a full, free Lock Exchange Program and began taking registrations that day. They began the exchanges a few weeks later after their factory started producing the new locking mechanism. I remember this clearly as I was one of those people that owned the lock with the circular cylinder and was living in NYC at the time. There was no way I was going to take a chance of using it and leaving my bike on the streets.

Ai should wakeup and smell the roses as they have more to gain in sales and they would also enhance their reputation if they acknowledge there is a problem and offer free replacements for the backside of the Nero 5 pump. I asked for a fix to this design flaw and not for them to pay for my dead fish and their response to me was, "We, unfortunately, can't offer any type of compensation for your loss." Their response shows how out of touch they are with the issue and their customers!

Last edited:

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to work on an STL for a guard for these pumps as I just bought two. The only issue is that since it's able to angle 15 degrees there will always be a potential gap around the back of the guard.

Perhaps a flat one and one that works around the angled pump.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to work on an STL for a guard for these pumps as I just bought two. The only issue is that since it's able to angle 15 degrees there will always be a potential gap around the back of the guard.

Perhaps a flat one and one that works around the angled pump.

Please keep us updated!

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have their own controller that is not wifi. Or you can connect them to Apex then they are wifi controlled. I'm very happy with these pumps, best decision I made.
What size/shape of tank are you running the Octo Pulse 2s on? I'm considering for a peninsula tank that is 4 feet long.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard anything about a stronger magnet. I dont have 1/2" glass and it barely stays on. It hasn't fallen but if something bumps it its definitely not staying up. Atleast they sent cable ties to secure the wire so it wont fall Into the sand.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I read this whole thread...wow a $300 lil pump that has weak magnets and a flawed design. I read besides its looks, it has ordinary performance. How can its manufacturers think people wouldnt complain?

Aneasytarget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I got one coming and another one im trying to order. I hope these are not duds. Thats the issue with buying a new product, no one knows all the flaws until the 2nd second model.
They are duds mate but if you think the magnet’s a problem wait until you get a “loud” Nero 5. Mine is very noisy, can’t run it above 50%. Dud customer support too.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if someone can make a 3D back cover for the Nero 5, I would definitely buy it!
Melevsreef has a 3d printed back cover that looks like it will do the job. He is taking pre-orders, $20ea.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah he is selling them for me (they are the ones I designed). We already have 50+ sold and several confirmed saves, including at least one nem :)
Great thanks much for info will be buying 3. *also a big thanks to u for designing the covers since AI doesn't give a dang about these problems!

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. because some jerk decided to steal the STL and sell the print despite me specifically putting it out for free for NON-COMMERCIAL use. I will still send anyone that needs the STL the file.

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blenny was a recent addition to the tank and came from ORA Farms, it was perfectly healthy, had a great appetite and was an active swimmer exploring every corner of the tank. There weren't any issues with the other fish and when I left my condo yesterday it was swimming allover the tank which was it's usual MO. The blenny was smaller than the holes in the rear of the Nero 5 and I have no doubt that it ventured too close and got sucked into the pump. :mad:

TBH in that first pic you posted of the blenny it looks very skinny which would lend to how it could've gotten stuck in the powerhead also, blennies are notorious for hanging out on pumps and if the pump has a pulse mode on top of the fish being skinny/weak I could see it being a recipe for disaster if it perched near it momentarily.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to say that after 4 months of use the only issue I have had is a firefish getting sucked in. i have a reefer 250 and two neros. granted one pump maxes out at 12% and the other at 33% so I do not have them cranked but even when bumped by my flipper when I clean they stay stuck. I wish they had a little more angle though, 15 degrees is not much. I keep them low because I run a mixed reef with SPS on top and a lot of LPS on the bottom. Between those two and the VCA RFG I have all kinds of crazy random flow

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back