Problems with new Nero 5 pumps

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to say that after 4 months of use the only issue I have had is a firefish getting sucked in. i have a reefer 250 and two neros. granted one pump maxes out at 12% and the other at 33% so I do not have them cranked but even when bumped by my flipper when I clean they stay stuck. I wish they had a little more angle though, 15 degrees is not much. I keep them low because I run a mixed reef with SPS on top and a lot of LPS on the bottom. Between those two and the VCA RFG I have all kinds of crazy random flow

Yea, I agree on the directional. It really limits placement. If it was double what it has it would be much better for me. Other than that, mine stays on the magnet now (just don’t even look at it!) and I love the flow and app. I just put in a gyre for more coverage and the Nero for specific dead areas.

Aneasytarget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u can please send the video to AI customer support. The more complaints & proof - videos - the sooner they will correct it.
Customer support is useless. I’ll never buy from this company again. My pump falls off at any angle above 5 degrees and is very noisy. They refuse to help, palm me off to distributor.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH in that first pic you posted of the blenny it looks very skinny which would lend to how it could've gotten stuck in the powerhead also, blennies are notorious for hanging out on pumps and if the pump has a pulse mode on top of the fish being skinny/weak I could see it being a recipe for disaster if it perched near it momentarily.

The blend was young but definitely not weak.

Aneasytarget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny that you commented on this thread today. I saw distributor at an aquarium expo on weekend, told them about my issue with AI customer support and they told me to contact the store I purchased from (facepalm).
AI >Distributor>Retailer
I’m guessing retailer will tell me to speak to AI. Full circle.

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 2 of these with their new magnets on my 1/2" glass and have no issues whatsoever. Holds perfectly, super quiet, and easy to program. I have 3 MP40wqd's on my main display but wanted to try something different due to cost, pain in the butt to program (reeflink sucks), and it can get loud every now and then.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny that you commented on this thread today. I saw distributor at an aquarium expo on weekend, told them about my issue with AI customer support and they told me to contact the store I purchased from (facepalm).
AI >Distributor>Retailer
I’m guessing retailer will tell me to speak to AI. Full circle.

The distributor was telling you a fairy tale as Ai will not do anything about the Nero 5 issue. :(

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 2 of these with their new magnets on my 1/2" glass and have no issues whatsoever. Holds perfectly, super quiet, and easy to program. I have 3 MP40wqd's on my main display but wanted to try something different due to cost, pain in the butt to program (reeflink sucks), and it can get loud every now and then.
When did they come out with new magnets? I wonder if they are supplying them voluntarily to people that ask

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did they come out with new magnets? I wonder if they are supplying them voluntarily to people that ask
I'm not sure either - I was in the market to get some new pumps for my frag tank and a friend suggested the Nero 5. When I told him they have bad reviews on 1/2" glass, he said they upgraded the magnets. So I pulled it up and now AI is saying up to 16mm glass (.63 in).

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up two and love them. No issues. on a 75 magnets hold great.

Aneasytarget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a awesome for you. I must’ve got a dud :(
You don’t know how good or bad customer support is until you have a problem.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were all in Rectangle boxes too.
These were mine I got in last week. I asked saltwateraquarium.com before ordering.

DB07B16F-62FD-40A7-94E1-9A1063F2B0D4.jpeg

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'll be! Just went to AI site to look up Nero 5 and NOW thickness of glass is 0.63" (16mm)!
Looks like they upgraded the magnets because the ones I bought last year where rated for glass thickness of 12mm which is just under 1/2" ( 0.47"). Looks like they told no one. My box was rectangle now they're more square like. Great for new purchasers but what about me & others that have the old weaker magnets? Are we going to be able to get stronger magnets or just get sc__wed.

Aneasytarget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be giving us the new magnets but they won’t. Sc__wed indeed.

Well I'll be! Just went to AI site to look up Nero 5 and NOW thickness of glass is 0.63" (16mm)!
Looks like they upgraded the magnets because the ones I bought last year where rated for glass thickness of 12mm which is just under 1/2" ( 0.47"). Looks like they told no one. My box was rectangle now they're more square like. Great for new purchasers but what about me & others that have the old weaker magnets? Are we going to be able to get stronger magnets or just get sc__wed.
giving us the new magnets

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back