Problems with new Nero 5 pumps

Nano1908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Neo Jeo
Nope, you're not the only one. Lost him a couple days later.
Removed the Nero5. Using in the sump now.

20191225_141152.jpg

Last edited:

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The one guy on eBay ripped off my design even used my photos.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Neo Jeo
Nope, you're not the only one. Lost him a couple days later.
Removed the Nero5. Using in the sump now.

20191225_141152.jpg

The bottom line is that the rear of the Nero 5 is poorly designed and by now they know it. They refuse to address this issue properly and I seriously doubt I would ever purchase from Ai again. :mad:

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom line is that the rear of the Nero 5 is poorly designed and by now they know it. They refuse to address this issue properly and I seriously doubt I would ever purchase from Ai again. :mad:
I agree , I got my shields off of Melev’s reef

Paul R Barnhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, when I ordered my guard he shipped it immediately.
I was wondering if you are still having any concerns or issues after installing the guard? I am considering buying two of these but this problem has to be addressed (even by 3rd party if it must be) before I will buy

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know one guy still lost a small fish with the guard, but that's about it.

Melevsreef and Reefsupplies.ca have sold probably close to six or seven hundred now, plus all those that printed their own, and that's the only negative feedback I've received.

Paul R Barnhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know one guy still lost a small fish with the guard, but that's about it.

Melevsreef and Reefsupplies.ca have sold probably close to six or seven hundred now, plus all those that printed their own, and that's the only negative feedback I've received.
Well then, I think I will be buying a couple and some guards from Melevsreef! Hey, thanks for building these things. What is amazing about this hobby is how people like you take your personal time to help us out! I truly hope you were able to pull some kind of profit off of these even though some low life stole your design!

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I originally designed and released it for free, and the design is still free for personal use if you have a printer.

I do make a few bucks on each that are sold at retail which I started doing when other people starred selling my design. I just used that money to buy Corals and more printers lol.

Paul R Barnhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I originally designed and released it for free, and the design is still free for personal use if you have a printer.

I do make a few bucks on each that are sold at retail which I started doing when other people starred selling my design. I just used that money to buy Corals and more printers lol.
I just read through this entire thread and I saw where you have the design available for anyone. I do have access to a printer at work but.......for me to use it would be like trying to speak German......it just isn't going to happen. I will spend $40 and be done with it and support people like you doing this for us. It isn't much but maybe you could buy 1/5th a coral with my purchase.....hope she is beauty :)

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with the extra $20 for the guards, these are fantastic wavemakers for the price. I have one of the Melev Reefs guards on mine and the holes are small enough to keep even my neon goby out.

Paul R Barnhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with the extra $20 for the guards, these are fantastic wavemakers for the price. I have one of the Melev Reefs guards on mine and the holes are small enough to keep even my neon goby out.
That is great to hear. They do seem like really amazing pumps and now that they are on sale for $200 on BRS, they are hard to pass up. It does appear that the magnet problems have been solved (be it at the expense to those of who that acted, unknowingly, as the beta testers....not good AI) and if 3rd party 3D printed guards are available....they are significantly cheaper than Mp40s and have flow characteristics for a nano with room to install on a larger tank. People either love them or hate them; but they do offer pretty unique flexibility and design.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if you are still having any concerns or issues after installing the guard? I am considering buying two of these but this problem has to be addressed (even by 3rd party if it must be) before I will buy

The opening for the power cable is a little too large and small snails can enter. I stuffed the opening with a little bit of filter floss to plug it.

I also increased the flow to compensate for the guard and always make sure to keep the guard firmly pressed against the glass.

Last edited:

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that was a design decision to prevent damage to the cable. Also fileting the inner edge of the gap to prevent sharp edges from touching the cable, it's really thin.

Paul R Barnhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that was a design decision to prevent damage to the cable. Also fileting the inner edge of the gap to prevent sharp edges from touching the cable, it's really thin.
Thanks guys. I made the purchase of the neros and the guards! I really think they are going to help me. I do have some snails breeding the tank and lots of little buggers all over, so thanks for the tip on the cord opening! You guys have been great. Thanks again! I will post back to this post about the box shape (since that seems to be a factor considering a possible change by AI to the magnet strength) and I will give my honest opinion about whether the magnet stays in place.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received response from AI asking for video of weak magnet side holding pump. (*I have 2 of these pumps with same problem). 1st vid shows by just touching or trying to adjust angle pumps easily falls off. 2nd vid is pump on pulse mode - 35% - each time it revs up it moves a little back & forth. Remember AI says Nero's are good for up to 1/2" ( 12.7mm). My glass is 12mm - 0.47" so technically I shouldn't be having any problems. *No algae on glass, I clean every other day.

Did they fix the Magnets?

I heard the new ones are shipping with fish guards.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread. I'm not going to bag on the vendor but what I'm scratching my head over is why they didn't test various glass and acrylic thickness. Not like this is super expensive to set up. Visit local glass and plastic shop, order a pane of glass, mount on some 2 x 4's to hold steady, attach various models and proceed to test. Problem solved.

Looks like they may have a Mars probe issue on their hands. Something so simple has a math conversion or cheap purchase (i.e. not thinking of it) could have prevented a re-design or disaster.
My thoughts exactly. It seems like the pump pressure would keep the pump magnet stuck to the magnet pad. I do see where it would be super annoying if you turned the pumps off and they fall to the bottom.

Does anybody know if they’ve addressed this issue? I know the new pumps are being shipped with fish guards.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back