OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an update from AI this past Friday ( reps name is Cade ). He said " since we haven't heard from you we will consider this issue closed in next 24 hours".
I replied, No way is this over. you were suppose to get back to me after you sent my videos I had sent you to your 'engineering team' to "get their perspective". I expect an answer from you/engineering team for a resolution of this issue!
I don't know what's going on but this is BS if they not going to address this. I will try calling them on Monday to find out what's going on.
**please everyone who has a problem with the Nero 5 pump and magnets issue go to AI website and open a "request ticket" and fill it out with problem and then send (**please include video of your pump having problems staying attached to 'wet' magnet). Unless we all do this they're just going to say - "we haven't had many complaints about the 'weak' magnet issue" Thanks

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My manufacturing date was Oct 18, 2018. Just watched your video, your pump is quite louder than mine. Perhaps it needs some time to break in. On mine, I don't really hear anything until about 80%. It's just a hum at 80%. At 100% there is a louder hum, but nothing I would consider unexpected or too loud.

Perhaps it needs some cleaning as well. Check this video out:

My manufacturing date was Sept. 26, 2018 for my 2 pumps.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those videos tell the whole story. I hope you get a refund, and switch brands. Best wishes, and thanks for bringing the problem to light! :oops:
Thanks. They probably won't give me a refund but might send me 2 new pumps. The irony about this is for such a small pump they really push out a wide spread of water. If I get stuck with these 2 i have or they send me new ones that have the same weak magnet problem I'm just going to super glue the pump to the inner 'wet' magnet. The angle of movement is suppose to be only 15 degrees which to me is basically useless. So glued on they will be just like a Vortech MP pump. *unless someone her can think of a stronger inner- -wet- magnet to use with pump that's good up to 1/2" or even 5/8" glass?*

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. They probably won't give me a refund but might send me 2 new pumps. The irony about this is for such a small pump they really push out a wide spread of water. If I get stuck with these 2 i have or they send me new ones that have the same weak magnet problem I'm just going to super glue the pump to the inner 'wet' magnet. The angle of movement is suppose to be only 15 degrees which to me is basically useless. So glued on they will be just like a Vortech MP pump. *unless someone her can think of a stronger inner- -wet- magnet to use with pump that's good up to 1/2" or even 5/8" glass?*
This sounds like they are counting on the thrust produced by the pump to assist in holding. Too strong of a magnet next to the pump will result in a whole new set of issues like we seen with the wave pump.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like they are counting on the thrust produced by the pump to assist in holding. Too strong of a magnet next to the pump will result in a whole new set of issues like we seen with the wave pump.
I don't understand what you mean by 'thrust needed to hold the pump on'. I have several different brands of flow pumps, even the cheap Jabeo Rw nanos and all these pumps don't need thrust to keep it attached to magnet. Even Jabeo RW-2 and Eco SW2 have stronger magnets ( and no problem staying attached to 1/2" glass) than the Nero's and they are about 50-60% cheaper.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is response from Cade from AI :
125.jpg

Cade Shemanski (AquaIllumination)

Jan 7, 8:48 AM EST

John,

I do apologize about the delay! Most of the team was out due to the holidays. However, I will let you know we are working on a solution for your issue. I have your information here on file. You will be the first person I reach out to when it is finished!

Thank you,

I think the solution is quite simple - STRONGER MAGNETS!!

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting issues with a seemingly simple problem. Although I remember Julian Sprung explaining their issues with their magnet feeder and maybe it is more complicated than we think. That said, I am glad I read this and will look at other pumps for build underway. Hopefully they fix the magnet issue sooner than later, or they risk losing a lot of business. Good luck with their "investigation" and I hope you get your just refund.

The irony is there is a giveaway contest on Reef2Reef right now. Maybe you can win a free replacement from Triaquatics ... ;)

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I keep repeating this but if u have Nero 5’s with weak magnet problems PLEASE send an email to AI & let them know. Especially let them know if u plan on buying a different brand pump because of the magnet problems. The more comments/complaints they receive the sooner they will fix it. “Hit ‘em in the wallet & they will take notice really fast”!!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if you have tried this pump on thinner glass, and whether that helps to alleviate the problem? I would have thought that the issue is with the 'wet' magnet and glass thickness is irrelevant - but maybe some of the holding power for the pump comes from the 'dry' magnet. Also curious whether bolstering the external magnet helps.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if you have tried this pump on thinner glass, and whether that helps to alleviate the problem? I would have thought that the issue is with the 'wet' magnet and glass thickness is irrelevant - but maybe some of the holding power for the pump comes from the 'dry' magnet. Also curious whether bolstering the external magnet helps.

Have a nero 5 pump on a 3/8" glass and it stays put ( as mentioned before ) and there's no problem

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm watching that original video and thinking "what happens when a turbo snail tries to climb on that thing?". Looks like it's going to dive. I've used AI Sol and then Hydra lights and like the company, but when I've had issues with tech support it's not been great. Right before Christmas I had an issue with my Hydra 26 power adapter at the same time I was having an issue with my Ecotech Vortech MP10's. Sent support requests in via both AI website and Ecotech website. I was very confused when I got a single response to both requests. After some back and forth with the tech he told me they outsource to the same place for tech support. WHAT???? Response below.

I guess I’m a little confused. I sent 2 separate support requests yesterday. One to Aquaillumination and one to Ecotech. Seems like you are answering both? Did I miss a merger at some point?

Peter Young

Peter,

Thank you for getting back to us! I did see both support tickets that I merged together to answer for you as one. We do work for EcoTech Marine but we also provide service for AI customers as that is our partner company! You are correct as I hopefully answered both questions for you.

Thanks again,
Mike

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm watching that original video and thinking "what happens when a turbo snail tries to climb on that thing?". Looks like it's going to dive. I've used AI Sol and then Hydra lights and like the company, but when I've had issues with tech support it's not been great. Right before Christmas I had an issue with my Hydra 26 power adapter at the same time I was having an issue with my Ecotech Vortech MP10's. Sent support requests in via both AI website and Ecotech website. I was very confused when I got a single response to both requests. After some back and forth with the tech he told me they outsource to the same place for tech support. WHAT???? Response below.

I guess I’m a little confused. I sent 2 separate support requests yesterday. One to Aquaillumination and one to Ecotech. Seems like you are answering both? Did I miss a merger at some point?

Peter Young

Peter,

Thank you for getting back to us! I did see both support tickets that I merged together to answer for you as one. We do work for EcoTech Marine but we also provide service for AI customers as that is our partner company! You are correct as I hopefully answered both questions for you.

Thanks again,
Mike

Ecotech and AI merged a few years ago...

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Here is update of continuing saga of weak magnets for my nero 5 pumps. It's been a little under 2 weeks since last response (most of engineering team off for Holidays), so I sent an email to rep ( Cade) a couple of days ago to check on status. Here is response: **At least Cade responds quickly to my emails**

Cade Shemanski (AquaIllumination)

Jan 14, 8:39 AM EST

Hey John,

They have viewed all the information and videos you sent. As stated, I have your information on file and on my desk. As soon as I get word on a solution, I will reach right back out to you! I do apologize for the wait time!

Have a great day,

I hope their solution is going to be a stronger magnet for the inner 'wet' one that attachs to pump!!

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been tempted to get these for my reefer 350 until
I saw this thread. Definitely sounds like they would be a no go on the back and cutting it close on the sides. Sucks.

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would chime in as I just purchased 2 of these for my tank, looking for something a little more low profile. They are small - but I had 2 issues right away.

First - the whine and sound coming from them was unreal! I contacted support and the answer I received was the attached video - for a $300 pump NOTHING should leave the factory that was not tested and 100% below is the response I received.

Thank you for contacting AI! I am sorry to hear that! Can you please follow the video below:

This should resolve the noise issue you are experiencing. If it does not, please let me know!

Thank you,

The second issue - is within 15 minutes of putting them on - my file fish got sucked into the back - not sure if it is a design flaw but after seeing the below post - definitely would be aware.

My purple tang just got stuck behind the pump... now his stomach is caved in.... I don’t know if that’s was like that before I don’t remember that yesterday.....

Is this a design flaw?! Did I just spend all this money to get my fish stuck?

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand what ur saying, but if Tunze can develop various strength magnets for their products then AI should be able to also. *Unless Tunze has smarter engineers!

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those videos tell the whole story. I hope you get a refund, and switch brands. Best wishes, and thanks for bringing the problem to light! :oops:
Too late for a refund. Just hope the fix is soon, like a stronger magnet that attaches to pump on inside. *Meanwhile I have 2 brand new unused Maxspecht xf230 gyre pumps with controller sitting in their original boxes collecting dust. Unfortunately I bought the Nero 5 pumps on a whim thinking they have a smaller imprint in my 66g reef & tried them first. The irony is 2 xf230’s w/controller =$430 ; 2 Nero 5 pumps = $598!!???

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back