AI NERO 5 POWERHEAD

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my Nero Wednesday. It is quite powerful knocked some of my frags out of place.
Pros:
-Powerful
-Cheaper than MPs
-Can control with app
-Have some freedom pointing it to where you want it to

Cons:
-Seems cheaply made to me
-Hate the wire in the tank
-Afraid that overtime the wire will start to break just like the iphone charger
-Can’t control it from away needs bluetooth to connect to your phone
Not being able to control the AI Nero from away from home (aside from an on/off feature from Neptune etc.) is unfortunate.

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not being able to control the AI Nero from away from home (aside from an on/off feature from Neptune etc.) is unfortunate.

It's odd in that the AI Hydra's, though the same app, establish a connection via the cloud, as well as local. And the Nero's are newer so you would think they would have it as well. I love the app but agree managing over the cloud is a nice thing to have for sure.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could never connect with any of my lights over the cloud and am on “stand alone”, so not being able to control the Nero means nothing for me. I really appreciate the simplicity of the unit and no maintenance or noise.

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of my nero’s stop working out of nowhere. Contacted AI and they suggested resetting and disconnecting from outlet. It worked but have kept an eye on that Nero since then. It was a day before vacation too :(

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone thinking of purchasing a Nero 5 should wait until they rectify the issue of fish being sucking into the rear of the pump because the openings are too large. Do a search and you will find a few threads pertaining to this happening. Ai is not acknowledging that there is an issue and offering a fix. :mad:

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know which of the following pumps can be programmed to run a daily cycle automatically and indefinitely without buying additional hardware:

-Octo pulse 2
-AI Nero
-Tunze Turbelle 6055

Thx!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I Love mine. One word of caution : These were not made for tanks for thick glass and will slide off tanks with 3/4" or thicker

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know which of the following pumps can be programmed to run a daily cycle automatically and indefinitely without buying additional hardware:

-Octo pulse 2
-AI Nero
-Tunze Turbelle 6055

Thx!

Not sure about the others, but the Nero can be programmed via their mobile app, so I guess technically you have to buy a phone, but you likely already have one :cool:

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yes. I just can't pull the plug on a Nero with the fish kills and weaker magnet.

I ended up with a pair of them from an open box sale, so mine were admittedly dirt cheap. They move a TON of water in my tank, and I've sort of rigged a barrier behind them to prevent the fish gobble problem. The thing that disappoints me the most about them is that AI decided to not produce the battery backup system for them, which makes me really want to swap them out for something else that has a backup system.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been using Neros since day 1, I like them a lot - cheaper and about the same low profile as Vortechs except the battery backup. I've used them on my 75, in a 10-gallon nem tank and in a 25 lagoon and never lost a fish to them.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had issues with the magnet and good luck getting anything, other than the runaround from AI. They handled my case in a deplorable manner, when after you cut through the crap, all they had to do was send me replacement magnets. I gave up seeking any redress or solution from them. Honestly, saving a few pennies on an item with such a high retail cost and then not accepting the faux pas, is inexcusable.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back