AI Nero 5 - The Little Pump That Could

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I got in a pair of AI Nero 5 pumps. I got them from my good friend @Reef-Tank
Figured I'd give them a try as I was looking for something different from my ice cap gyres. Don't get me wrong, they work great and I love them, but I was looking for something different. Plus I'm a tech junkie and am always looking to try new things. I used to have a pair of Vortech MP10's and I missed them. I couldn't shell out for a pair of MP40's so these were the next best thing.
These pumps are rated at 3,000 gallons per hour each, and after I took them out of the box I thought to my self "yeah right, there's no way. Maybe together they'd reach 3k"
But I installed them, hooked them all up, and since I have the hydra 26HD's the Nero is ran off the same app which is really nice, and do they push water! I was blown away at how much a little pump could move! Linking them to the app was a breeze. You can go in and set schedules, see what gallons per hour each pump is currently running at, feed mode, set the pumps at full power for a set amount of time, which after they'll go back to their schedule, run a child and parent setup so one mimics the other or does the opposite of the other.
These little guys are amazing. If you've considered trying them i'd highly recommend them :)

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine too. I was hesitant because I always used mp10s in my other tanks. So far I am impressed, and they have been running for about 6mths. They are very quiet too. I was worried about the look of the wires but honestly you hardly notice them.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at them for a directional pump, but they scare me with all the reports of fish getting stuck or sucked through the back. Did you get the new cage with yours?

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at them for a directional pump, but they scare me with all the reports of fish getting stuck or sucked through the back. Did you get the new cage with yours?
No cages. But I don't have any super small fish. Hopefully theyll be ok :)

Jamesrup0411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I got in a pair of AI Nero 5 pumps. I got them from my good friend @Reef-Tank
Figured I'd give them a try as I was looking for something different from my ice cap gyres. Don't get me wrong, they work great and I love them, but I was looking for something different. Plus I'm a tech junkie and am always looking to try new things. I used to have a pair of Vortech MP10's and I missed them. I couldn't shell out for a pair of MP40's so these were the next best thing.
These pumps are rated at 3,000 gallons per hour each, and after I took them out of the box I thought to my self "yeah right, there's no way. Maybe together they'd reach 3k"
But I installed them, hooked them all up, and since I have the hydra 26HD's the Nero is ran off the same app which is really nice, and do they push water! I was blown away at how much a little pump could move! Linking them to the app was a breeze. You can go in and set schedules, see what gallons per hour each pump is currently running at, feed mode, set the pumps at full power for a set amount of time, which after they'll go back to their schedule, run a child and parent setup so one mimics the other or does the opposite of the other.
These little guys are amazing. If you've considered trying them i'd highly recommend them :)
What size tank are you running the neros on?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PIC's I see there on sale for 200 thats not bad for what it is

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four MP10s and I have been considering getting rid of all four and replacing with two or three Nero 5's. Only thing stopping me is how easy it is to clean the MP10's. Also I wonder if AI is working on larger or smaller versions of these.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jamesrup0411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a 90gal 4ft, I was considering Nero or reef octo. What percentage are you running them on? Would one Nero been sufficient for your tank?

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Are you placing one on each side? I could imagine that will give you a lot of options for different flow patterns.
Yup! One on each end

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I run 4 on RS 425xl (4ft) and they give a ton of flow. Agree the app is also very nice. If they make smaller one I’d hide them along my back wall to improve circulation through my rock ‘wall’ lol.

ReeferSteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like them better than the gyres?

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased 2 for my 75g tanks as well, i am very impresses with the flow and app as stated. I have owned mp10s, mp40s and tunze pumps in the past. For the price id buy these anytime. My only gripe is the magnets on the inside that holds the pump in place is weak and can be knocked off when running my mag cleaner along the glass but not a deal breaker and holds in place while operational just fine

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
does anyone know if these will work with the icecap battery backup version 1 or the new 24v version?

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like them better than the gyres?
I do for the simple fact I can link them together and run schedules. The ice caps were great but each ran off their own controller.

FishDoc

Fish Obsessed.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, aren’t these the “little pumps that COULDN’T stick to 1/2”+ glass? Haha, I kid, but seriously...?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 48 43.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.3%
Back