OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At $300 it's priced fairly for the GPH and its small footprint, wondering about reliability but its too new to know for sure.

How long have you guys had your 3 & 5s running issue free so far.
3+ years on nero 5 and no issues - surprisingly

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
3+ years on nero 5 and no issues - surprisingly

Why surprisingly? Is AI not a reliable co or just the fact that it's a relatively new product?

Let me know your thoughts.

The 7 is the only powerhead that could handle 3/4" glass so I might be interested due to its smaller internal footprint.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had 2 neros 3 pumps and both magnets split and started rusting and yes i do clean them properly lol . i clean all my power heads every month
I keep the outside magnet in the back section/sump of my IM penninsula. I used a food saver to seal that magnet up. Was it that one or the magnet that sits right on the back of the powerhead that was splitting?

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Why surprisingly? Is AI not a reliable co or just the fact that it's a relatively new product?

Let me know your thoughts.

The 7 is the only powerhead that could handle 3/4" glass so I might be interested due to its smaller internal footprint.
I have had bad experience with ecotech pumps ( who also manufacture Ai pumps) and expected the worse
My nero 5 does well with 3/4" glass.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nero 3 and it's ok. It stops working every few weeks, but I can get it up and running again after a quick cleaning. I could have gotten similar results from Jebao for 1/2 the price and probably would have had even less issues TBH. That being said, I couldn't imagine spending $300 for a pump from AI when again, I can possibly have a slightly less unreliable pump from Jebao, and pay far less money for it.

I found my Jebao to be too loud so I returned it, I never hear my Nero.

Could just be an anecdote or a singular bad pump. I also have my main tank in my office area so I pick up on any noise more so than someone with a tank in a higher traffic area.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have had bad experience with ecotech pumps ( who also manufacture Ai pumps) and expected the worse
My nero 5 does well with 3/4" glass.

Not a fan of ecotech at all here and while both companies are owned by single entity are they really manufactured in one place?

Either way very happy to hear that it works well and if the Nero 5 has no problem holding onto 3/4" glass the 7 should have no problems either; assuming while larger it also comes with a larger magnet.

I recently tested the largest Tunze and while this could probably hold onto 1"+ glass I'm not crazy happy about its larger dimensions.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At $300 it's priced fairly for the GPH and its small footprint, wondering about reliability but its too new to know for sure.

How long have you guys had your 3 & 5s running issue free so far.
I had one Nero 5 fail 2 months out of warranty with the dreaded flashing red led, which was sad.

The other 3 are fine as is the Nero 3 on the Nano, so the survivors are over 2 1/2 years old.
The failed one I replaced with another Nero as I figured just bad luck. It's a harsh environment.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep the outside magnet in the back section/sump of my IM penninsula. I used a food saver to seal that magnet up. Was it that one or the magnet that sits right on the back of the powerhead that was splitting?
no it was the power head magnets were the blade spin on

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nero 3 and it's ok. It stops working every few weeks, but I can get it up and running again after a quick cleaning. I could have gotten similar results from Jebao for 1/2 the price and probably would have had even less issues TBH. That being said, I couldn't imagine spending $300 for a pump from AI when again, I can possibly have a slightly less unreliable pump from Jebao, and pay far less money for it.
Fun part is that they (Jebaeo and Ai) are using the same patent.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun part is that they (Jebaeo and Ai) are using the same patent.
Jebao and patent abdications....

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

That's rich.

P.S. I still use their stuff :)

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Recent reviews at BRS state that they have annoying wine (noise) when being run at over 50%

Somebody was recently selling 4 of them here priced fairly, im going to wait for long term reviews before commiting.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recent reviews at BRS state that they have annoying wine (noise) when being run at over 50%

Somebody was recently selling 4 of them here priced fairly, im going to wait for long term reviews before commiting.
My Nero 3’s did the same thing I hated them

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nero 7 replaced an MP60…..

I was running the MP60 at around 40%. The Nero 7 I have running around 70% to move a similar amount of water. I actually think the Nero has a more broad flow pattern, but hard to tell for sure.

It certainly is MUCH quieter than the MP60. It’s completely silent below 60%, and pretty quiet to 100%. And it‘s way less impactful to the aesthetic. Win.

PlumberDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nero 7 replaced an MP60…..

I was running the MP60 at around 40%. The Nero 7 I have running around 70% to move a similar amount of water. I actually think the Nero has a more broad flow pattern, but hard to tell for sure.

It certainly is MUCH quieter than the MP60. It’s completely silent below 60%, and pretty quiet to 100%. And it‘s way less impactful to the aesthetic. Win.
How is it holding up?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running 4 Nero 7s for a few months now (replacing MP40s) and I have had very little problems. The only small issue I have is when trying to point the pumps left or right, they seem to find their way back to center over time. The sticky pads that are supposed to hold them in place end up moving. They have a wider band when moving water and are completely silent in my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back