AI NERO - Too Much Flow?!?

xLimitlessJR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a couple of Nero's for my 22 gallon long (36x12x12), I run the master on the following schedule:

08.30a - 12.00p - Random - Min: 25% / Max: 50% / Variance: High

12.00p - 02.00p - Pulse - Max: 60% / On: 3s / Off: 1s

02.00p - 04.00p - Random - Min: 25% / Max: 50% / Variance: Med

04.00p - 08.00p - Random - Min: 15% / Max: 30% / Variance: Med

08.00p - 08.30a - Random - Min: 10% / Max: 25% / Variance: Low

I have the slave set to Max Speed of 33% and Phase of 180.

I feel like it might be a touch too much flow for my euphyllia's and Acans, but generally, everything looks conent...any thoughts?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

I have not run the Nero. I am guessing you have the 3 and not the 5. The flow you have set for a 3 foot tank does not sound bad, but rock work has some to do with it as well as your corals flow needs. Like you mentioned, the coral will tell you if it is working.

Maybe try moving the pieces that are not responding positively, or go back to a prior flow that you had better results from. Personally, I am not a fan of pulse. If I run something like that it would be 45 seconds on, 15 off.

Maybe someone running you pump will chime in since I am just going based off flow #’s and not hands on, but your set up sounds ok.

OP
OP
xLimitlessJR

xLimitlessJR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

I have not run the Nero. I am guessing you have the 3 and not the 5. The flow you have set for a 3 foot tank does not sound bad, but rock work has some to do with it as well as your corals flow needs. Like you mentioned, the coral will tell you if it is working.

Maybe try moving the pieces that are not responding positively, or go back to a prior flow that you had better results from. Personally, I am not a fan of pulse. If I run something like that it would be 45 seconds on, 15 off.

Maybe someone running you pump will chime in since I am just going based off flow #’s and not hands on, but your set up sounds ok.

No they are the Nero 5s, don't think the Nero 3s have been released yet (I wish they had, they look to be much lower profile

Thanks for the thoughts!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The settings for a 5 may be a bit strong, but again that is just going off #’s.

@Homebrewer had a great writeup about the Nero. Maybe he can chime if available

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the nod @Mastiffsrule.

The key to dialing-in the flow, if you’re trying to hit a certain gph or turnover rate that is, is to know what the pump is putting out. The Nero 5 percentage settings are an percentage of power, not flow. This means that a setting of 50% does not mean 1500gph (which is half of the max 3000gph rating). I put a table together that translates the settings to actual flow (per the app)... hope this helps:

2AF9AF10-B5BA-4232-8BBA-2A9127701F59.png

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nero5 in a 40 breeder set to about 50%, and it's a ton of flow... can't imagine having 2 of them in a 22 gal except maybe on the lowest setting.

The Nero3 is supposed to ship in a week or 2 (BRS is taking advanced orders now).

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nero5 in a 40 breeder set to about 50%, and it's a ton of flow... can't imagine having 2 of them in a 22 gal except maybe on the lowest setting.

The Nero3 is supposed to ship in a week or 2 (BRS is taking advanced orders now).
Yeah I tend to agree. For example, at one point you have one pump putting out 60% which is 2200 gph. That alone is 100x turnover coming out of just one pump (albeit on pulse mode).

There are plenty of opinions out there on turnover, flow, etc., but let’s just say for sake of argument, many people go for 40-60x turnover (I know, I know, people will argue this, I’m just trying to set a point for comparison), you’re at double that on just one of these pumps. In my opinion, 100x is a ton of flow but it’s possible to have that as a goal... I know some of the SPS lovers really favor higher rates.

Personally I try to hit that 40-60x range at any given moment using random settings.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back