AI Prime 16 HD WiFi issue

LeadHead83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got brand new AI prime 16HD

My issue is cannot get it to connect to my router I’ve reset it a number of times and tried with load of different devices. iPad,iPhone,android phone and pc and the prime just won’t creating its own hotspot.

on every device I checked it with could not find the hotspot so been unable to connect it to internet and install firmware update

has anyone else had this issues. I’m I missing something or have I got a faulty unit.

I’ve looked at YouTube guide and I’m doing everything correctly but cannot get it to work

Ocean Roamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with your phone first.......do a reset........make sure you got bluetooth and wifi switched on........and setup as per instructions......then register you units on ai website......hope that helps.......if your still stuck use ia help email......

OP
OP
LeadHead83

LeadHead83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with your phone first.......do a reset........make sure you got bluetooth and wifi switched on........and setup as per instructions......then register you units on ai website......hope that helps.......if your still stuck use ia help email......

ThankS Ocean

it works fine over Bluetooth but when trying the WiFi method and connecting it to my router cannot get it past first step I’ve tried and tried think going be a job for AI Support I have sent them an email just waiting for a reply.

Was hoping somebody else might had same issue or knew of away to connect if possibly by using WPS method. Or any other ways to connect it to my router.

Ocean Roamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea to be honest......i dont like giving "The Cloud" acess to my router......bit of a security nut that way........Hope you get a fix........and post because i reckon there will be other people with same issue.....

OP
OP
LeadHead83

LeadHead83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve now used a WiFi sniffing tool on my pc to scan for all network with range of my pc.

I sat with prime at my desk did a complete factory reset waited for to flash red and then let go of button. It starts to flash blue green waited two mins for WiFi hotspot it’s still flashing blue and green then I started to scan all local WiFi signal near my PC on the 2.4ghz and it’s like my prime is not creating its hotspot cannot work out why

OP
OP
LeadHead83

LeadHead83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want install firmware update prob go back to local Bluetooth once it’s done just missing the thunder feature and any other fixes in the new firmware

Im a cyber security expert my home network has a Fortinet firewall guarding it and most things around the house have isolated vlans. You have to be good to get past it.

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want install firmware update prob go back to local Bluetooth once it’s done just missing the thunder feature and any other fixes in the new firmware

Im a cyber security expert my home network has a Fortinet firewall guarding it and most things around the house have isolated vlans. You have to be good to get past it.

Newest addition of ai primes do not have a wifi radio they are BT.

The storm feature they also did away with.
Firmware will be updated threw BT

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been able to update the firmware through the Bluetooth connection. The video you linked is from 2015 and I believe the WiFi feature was dropped just this year (although I did see a rumor recently that they may be looking at bringing it back). I also think the weather features were dropped for this gen although lunar phases are still there.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been able to update the firmware through the Bluetooth connection. The video you linked is from 2015 and I believe the WiFi feature was dropped just this year (although I did see a rumor recently that they may be looking at bringing it back). I also think the weather features were dropped for this gen although lunar phases are still there.
I believe they still have weather feature. They just upgraded the lens really and took away the wifi option. Some people have been saying the fans are a little louder too but IMO they are well worth it. I havent run mine through all the settings yet cause im still cycling my tank but im gonna have to check on that weather feature now.

Last edited:

LatchedWings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they still have weather feature. They just upgraded the lens really and took away the wifi option. Some people have been saying the fans are a little louder too but IMO they are well worth it. I havent run mine through all the settings yet cause im still cycling my tank but im gonna have to check on that weather feature now.

The 16s have a place for weather effects features, but the only thing in it is lunar cycle and acclimation mode. I’ve been hearing they were returning storm and WiFi almost since they came out last year, but nothing so far.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to have these lights and the original 16 the original ones only support WiFi new ones don’t.

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, the new 16hd's are currently only bluetooth accessible, however, they have the ability to be accessed through wifi but it is currently disabled. Ai has claimed they will eventually release a software update that will allow wifi but I'm sure it will be some time before that happens.

OP
OP
LeadHead83

LeadHead83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like a vulnerability might have been discovered in the Broadcom Wifi Chip that its prob fitted with. there was a massive issue last year were apple and google had to release a patch to address a vulnerability in there Broadcom wifi chips. Let hope AI fix this and re enabled the features

one of the thing i like is if i away on business i can control the light as part of a disaster recover option accompanied with my controller and Seneye i can monitor and control most parts of my system from any were in the world. and let me relax a little bit more when away from the tank for long periods of time.

BHHOWARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt they would have selected a chip with WIFI, LITE-ON WCBN3516A which contains a Qualcomm QCA4020, vs a non-WIFI chip, such as Qualcomm QCA4024, if they didn't plan on enabling the WIFI portion of the chip.

Last edited:

Causticchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back