Ai prime HD help needed

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I have a single AI Prime HD that I'm using on a 15gal column tank.
This is a new build from an old tank. (Still in old tank phase)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/citys-15-gallon-column-nano-reef-build.430708/
This tank will be a mixed reef with sps, lps and softies.

I had the light set up with the shorter gooseneck but it was too high and light spilled everywhere.
15336077325698150413623910951809-jpg.807898

I then had the idea to mount the light in the cover that comes with the tank.
20180806_225349-jpg.808012

20180806_225216-jpg.808008

What I need help with is settings and coverage.
The light now sits about 3 or 4 inches off the surface of the water. I don't want to cook my tank with excessive heat and I don't want to burn my corals. I want good, even spread for good growth and coloration.

I have tried to replicate the Coral Lab AB+ settings but it was WAAAAY too bright. I now have it set with the following settings...
29%...UV
30%...Violet
17%...Royal Blue
18%...Blue
1%...Green
1%...Red
9%...Cool White

Are these settings good?
What might I need to adjust?
Can this mounting idea work for what I am trying to do?
Is there anything I am overlooking?

Last edited:

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran one on a Nuvo 10 for a year and loved it. Great lights for any coral. I’m currently using on a small frag tank.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope someone with insight can help me out on these settings.
This is a new build...or at least it will be very soon and I really want to get it right.

Looking forward to hearing from the community about this.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up a quick spreadsheet to scale back the Coral Labs lighting. I've done this a few times to set up the David Saxby lighting method. I think you're good with having your lights max out at 30% on a tank that size.

Something else that I did recently was sort through all of the settings shown on the AI site (link below) to see what mix of coloring I liked. These are all beautiful, successful tanks and the owners have uploaded their settings. Just be sure to scale the settings back.

Last edited:

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine currently over a 12” x 12” x 12” cube mounted 24 inches above for the mangroves to receive coverage. I also have soft coral in the bottom as well as a few acro frags. This setting has been working well for 3 months so far. There is a 1 hour ramp time.

0ef781460ac472b864e8c963570aeb66.jpg

655ff78522c7ffce8182cfdc2c57dcb2.jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can download a lux app on your phone.

Use the main camera not the rear camera. Take a screen shot of what it reads just above the surface(going to be hard to see your screen lol). Divide that number by say 60. That will be your approximate par at the surface. Par numbers should then follow a predictable decline to the bottom of the tank. Will give you an idea what to place where at those settings.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is my generic AI light help response, but I'll give some additional details. I have a non-HD Prime on a 14G cube and run my blues at 100%, with minimal red/green and whites shifting between 12-35% throughout the day. It can be done on a tank that size, but you have to work your way up slowly and get some PAR readings to determine proper zones for different types of coral. One thing I'd be cautious with is the closeness to your water line and the lack of ventilation room for the light. All LEDs are low-heat compared to other light types, but closed in like that, this could heat up your tank quite a bit.

----------------
So here are some popular presets that you're able to import via the AI app (from your computer)..

David Saxby (probably the most widely used AI preset)..
https://www.theaquariumsolution.com/light-presets-hd-ai-led-aquarium-lighting

BRS mimic of the Coral AB+ spectrum (settings right at the 11 min mark)..
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/spotlight-on-the-ai-prime-hd-led-light-brstv/

AI's signature series presets from featured tanks..
http://www.aquaillumination.com/signature/

And here's my settings.. (although I have the older non-HD Prime, so one of the colors is different)..
https://imgur.com/a/5dCR7oW

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back