AI Prime HD on a 14 gallon biocube

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you intend to grow in there? I had a Fluval for a coral qt and it did so well that I turned it into a nano. I thought the stock leds were amazing, I had significant growth on all my Softies and lps coral and even a little bit of growth on plating and encrusting coral. I also had sps in there for several weeks (elevated of course l) and they looked well. Now it has mostly lps and softies. How do you like the skimmer? It works but I find it to be way too loud. I am also getting salt creep around it.

I like to mix it up but so far it's mostly SPS and LPS.. I don't even have the skimmer on. I tried messing with it for like 2 weeks and I couldn't find a spot I liked it at so I'm going without one for now.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to mix it up but so far it's mostly SPS and LPS.. I don't even have the skimmer on. I tried messing with it for like 2 weeks and I couldn't find a spot I liked it at so I'm going without one for now.

Open the air dial all the way but take it out of the cap and let it hang, then dial the water up to the base of cup. I couldn't get mine to work either but then I saw a store running one with no air dial. I tried that but the hose slurps air too loud and it kept skimming super wet. Then I put the air nob back on and it fixed everything. Took like two weeks to break in too. Post some pics sometime.
5793b5452b1ff86e73211a1b62d3621e.jpg

I've put some new coral in there since I took the pick but you can see my intentions.

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Yeah I read a lot about how to dial them in. I'll give it another go at some point lol and nice looking tank! Is that an Exquisite FIrefish? I just bought one but he's been hiding for over a week now

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Yeah I read a lot about how to dial them in. I'll give it another go at some point lol and nice looking tank! Is that an Exquisite FIrefish? I just bought one but he's been hiding for over a week now
I don't know, I did know, but I forgot. Here she is being a creep. She takes shifts hiding in the same spot as my blue banded coral shrimp. She goes in at night, he comes out. She now ticks at feeding time. A steady rhythm of tic-tic-pause over and over while I prep the food. What are you going to stock for fish?

cc7c52b5e46937f4ce702900b7e4f6fe.jpg

smileyjoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My AI Prime does excellent on my 28 JBJ. Everything thrives under it. It's a mixed reef.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a single AI Prime, the original, lighting my 93 gallon cube tank. It's a FOWLR tank, so I don't have to worry about par or pur. I also obviously have it on high percentages. This light almost seems overkill for a Fluval 12 gallon. You'd have to dial it back so much that I'm sure a cheaper light would suffice. Also, the original Prime and HD have different led placement and numbers of each color. When setup the same way, the HD gives off a noticeably bluer light.

One thing I would definitely invest in with the Fluval Evo tank is to get an inTank media basket for chamber 1 instead of the crap protein skimmer. The stock filter is such garbage and the media basket forces the water through the actual media. They also make a bigger basket for chamber 2 in the back, but I just load it with Seachem Matrix. I cut up the big sponge that they call a filter and use it to catch detritus in the top of the media basket and use the rest to wipe down the tank. That big sponge will cause so much detritus to skyrocket nitrates & phosphates and the water mostly goes around the media, which should be replaced with real media as well.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a single AI Prime, the original, lighting my 93 gallon cube tank. It's a FOWLR tank, so I don't have to worry about par or pur. I also obviously have it on high percentages. This light almost seems overkill for a Fluval 12 gallon. You'd have to dial it back so much that I'm sure a cheaper light would suffice. Also, the original Prime and HD have different led placement and numbers of each color. When setup the same way, the HD gives off a noticeably bluer light.

One thing I would definitely invest in with the Fluval Evo tank is to get an inTank media basket for chamber 1 instead of the crap protein skimmer. The stock filter is such garbage and the media basket forces the water through the actual media. They also make a bigger basket for chamber 2 in the back, but I just load it with Seachem Matrix. I cut up the big sponge that they call a filter and use it to catch detritus in the top of the media basket and use the rest to wipe down the tank. That big sponge will cause so much detritus to skyrocket nitrates & phosphates and the water mostly goes around the media, which should be replaced with real media as well.

I have to completely disagree about it being overkill on a 13 gallon sps or anemone tank. The tank I showed in the picture in my last post is 16.9 gallons and I have the light cranked using over 80% of available power.

On your point about the HD and Original Prime putting off a very different color of light yes they do. I personally believe it is a significantly better diode loadout on the HD vs non-HD lights.

Last edited:

indiana812

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an iPhone this is easiest. Download the OneDrive app. Download the light schedule [emoji652]️
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akco_cmvvLNrgZhvhMItJgGOhOTNVg
Then when you're in the app and have the file opened, click on the share button and if you already have the "MyAI" app downloaded, there should be a button saying "copy to MyAI"
After that go into the AI app, go to the "control" button and then click on the [emoji294]️, then hit "select preset" and it should be there
This links isn’t going through :/ any update?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back