OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Tampa wow I wonder if I can do local pick up. May have to check into that. My tank is almost 3 months old and haven't run a light on it besides a cheap desk lamp light that I got for like 10$ at Walmart lol because I herd if you run lights you will definitely run into algae blooms. I wonder if I'm passed that stage as I dose stability with water changes and used live sand as well. Or do you think I still have to go through those stages

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Tampa wow I wonder if I can do local pick up. May have to check into that. My tank is almost 3 months old and haven't run a light on it besides a cheap desk lamp light that I got for like 10$ at Walmart lol because I herd if you run lights you will definitely run into algae blooms. I wonder if I'm passed that stage as I dose stability with water changes and used live sand as well. Or do you think I still have to go through those stages
Yes, you can do local pick-up. One of the more experienced reefers in here can help you with the last question, as I too am totally new at this. Check my build, it may give you some ideas. I just kept my set up as basic and easy as I could by following the information here, and YouTube with the experienced reefers.
This video intrigued me, probably why I dove in and gave reefing a try.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question real fast. So once I find a place in my tank that I like where I want the coral to go and I place it there and let's say the coral doesn't like that spot because lighting is to bring it flow is to strong or etc will I have to break that frag off each time and re glue it if that spot isn't good or should I adjust the other factors around it?
No you never change the factors for one coral. Unless if it’s obvious that the lightning or flow is bothering everything in the tank.
But never change something for one coral, because if you do that you could end up with 5 sad corals for just one happy one.
Usually other factors such as parameters might be the issue on why that coral or corals are not doing well. If that isn’t the reason you can change that corals place, but I would leave that as a final resort.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16hds are the reason I do not run halides anymore after 30+ years.

I would start with one and add another down the road.

I run 2 on my 18" nano cube and 3 on my 36x24x12 frag system.

This is my nano cube.
20220523_181359.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn on your lights and deal with the algae blooms. You may have been past that stage if you had the lights on by now.
Their is really no way around it as its part of the cycle.

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn on your lights and deal with the algae blooms. You may have been past that stage if you had the lights on by now.
Their is really no way around it as its part of the cycle.
I can understand this....and as mention prior I'm a total novice at this, my algae bloom was extremely slight and next to non-existent, but I'm sure LR/LS isn't for everyone.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand this....and as mention prior I'm a total novice at this, my algae bloom was extremely slight and next to non-existent, but I'm sure LR/LS isn't for everyone.
My nano was started with 100% live rock from my 2 other systems. Minimal algae issues from day one and no cycle. Tanks is only 4 months old.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i had the money I would have bought red sea. The color variation between two AI lights is annoying.
Really! First I have ever heard of that. Look at my nano running 2. My frag system runs 3 with no variation at all.
20220503_114006.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Join the AI prime Facebook page. We’ll know. Will be my last AI lights I ever by and there CS is a joke
Sorry I dont do Fbook. I will stick with mine.
Oh I also run 8 16hds on 3 systems so?
Fbook is the joke, lol.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really! First I have ever heard of that. Look at my nano running 2. My frag system runs 3 with no variation at all.
20220503_114006.jpg
That’s the first time I hear about it too.
If they were different models for example an Hd and a 16 hd, variation in colour is expected even though I run this combination with no colour variation.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used AI lights for years and they work nicely. I get good growth for SPS but you need enough lights to achieve the PAR. I think the Prime will be adequate for your use. If you go to SPS, you will probably need an additional light but that is down the road. AI lights do suffer from a less than ideal spread of light with the strongest light in the center. I understand that the Ecotech lights have better spread than AI lights but you pay a premium. Also Ecotech lights do not have a light the size of an AI Prime.

reefah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your guys experience would you purchase the AI prime lights or the red sea lights? Which is the all around better light? And if you guys have any suggestion on lights just as good that could be cheaper I'm open to ideas. And also I need to mention I don't have anything to suspend the lights from so it has to be something that goes on the tank. Thanks
I have three ReefLED 90’s n I love ‘em good growth and the app is pretty simple to use. I can even send you my light configuration and you’ll be able to open it up directly from your phone and it’ll open the app !

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't seem to get this connected to my phone I have the app download and when I look for devices nothing shows up. Any help?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back