AIO to Sump Conversion

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Does anybody have any experience adding an under-tank sump to an AIO aquarium? It looks like the options to do that would be either drilling the back return chamber, or using an HOB overflow.

It could be way more trouble than it's worth. I'm just brainstorming because I want to upgrade the return pump that came with my AIO. The limiting factor is the width of the return chamber in the back of the AIO. It's only 3.7" and the pumps I'm interested in (Cor15 and Vectra S2) are 3.8"+

Alternatively, could I just skip the sump and plum one of those pumps externally?

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Why not just get a completely different setup with a sump? Would give you a chance to get a little bigger tank.
I'd love to, but I don't have the funds at this point. Or in the near future. Also, this is a nearly new tank (less than 6 months old) and is really the perfect size for my needs.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to, but I don't have the funds at this point. Or in the near future. Also, this is a nearly new tank (less than 6 months old) and is really the perfect size for my needs.
If it’s perfect for your needs then why change it up? What’s your goal for sumping the tank?

what tank do you have?

you’re naming some expensive pumps there for being budget minded.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce makes TONS of fantastic and powerful pumps in all sizes. They absolutely have one that would fit your needs Im positive of this. Also why are you so concerned with having these specific pumps? More flow?

Powerhead?

If more flow is your goal you don’t want to put some overpowered pump moving too much water through your filtration. You can overdo that and have negative effects by moving water through your filtration too quickly. If more flow is your goal you need a powerhead in the display.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sicce makes TONS of fantastic and powerful pumps in all sizes. They absolutely have one that would fit your needs Im positive of this. Also why are you so concerned with having these specific pumps? More flow?

Powerhead?

If more flow is your goal you don’t want to put some overpowered pump moving too much water through your filtration. You can overdo that and have negative effects by moving water through your filtration too quickly. If more flow is your goal you need a powerhead in the display.

I should clarify some more...

The only reason I'm exploring all of this is so I can integrate the return pump into my controller. I want to have a better idea about what's going on with my tank when I'm not around. I'm gone for 24+ hours at a time with work, and I travel a fair amount, too. Automation, and remote control/monitoring is a huge priority for my setup. My Apex Jr and B832 get me most of the way there actually.

I have plenty of options for return pumps that will fit in the back return chamber. But the most obvious pumps that can integrate with my Apex Jr (the Core15 and Vectra S2, although I know there are others that use the 0-10v DC connector) are ever so slightly too wide. I don't necessarily need any more flow than I already have (500 gph+ return pump plus my MP10). It's the automation/control/monitoring I'm wanting. If I were able to incorporate one of those pumps into my setup I'd obvious dial it down to what's appropriate for my tank.

It's definitely not a budget setup :) However there's a huge cost difference between buying just one of the above pumps, and adding a whole sump setup. I would really rather not sump the tank if I can avoid it and still achieve my goals. I do realize it seems silly on the surface to sump an AIO! But *IF* it's the only way to get the return pumps that integrate with my controller, and it could be done reasonably effectively, I would (slowly but surely) make it happen. Even if it was a very basic sump setup (no skimmer, reactors, etc.).

Anyway like I said, just brainstorming. It's entirely possible it's simply a dumb idea not worth pursuing! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I have an IM Fusion Pro 50 AIO btw. Details in my build thread.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I may have found a much more reasonable solution...

Sicce Syncra SDC return pumps can be controlled by Neptune Apex controllers using IOTA. The 3.0 will fit my return chamber. That might be the direction I end up going.

Thanks for letting me bounce ideas around :)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back