Aiptasia and a Gorgonian- what would you do?

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my dilemma-

I have 2 tanks. A 30 gallon nano and a 70 gallon.

My nano was supposed to be fish and coral and my 70 was a FOWLR. The nano tank was filled with aquacultered rock from KP aquatics and had a few anemones hitch hike in that look like aiptasia but are a cousin that do not spread like aiptasia do (according to KP and google) so I just left them alone not knowing any better. After the tank was established I added some coral from a LFS that had some spores I am guessing of aiptasia because a few weeks later they were EVERYWHERE. I thought at first they were the same anemones that came with the rock but it turns out it was not.

I tried berghia- after a month and a half and seeing no progress I assumed they did not make it because I saw no signs of them or a dent in the aiptasia it just kept getting worse and worse. I added a peppermint shrimp- never touched it. I tried F-Aiptasia- it worked but there was so many it felt like a rendition of medusa! It has gotten to the point it is out of control and the feeling of defeat is strong. It killed every coral with the exception of my gorgonian.

We are about to add the fish in the nano to the 70 gallon and catch the blue Friday sale WB has and upgrade that tank instead of having two tanks. I have found a local berghia breeder that will purchase the rocks happily. I would like to add the gorgonian over to the new tank but I am absolutely petrified of repeating the same mistakes. There appears to be no aiptasia growing on the body or the small rubble the gorgonian is attached to but I did not see it on the other frags either.

Moving forward I will only buy pre-quarantined coral from reputable vendors and stay on top of eradicating them should one pop up but I am not sure what to do with the gorgonian at this point.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my dilemma-

I have 2 tanks. A 30 gallon nano and a 70 gallon.

My nano was supposed to be fish and coral and my 70 was a FOWLR. The nano tank was filled with aquacultered rock from KP aquatics and had a few anemones hitch hike in that look like aiptasia but are a cousin that do not spread like aiptasia do (according to KP and google) so I just left them alone not knowing any better. After the tank was established I added some coral from a LFS that had some spores I am guessing of aiptasia because a few weeks later they were EVERYWHERE. I thought at first they were the same anemones that came with the rock but it turns out it was not.

I tried berghia- after a month and a half and seeing no progress I assumed they did not make it because I saw no signs of them or a dent in the aiptasia it just kept getting worse and worse. I added a peppermint shrimp- never touched it. I tried F-Aiptasia- it worked but there was so many it felt like a rendition of medusa! It has gotten to the point it is out of control and the feeling of defeat is strong. It killed every coral with the exception of my gorgonian.

We are about to add the fish in the nano to the 70 gallon and catch the blue Friday sale WB has and upgrade that tank instead of having two tanks. I have found a local berghia breeder that will purchase the rocks happily. I would like to add the gorgonian over to the new tank but I am absolutely petrified of repeating the same mistakes. There appears to be no aiptasia growing on the body or the small rubble the gorgonian is attached to but I did not see it on the other frags either.

Moving forward I will only buy pre-quarantined coral from reputable vendors and stay on top of eradicating them should one pop up but I am not sure what to do with the gorgonian at this point.
If you’re getting a bigger tank you have more options if some aptasia were to sneak in. I think the best fish for aptasia is the copperband butterflyfish. I literally move rocks from other tanks with aptasia so he can clean them off. He follows my hand around whenever I put in the tank hoping for a juicy aptasia covered rock. Sometimes I feel bad if I don’t have one for him lol.

Add the gorgonian. It’s nearly impossible to avoid aptasia indefinitely and it’s not that bad to deal with if you have the right fish.

OP
OP
B

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re getting a bigger tank you have more options if some aptasia were to sneak in. I think the best fish for aptasia is the copperband butterflyfish. I literally move rocks from other tanks with aptasia so he can clean them off. He follows my hand around whenever I put in the tank hoping for a juicy aptasia covered rock. Sometimes I feel bad if I don’t have one for him lol.

Add the gorgonian. It’s nearly impossible to avoid aptasia indefinitely and it’s not that bad to deal with if you have the right fish.
I want to keep sofities, LPS and a clam so having a CB wouldnt be the best idea, right? I know its next to impossible to keep it completely out but I am so gun shy after this nano fiasco!

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to keep sofities, LPS and a clam so having a CB wouldnt be the best idea, right? I know its next to impossible to keep it completely out but I am so gun shy after this nano fiasco!
The clam would be a problem

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletail aka Matted aka Aiptasia eating File fish aka Acreichthys tomentosus has been my absolute best defense against aiptasia. It likes algae too so if you don't already feed some nori I would if you get this fish. It also likes my pellets. And my black worms. And frozen mixes... Ok, it should also be known as a Pig. They are also ugly cute and fun to watch.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back