Aiptasia and sps frags

Tyler Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will cutting sps frags off of plugs eliminate potential aiptasia from getting into my system?
Being that it can’t root onto healthy acro tissue it should eliminate the threat in my mind.
Thoughts? Been trying to find previous discussions on this, but have not found much

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can transfer via water during it's free swimming phase (I am pretty sure but not 100%) so there is always some risk but removing the frag plug does a lot of risk removal. I still like to QT coral for reasons like this

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will cutting sps frags off of plugs eliminate potential aiptasia from getting into my system?
Being that it can’t root onto healthy acro tissue it should eliminate the threat in my mind.
Thoughts? Been trying to find previous discussions on this, but have not found much
Remove from plug and use a coral cleaner of some sort.
Aptaisia will not live on healthy coral tissue but can be next to, under, ect.

Spare time is correct, 1 cell of an aptaisia can create a whole new one. That can be transferred via water. I use cleaner and rinse in another salt water bath.

I have been using a magnifying glass before and after removing plugs to look for any pests.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back