aiptasia Anemones growing fast. Clean up crew?????

SOARnTACO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the hobby. Got a 125 gallon 5 months in. Learned a quick lesson on not having a QT tank. So now I have a hospital tank. So the 125 only has two clowns and a red dragonet. Just a few corals trumpets(2) war coral frog spawn. One rose bubble anemone. And clean up crew some turbo snails hermit crabs and a skunk cleaner shrimp.

So the problem is I added new live rocks and the worms and mini anemones are all over. So mainly the anemones I want handled.

Any issues with peppermint shrimp and cleaners together?

How many peppermint shrimp should I get?

And will the cleaner need another mate to hold ground?
0bc1123ee2a2ae484decb97318a04246.jpg
67a80b13287091c5452e487f84b2710d.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard great things about berghia. Peppermint shrimp are hit and miss and can go after fleshy LPS as well as file fish (tomentosus). If the infestation is small and the rocks can be removed then I'd recommend removing the rock and carefully remove all the aptasia out of the tank and leave no tissue behind. Their are methods to treat in the tank like kalk paste, aptasia X, Joe's juice, etc, but all have risks of causing a larger outbreak.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0996.JPG

i also have a blood red fire shrimp somewhere in the back, never seen them fight. the lfs said they were all fine together

and that said, i have one aptasia i was hoping the peppermint would deal with and he has not.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some aptasia and went the peppermint shrimp route. I used Aptasia-x on the 2 large ones and the shrimp ate the rest. My experience with A-X is that unless you get it down the throat, before it retracts, it will turn into a thousand. The issue with aptasia is they can retract down into crevices and X and Superglue might not kill or seal them in. I still have 2 or 3 peppermints in my tank. They do nip at my large frogspawn once in a while, but dont really do any major damage. I also have a cleaner and fire shrimp. They do not fight. The fire and peppermints only come out at night. I found I cant keep the nudi's because my fish eat them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back