Aiptasia eating filefish owners: do yours nip at corals?

Does your filefish nip at corals?

• Total voters

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ongoing aiptasia problem and was strongly considering adding a filefish to help out.
According to most fish retailers, they do nip at corals. However, when asking for personal experience from other reefers, they say theirs was well behaved.
What about yours?
Would be helpful if you included the types of corals in your tank.

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along out of curiosity. I dont have aiptasia but think they are cool little fish.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both pairs of mine in two separate tanks are "model citizens". I bought ORA filefish from Live Aquaria. The catch is, they don't pick at aiptasia right away. Mine took almost two weeks before I noticed aiptasia was gone. From ORA -"they eat at night and are shy".

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great at clearing aptasia for me and only seem to bug micromussa lordhowensis. I have acros, gorgs, favias, chalice, nems, clam, coralamorphs, torch corals and other euphylia and the lords are the only thing they bothered.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get nudibraches. I haven’t tried a filefish personally but I’ve seen many threads on here of them nipping coral.
I've introduced about 25 Berghia nudibranches to the tank over the last six months or so. They're very very slow, and don't seem to last too long.
I would assume they will work well in a tank that doesn't have an outbreak level population like my 40b.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ongoing aiptasia problem and was strongly considering adding a filefish to help out.
According to most fish retailers, they do nip at corals. However, when asking for personal experience from other reefers, they say theirs was well behaved.
What about yours?
Would be helpful if you included the types of corals in your tank.
In polls like this you should include a "just show results" option, will improve accuracy.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great at clearing aptasia for me and only seem to bug micromussa lordhowensis. I have acros, gorgs, favias, chalice, nems, clam, coralamorphs, torch corals and other euphylia and the lords are the only thing they bothered.
This was my experience also and moved the Acan to a different tank. I do think he's been nipping at my Gorgorgian also. Unfortunately he hasn't touched any of the Aptasia and I've had him for a couple of months now so it looks like he's never going to. I kept him and his name is Deadbeat.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My filefish destroys every Aiptasia within a 2 block radius.

Unfortunately he does the same to almost any kind of zoa or paly.

Big, nasty, brown & green palys? Not interested. A tiny multicolored zoa frag that sells for stupidly high prices? THANK YOU, THAT LOOKS DELICIOUS!

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Big, nasty, brown & green palys? Not interested. A tiny multicolored zoa frag that sells for stupidly high prices? THANK YOU, THAT LOOKS DELICIOUS!
That's my nightmare right there. My tank is full of zoas and euphyllia.
I'm planning on adding a filefish and keeping a watchful eye on him. If he goes after zoas, I hope he picks the cheap ones first.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that did a fabulous job of eating aptasia till he ran out then he set to work on my anthelia (which he ate every bit of) and then my Xenia, which he ate down to the rock. I am pretty sure he cleaned out a few zoas but I can't be sure.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love filefish for aptasia. Sometimes they eat them voraciously and nothing else, especially if you are feeding the fish well. Other times they ignore the aptasia and only eat fish food. Acans, plate corals, zoos, palys, sps, lps, blastos, are just some of there favorite “fish foods” and what they eat depends on what they decide to eat. They are easy to keep as long as there is something available for them to eat.

Peppermint shrimp are similar in their feeding preferences but not quite as quick to “clean up their plate.”

Berghia are more aptasia-specific in their eating habits but they are also eaten by some of the fishes that people keep in their tanks. I’ve never used them, but filefish and peppermint shrimp have worked for me in the past. You just have to keep a daily watch on them to detect if they are eating things you are trying to keep alive in your tank.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it didnt take long to determine the reef safe-ness of my file fish. He's definitely been snacking on my frogspawn.
giphy.gif

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn't seem to be touching zoas or xenia - but I'm pretty sure he went after SPS. The few pieces I had lost tissue slowly - one by one. There were never 2 SPS sticks losing tissue at a time. It would start on one - and over a couple days all the tissue would be gone - then another.

He definitely tears up any aiptasia - I only had a dozen or so when I put him in the tank - there are zero now.

Mine does eat any food I put in the tank - frozen, nori, pellets, whole clams (food - not giant).

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This was my experience exactly. I had the toughest time figuring out why I couldn't grow zoas in that tank, finally I added a frag to try again and watched Spike decimate it within 5 minutes. I had to choose....Spike is now helping a fellow reefer out with his aiptasia issue and I have zoas again :)

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my experience exactly. I had the toughest time figuring out why I couldn't grow zoas in that tank, finally I added a frag to try again and watched Spike decimate it within 5 minutes. I had to choose....Spike is now helping a fellow reefer out with his aiptasia issue and I have zoas again :)
I'm very happy mine didn't decide to go after zoas, but I like euphilia too, so he must go!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Looks like mine has finally started to eat some of the aptasia. I'm not noticing any aptasia out on the rocks anymore and only see the ones that are deep in the crevices of the rocks. Still looks like it's nipping at the gorgonian but besides that nothing else.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was full of aptasia; it took a while, but the filefish eventually got rid of them all. Then it cleared the tank of all of the zoas and then started on the Duncan colony. It left the shrooms, leathers, SPS, and other LPS alone.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back