nanoman95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

Struggling to stock my tank as everything I like seems to have an aggressive streak! I loved the royal gramma but my friends has beat up his whole tank which is deterring me. The guy at the LFS suggested an Aiptasia eating filefish, does anyone have any experience with these?

I have a 20 gallon long, 2 red legged hermits, Nasarrius snail and a turbo all happily doing their thing, ready for a fish but just can’t decide! Also love the Firefish but the ones at the LFS have seriously nipped fins :(

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out a small Hawkfish. Far more interesting in my opinion than the filefish.

For a 20g I would look into a Talbot's damsel and maybe a clown pair...

aquatic26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends what order you add things. I added my royal gramma last and he is very submissive, gets along well with the clowns, fell right in line. I also got a juvenile, I think that helped.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for many years.
Very mellow. Very slow eater so not the best in an aggressive tank. Established tank is best and a 20 is a bit small but doable if kept alone or mated pair.
Must be fed multiple times a day.
Will/can eat multiple types of coral but may also leave them alone.
Some eat aiptasia some won't touch it.
I had a great time with mine. Had him in a 20 for 4 years but when I put him in my 75 community he just couldn't hang with the flow, food and friends.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like filefish, the way they swim is interesting to watch. I have heard they can nip at corals/polyps depending on the individual and availability of food.

I have had an aptasia eating filefish in the past and currently have a mimic filefish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them, they are mellow, just seem to do their own thing. I like their unique swim pattern, and they have a cocking trigger, they are related to triggers. Captive bred ones seem to be hardier than wild caught ones. Wild caught ones can also be misidentified frequently, and you end up with a larger more aggressive species.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back