Aiptasia found in tank!!!

HarlequinTuskReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of doses of kalk mixed with water killed mine. Used a bottle with a needle at the end used for acrylic glue to inject directly into aptasia.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the rock from the tank that's always my preferred method. Injecting them can cause an outbreak. I've tried many different methods over the years. Kalk paste can work but it's more of a maintenance for me. These pests can survive and spread like no other.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will super hyper salinity kill them? I’ve got a few in my overflow where I could apply this without any effect on my tank.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other ones I’ve seen in my sump, I pulled the rock and literally burnt them off.... the ones in my ovflo .... no possible way to kill them out of the tank... BUT at least I can segregate while killing!!

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
peppermint shrimp are the way to go and it's an all natural.if your purchasing them now this is what I do.i drip acclimate them first.they do much better and tend to shock out if ya don't.then i put them in a clear floating container in the tank.this way I can feed them in the tank for a few days while I watchem alive and well.then I release them at night just so the fish don't screw up and sample one.keep an eye out for them when you feed the tank.they are great hiders and a flashlight at night is the best way to see them.once you know they are alive and well STOP feeding the tank for a day or 2.they will get really hungry at this point and eat and eat aiptasia.works everytime I've done it.
as for an overflow.microwave a cup of water until it boils.get a turkey baster and suck up as much hot water as you can and squirt it on them.they will melt and not break apart and multiply all over the tank.this method also works for spot killing them on rocks without spreading them.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you can keep it segregated in the overflow i would think you could use straight ice cold tap water & then add chlorine remover before letting it go to the sump or does anyone think this is a bad idea. Or remove the overflow if possible to get rid of them

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tahitian butterfly...obviously only if compatible with your system, it will clean up aiptasia in no time, hardy gorgeous fish, and it readily eats all food. It’s not 100% reef safe, will go after some LPS and maybe other anemones...

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a friend that found a couple in his tank.... he added 8 peppermint shrimp in a 125 gallon tank... we called them the peppermint mafia... they all lived in a cave in the rock together and eradicated the aptasia in a couple of days...

they would also come out every time we put something in the tank....

he used to purposely find frags from the LFS that had aptasia on them and get them just to watch them work... it was almost comical...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back