Aiptasia help for beginner

Treeb117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, maybe a Redundant question but in new here and to saltwater. I bought a couple small pieces of live rock to put in my tank a few days back from a lfs, noticed Aiptasia on it. Approx 5-6 pieces. Didn’t invest a lot of money so considering options of treating or just getting rid of the rock altogether to avoid imfestation. Any help appreciated.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just pull the rock then. Let it dry out, clean it up and you can use it again.

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep AptasiaX around. Pulling the rock is a good idea for this situation but aptasia will always pop up. I consider them a minor nuisance that's easy to deal will as long as you actually deal with them. True infestations typically take a while to develop.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Keep it simple. Get yourself a syringe and some lemon juice and inject lemon juice into the core (center) of aptasia. The aptasia will melt away.

1581263043599.png

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The degree in which you attack this depends on whether or not you are ok "killing" your live rock. If you are fine starting over with it, I would just pull it out, pick off the aiptasia with a tweezers or forceps along with any other pests like vermetid snails etc...let it dry out for a day, scrub it with a brush and bleach, followed by a good rinse and dry and plop it back in.

If you want to keep it alive, you'll have to spot treat with the aforementioned methods like lemon juice or Aiptasia X but there's no guarantee you'll get it all.

Rhydder_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it's best to treat outside of DT if possible but sometimes that's not an option. I've been using aiptasia X and have found that it only makes the aiptasia pop into fragments that only attach and spread. I haven't tried lemon juice but have just added a File fish. The file fish has started to look at the aiptasia but I haven't seen it eat one yet, time will tell. I'm sure you will find when researching aiptasia that there are a bunch on remedies. you will just have to find the one that works for you. I would defiantly op for treatment outside of DT to eliminate any spread.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back