Aiptasia Help!!

Nemoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I traded a frag of xenia to a guy for a large piece of live rock. I've had it in the tank for a couple of weeks now and I jsut noticed an Aiptasia anemone on it. As much as i hated to do it, I took the rock out and washed it in hot water. Rather lose the live on the rock for now that have an explosion if Aiptasia. It was te only one i have seen and it is now gone. Is there a good chance this will stop the problem, or I am going to have a big issue now?

always reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strong possibility there are babies brewing in your tank. You'll find out in time. Good luck

OP
OP
Nemoose

Nemoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do I do if I do start seeing a lot? I have a melanarus wrasse so the peppermint shrimp is probably not going to be an option.

always reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a syringe and inject kalkwasser paste in their mouth it will kill them. Aiptasia-X by Red Sea also works good used the same way

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nemoose

Nemoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok keeping my fingers crossed that I got the only one, I never had them before I got tha piece of rock.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a syringe and inject kalkwasser paste in their mouth it will kill them. Aiptasia-X by Red Sea also works good used the same way

All aiptasia-x did for me was **** off the aiptasia and cause them to mulitply for me. It's supposed to clog their mouths but they always seem to spit it out. Kalkwasser melts them on contact so better off with that. Much cheaper too

Last edited:

YVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I see any Aiptasias in my tanks, I inject TM Elimi-Aiptas directly into the stalk as opposed to into the mouth. I find that the product has a better kill rate when injected into the stalk rather than the mouth.

hifisch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell a wand that you can kill them but you have to make sure to leave no untouched parts. Its good for easy to reach one but not so good for ones in holes or up under rocks. Aptasia x and other types of killers I've used seem to work sometimes and other times it makes them mad so they come back with a bunch of buddies. What seems to work for me is I slightly touch them just enough so they retreat a little then cover the whole disc. In theory they would have to inhale water to expand and all the get is the aptasia x instead. Also works on majanos. I bought a Matted file fish about 3 weeks ago and almost all majanos are gone ( had no aptasia I know of). Only afew left in places it can't get to. 140 reef tank and no problems with the file fish. Hope it helps.

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • D/C

Votes: 57 62.6%
  • Both

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 13 14.3%
Back