Aiptasia Lasers

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had about a dozen aiptasia in my tank and sent off for a laser from ebay after a couple of emails to the seller and contra to what some have already said they do work. I got rid of mine and have been aiptasia free for the last 3 years except for one that came on a frag and I soon had that burned to a frazzle within 5 minutes of it entering my tank.

OP
OP
ItsAName

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While cool to kill one with a Laser it is the wrong approach. Getting peppermint shrimps or fish that eat them works best. QT'ing corals that you get at a swap and LFS is even better. As the aptasia is brought into your tank that way.

The strange thing is I haven't added anything new to the tank in 9 months. And this is the first Im seeing aiptasia ever in the tank.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia nudibranchs work the best in my opinion, it just takes them awhile to really make an impact. Your wrasse probably won’t even notice them, and if it does it will likely ignore them entirely.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The strange thing is I haven't added anything new to the tank in 9 months. And this is the first Im seeing aiptasia ever in the tank.
They came in on something.:)Lots of time they like to be up in a hidden area behind the rock work of your tank. So you don't see them till they reach a level of population that they start showing up in areas that you can see them.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will any of these solutions take care of this one? Maybe if I kill this all others in the world will die.
1af9ccec0b31662cb082a8ac733e8f95.jpg

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just messing. Someone at my lfs was bored and wanted to see what kind of monster they could make. Definitely not mine, buuut I dont hate it

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 4000mW laser on EBay 3 months ago. At the time I only saw about 3 or 4 aiptasia in my tank. The laser easily zapped them, but days later I noticed a couple more. Each week I’m zapping at least 10 aiptasia, so while a laser helps to keep them in check, I don’t think it will eliminate them. In particular, there are several where I can’t get a clean line of sight to reach the aiptasia so they are able to grow and multiply freely.

I’m planning to get some berghia nudibranchs soon.

IMG_4848.jpg

IMG_4849.jpg

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will any of these solutions take care of this one? Maybe if I kill this all others in the world will die.
1af9ccec0b31662cb082a8ac733e8f95.jpg
Just throw the whole rock away not worth even an chance keeping it. At that size it is sending out babies all the time.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasers, are great propagation devices for Aiptasia. Berghia nudibranchs work but they require no flow in the aquarium and no fish and most fish love to eat them what a snack they are.:)

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 4000mW laser on EBay 3 months ago. At the time I only saw about 3 or 4 aiptasia in my tank. The laser easily zapped them, but days later I noticed a couple more. Each week I’m zapping at least 10 aiptasia, so while a laser helps to keep them in check, I don’t think it will eliminate them. In particular, there are several where I can’t get a clean line of sight to reach the aiptasia so they are able to grow and multiply freely.

I’m planning to get some berghia nudibranchs soon.

IMG_4848.jpg

IMG_4849.jpg

All you are doing is irritating them. They are a form of anemone, you irritate them they split. Trust me "I've been there done that". Chasing them with lasers is fun, I'll give you that but when they start irritating your corals and fish then the only real defense IMO is nudibranches or filefish. I went the filefish route on two seperate tanks and I'm aiptasia free. It takes anywhere from a week to two in my experience for filefish to start devouring them. They also only eat them at night so you might not get to see them actually eat them.

OP
OP
ItsAName

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to go to the store to buy an aiptasia eating file fish. I heard they are not reef safe. Should I worry?

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a tilefish about a month ago. All aptasia gone and it hasn't messed with any corals yet. I dont plan on giving it a chance too though

OP
OP
ItsAName

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a file fish about a week ago. He hasn't touched the aiptasia yet :(

Roger D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasers, are great propagation devices for Aiptasia. Berghia nudibranchs work but they require no flow in the aquarium and no fish and most fish love to eat them what a snack they are.:)
Yep my problem too. I've got a niger trigger,foxface rabbit, and a panther grouper in a 180 all still small but can't find anything that will eat the aiptasia and not be eaten by the fish. The grouper and trigger chased the file around till he died.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep my problem too. I've got a niger trigger,foxface rabbit, and a panther grouper in a 180 all still small but can't find anything that will eat the aiptasia and not be eaten by the fish. The grouper and trigger chased the file around till he died.

I have 2 filefish in a 120 with spotted grouper and foxface and not an issue.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back