aiptasia or duster? Favia?

mikels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I picked up a colony of some LPS brain coral this week from a hobbyist who Just exited the reef hobby. It's larger than a baseball, and around the margins I see dozens of little polyp-like animals. They do catch bits of frozen food, so I'm leaning towards aiptasia. The previous owner thinks they are a type of miniature aiptasia, and said they don't grow any larger. I believe that, since they are all roughly the same size.

However, their tentacles aren't as wispy as a nem and I can just see filaments along them similar to a feather duster. I'm new to the hobby, so I'm still learning, and of course hoping to reduce pest species additions.

20200523_105424.jpg
20200523_105455.jpg

Any ideas what genus of LPS this is, Favia? I was told it's an Aussie brain, that's all. The rim looks rough, and there are a few dead spots on the top, presumably due to rolling and handling - it was sitting in a bucket with rock for about 24hrs before I was able to make the pick up. They had first dismantled everything, then posted the livestock for sale for some reason. I gave it a dip on day 1, hoping that would help.

Thanks!
20200523_112555.jpg

Hendrix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have long thin tubes? A worm like base?

May be a type of meduza worm (not really a worm but a cucumber). I believe they can release a toxin if threatened! I just found some on Cheato that I purchased.

Trying to learn more myself.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not entirely convinced that's aiptasia. If you zoom in, you'll see there are thinner projections coming off of each stalk, which I've never encountered with aiptasia. Maybe someone can point me to an aiptasia species that has this characteristic.

However, there are a ton of common beneficial marine organisms that have this characteristic including Sabellidae and Spirorbis worms.

Birddog61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not entirely convinced that's aiptasia. If you zoom in, you'll see there are thinner projections coming off of each stalk, which I've never encountered with aiptasia. Maybe someone can point me to an aiptasia species that has this characteristic.

However, there are a ton of common beneficial marine organisms that have this characteristic including Sabellidae and Spirorbis worms.
On closer inspection you are correct thay do appear to have a hollow semi translucent base of tissue suggestive Of a nem

OP
OP
M

mikels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I appreciate everyone's input on the quest for an ID.

Yes, these filament-like projections on each tip have me thinking it could be something other than an anemone, perhaps a filter feeding worm of some sort. It is hard to tell, but I think the stalks are of equal number and length. And again they are roughly the same size - the previous reefer who had this brain coral indicated that they do not grow any larger, but will spread.

For reference, they aren't much longer than 1/4", and don't appear to move much or withdraw on themselves. As long as they don't do any major harm, I guess I can live with them. It would be neat if they were colorful.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're able to get a close picture that might help us all ID them. I'm not entirely convinced their aiptasia, however if they are, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of heartache later, so positive ID is probably helpful in this case!

OP
OP
M

mikels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're able to get a close picture that might help us all ID them. I'm not entirely convinced their aiptasia, however if they are, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of heartache later, so positive ID is probably helpful in this case!

I agree, I'll give it a try with some magnification.

OP
OP
M

mikels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they are with a little more definition. They do remind me of a nem in basic form, complete with what looks like a mouth. But the 'mouth' may only be a terminus for all the stalk ends.

20200524_123615.jpg

With light:
20200524_123712.jpg

OP
OP
M

mikels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting more of a hydriod/clove polyp vibe than aptasia

From what I've read so far, hydroids sound like a hard to eradicate pest. I did find any close photo matches, since most hydroids I saw had a disc of sorts or were very thin branching types. Still, that may be what these are. But I hope it's a yet to be discovered beneficial, or at least benign, creature.

Again, thanks for all the help.

OP
OP
M

mikels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read so far, hydroids sound like a hard to eradicate pest. I did find any close photo matches, since most hydroids I saw had a disc of sorts or were very thin branching types. Still, that may be what these are. But I hope it's a yet to be discovered beneficial, or at least benign, creature.

Again, thanks for all the help.

meant to say "I didn't find..."

OP
OP
M

mikels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
streetlamp, it appears to have 8 fingers, at least seven.

4B60181E-9D59-4E3C-943C-7BBC971433DE.jpeg

does it look like these?

Perhaps in miniature, as the form is similar, but simpler. Honestly, The best look at it that I've gotten has been from the magnified images above. It is nearly microscopic, no larger than 1/4", possibly smaller.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree, doesn't look like aiptasia to me either. More like a kind of star/clove polyp based on the 'knobs' on the arms. Novice reefers seem to think everything is aiptasia LOL.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back