Aiptasia -> peppermint shrimp -> LPS?

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have out of control aiptasia. I added some berghias about 2.5 months ago and haven't seen much effect (and since they're so cryptic, I don't even know if they're alive). I've used Frank's on all the ones I could, but there are dozens I can't reach and tons in the sand bed. If I ordered a L. wurdemanni peppermint shrimp and underfed the tank for a coupla few days, what are the odds the shrimp would eat only the aiptasia and leave my hammers alone? And once the aiptasia are gone, would keeping the tank well fed protect my LPS? I've read multiple accounts of peppermints picking away at euphyllias, and I'd rather not lose my favorite corals! Thoughts? Thanks!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t trust peppermint shrimp anymore lol , I would trust the berghia. When I bought a peppermint it ignored the aptasia and just saw my big BTA as a meal , they are scavengers/opportunist nothing to promise they won’t eat yr coral

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t trust peppermint shrimp anymore lol , I would trust the berghia. When I bought a peppermint it ignored the aptasia and just saw my big BTA as a meal , they are scavengers/opportunist nothing to promise they won’t eat yr coral
But I've tried the berghia with no apparent luck. After a couple of months I should see at least a few of the little ones disappearing. I don't have room for a filefish or CBB in my tank, either. :/

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your desperate it’s always worth a try! But remember these things can be a shot in the dark so don’t get your hopes up.
some sellers raise their peppermints on aiptasia exclusively so maybe keep an eye out for some of those?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an aptasia problem until I added a copperband. Within a month my aptasia was gone. Make sure you see the copperband eat at LFS before buying.

B04F0448-6486-4B4E-8E28-DEF5ED08D6A7.jpeg

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things to keep in mind:
The relationship between Berghia and aiptasia is not one way. The larger polyps are predatory on the nudibranchs in turn. The nudibranch must approach the polyp in a way that it avoids being eaten.
Secondarily, peppermint shrimp don't tend to attack the larger polyps. They really only go after the smaller ones.
I saw a simple solution I may try where a reefer suggested using boiling or very hot water and simply blasting them on the spot with a small amount. Obviously this technique may not work on ones nearby other corals.
Finally, berghia take a few months to be effective. It's possible you just need more.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided I'm desperate enough to order one. But only one? I think I read that you can get 1 per every 10g. But if it/they start going after my corals, I don't want to have to chase down and trap a dozen shrimp for removal. If you had a heavy aiptasia infestation in your 120g but wanted to be able to easily remove them if they become troublesome, how many would you get? And will they get the monsters? I have some serious huge honkin' aiptasia in there.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read (at least from vendor sites) they tend not to attack the larger polyps. It sounds as though a combined approach is best. I ordered one myself for a little trial run. Going to manually remove some with syringe/lemon/hot H20. Hopefully it helps you!

clownfishdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally agree on this one i had a few not so good run ins with peppermint shrimp and BTA’s needless to say the shrimp was evicted and man a pain in my **** to catch

Back