Aiptasia Problem

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get a few opinions on a remedy for aiptasia.
I have been pondering how to get rid of it. Ive tried filefish, peppermint shrimp, and even nudis. Ive also tried aip x and f aiptasia. Nothing seems to really work and I don't have the few hundred bucks to drop on more nudis. So here is my thought.

I have a 75 gallon tank with plenty of rock but its in about 3 huge pieces. I was thinking about removing the coral from one rock and taking the rock out. Dipping it into a muriatic acid and water bath for a minte and then rinsing well. Putting it into a brute trash can and recycling the rock for a few weeks. When I add it back to the tank I can take a new rovck out and do the same.

This is one of the few thoughts ive had short of breaking ti down and sterilizing it which I don't want to do since I don't have a smaller tank to put the coral in And I have quite a bit.

Any thought?

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don’t think that would work. Any rock that was still in the tank could re-infest the clean rock. Using aiptasia eliminators has to be done carefully. If you miss covering the mouth in the beginning they spew out spores that grow into more. It’s a hard battle but can be controlled. Wishing you luck.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a hard time imagining that you tried F-Aiptasia Killer by @Frank's Tanks and were unsuccessful. Can you tell us where you got the product, how you applied it, what happened, and any other specific details that you can remember? Thanks.

OP
OP
ajhudson15

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time imagining that you tried F-Aiptasia Killer by @Frank's Tanks and were unsuccessful. Can you tell us where you got the product, how you applied it, what happened, and any other specific details that you can remember? Thanks.
Bought directly from Frank and followed directions from him to the t.

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptaisia x has worked for me. I have read posts where people used a syringe with a needle at injected them with boiling RO water have never tried that myself though.

MockandRoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get Nubibranches. I have tried them all (Aptaisia X, superglue, F-Aiptaisia Killer) and they all help but in the end you will still have them. With Nubibranches, they will all just disappear in under 3 months.

Frank's Tanks

1 of 3 F-Aiptasia Creators
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you all covering the aiptasia and giving it time to harden and giving the product under the hardened cap an opportunity to kill the aiptasia? This product works and it really works well. The only thing different that I wish I would have included in the instructions is to just leave the white cap that the hardened product creates until the following week when your next maintenance is being done. Then simply siphon the cap out! The reason for this is because several people have contacted me stating that they’d removed the cap shortly after it hardened. My new labels will have that change in the instructions. I am also making another video for Facebook and YouTube!
One of the tanks we tested this product in for a long time was a 30 gallon tank that was aiptasia ridden from end to end but is still Aiptasia free to this day. It too 2 treatments... the first was to get aiptasia on the surface... the next was to flip rocks that could be flipped to view and to get those that had been out of sight on the bottom!
This is not a product that was created with the intention of being sold. I never thought about money either when I was making this or even afterwards. It was a maintenance customer who initially recommended we sell it based on the way it eliminated aiptasia and majanos in his tank!
I sell hundreds of bottles per week and more than anything, I want everyone to have a positive experience with my product!!!

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BF0F3189-9719-4F60-A494-33E64C2ACF0C.jpeg

Two of these guys took care of all of them in about a week. Probably the most aggressive shrimps I’ve ever kept.

MockandRoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you all covering the aiptasia and giving it time to harden and giving the product under the hardened cap an opportunity to kill the aiptasia? This product works and it really works well. The only thing different that I wish I would have included in the instructions is to just leave the white cap that the hardened product creates until the following week when your next maintenance is being done. Then simply siphon the cap out! The reason for this is because several people have contacted me stating that they’d removed the cap shortly after it hardened. My new labels will have that change in the instructions. I am also making another video for Facebook and YouTube!
One of the tanks we tested this product in for a long time was a 30 gallon tank that was aiptasia ridden from end to end but is still Aiptasia free to this day. It too 2 treatments... the first was to get aiptasia on the surface... the next was to flip rocks that could be flipped to view and to get those that had been out of sight on the bottom!
This is not a product that was created with the intention of being sold. I never thought about money either when I was making this or even afterwards. It was a maintenance customer who initially recommended we sell it based on the way it eliminated aiptasia and majanos in his tank!
I sell hundreds of bottles per week and more than anything, I want everyone to have a positive experience with my product!!!

Frank, your product works but it also kills everything it touches. I had aiptasia all over the place (in my zoas, etc) so the best option for me ended up being nubibranches. They are a release in your tank and forget option.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
KLEINI BUTTERFLY IS YOUR ANSWER !!!
Reef safe, eats aptasia like candy and when gone, eats All frozen and dry foods, nice color and peaceful.

Frank's Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frank, your product works but it also kills everything it touches. I had aiptasia all over the place (in my zoas, etc) so the best option for me ended up being nubibranches. They are a release in your tank and forget option.

I'm so sorry that you had a poor experience. F-Aiptasia was designed to cover and harden over aiptasia. Since we released it, we have found that it kills other nuisances such as majanos, palythoa, etc. I have used other products before creating this one....the problem with them is that they didn't kill ANYTHING including what they were being bought to kill.
I am glad that you found a solution to your issue. I like nudibranchs and peppermint shrimp for the control of aiptasia. I also sell aiptasia eating filefish and Klein's butterflies for applications that require them. But F-Aiptasia is hands down the best contact aiptasia product that I've seen!

btw, ever been to Mr. and Mrs. G's Homecooking there in SA???

Frank's Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that this is clear to all. I am not advocating that I have the only solution to aiptasia. I love peppermints shrimp, kleins butterflies, copperbands, and filefish. I have seen all of them do exactly what they are supposed to do. And while NONE of them are any more reef safe than a hopeful 50/50, I have seen promising stuff from them over the years as well as some destruction. Same is true regarding coral beauties and flame angels in a reef. You can have a fish with great character and you can have fish that don't read the same books that we read and therefore won't know how to behave the way that we would expect them to in a reef. I sell all of the above for the same problem most of the time.....AIPTASIA!
F-Aiptasia is a contact product and it does what it promises to do. Every good review I have received has been from someone who has used it and had a great experience. I have neither paid anyone or even personally known a single user since we started selling it.
At one time, one of my tanks had aiptasia rearing out of the sand in random places. Literally tiny aiptasia were sticking out of the sand. I acclimated 25 peppermint shrimp to that system to hunt and destroy. It was literally accomplished overnight. That was the best fix for that particular situation. If you have aiptasia on rocks and under hangs, I'd never suggest that natural predators wouldn't handle them in many cases while not messing with you corals otherwise. But if you need a quick fix, try F-Aiptasia. It is simply the best contact aiptasia product on the market. I am picking up distributors from all over the world so look for it to come to YOU!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a pretty simple solution.... I had a bazillion Aiptasia at one point until I followed this guideline below:

You need to kill off the medium to large sized ones with a Kalk paste solution.... bc Copperband Butterflies will NOT touch med-lrg ones bc it stings their eyes.

You get a Copperband Butterfly and they'll eat the babies Aiptasia that come about when the med-lrg ones you killed send out spores to create baby Aiptasia.

Takes about 6-8 weeks to eliminate Aiptasia by:
* you killing the med-lrg ones
* CBB eating the new babies

I havent seen a single Aiptasia in over a year. I see my CBB picking at the LR like every 30secs....

Last edited:

Frank's Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question! @Frank's Tanks - what do you think?
While we never tested this product on palythoa prior to putting it on the market, several people have contacted me to tell me that it is effective on palythoa and other nuisances. I can think of about 8 people who buy this product just to kill palythoa! That is NOT a sales pitch!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back