View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Aiptasia
Yes quite the infestation
Got some peppermints
(Not really a good Haiku but I tried)

I thought they were gone. Then I saw some in my sump, so I dumped my sump. Cleaned it out totally top to bottom. Didn't see them for quite some time (a year). Today I found another one, in the sump, again. Was a good 2". I sucked him up with my water changer siphon hoping to get him before he spit babies out.

I am pretty much resigned that I will always have Aiptasia. But, has anyone verifiably actually had them, and got rid of them?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Aiptasia
Got some peppermints

I thought they were gone. Then I saw some in my sump, so I dumped my sump. Cleaned it out totally top to bottom. Didn't see them for quite some time (a year). Today I found another one, in the sump, again. Was a good 2". I sucked him up with my water changer siphon hoping to get him before he spit babies out.

I am pretty much resigned that I will always have Aiptasia. But, has anyone verifiably actually had them, and got rid of them?
Had them up until about 9 months ago? About 6 or 7 visible. Bought one Berghia Nudi as an experiment, and it wiped em out. Are they still there, lying in wait ? I hope not lol.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i have only ever encountered 2 in my tank. both came in a frag and survived dipping. my guess is the frag still had some remnants. i am hoping to never see another in my tank again

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question I have with the Berghia is the same thing I wonder about with the Peppermints; if/when they are eating the Aiptasia, doesn't that cause it to spit out planulas? Seems like a viscous cycle. At least the Peppermints eat other stuff and will be around for the next generation. The Berghia I think would die off between broods, no?

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Aiptasia
Got some peppermints

For every one you see there's probably 10 more. At least. Lol. Sounds like you have it under control. I think in a tank with lots of rocks and heavily populated they are unavoidable.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question I have with the Berghia is the same thing I wonder about with the Peppermints; if/when they are eating the Aiptasia, doesn't that cause it to spit out planulas? Seems like a viscous cycle. At least the Peppermints eat other stuff and will be around for the next generation. The Berghia I think would die off between broods, no?
Yes. You would have to supply aptasia to the berghia. The berghia consume them in a way that prevents release. Supposedly down to the last cell. I do believe shrimp seed their next crop while eating. Ha. I just epoxy the ones I can. Or if you puddle Kalkaska on the so it stays in place for while. Berghia if it gets bad. Then you get a new frag and start over. Lol.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Aiptasia
Got some peppermints

I got rid of them for a month then I got another frag and it returned :rolleyes:. It's best if you notice themwhen there are only 1or 2,if it spreads to your dt i guess you'll have to get a Australian stripey ;) lol jk, but they are great aiptasia eaters

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I read an article in a issue of reef hobbyist magazine a few years ago the system that was featured in the article was doing very well with no aptasia infestation the only place they existed was in the sump as stated by the person that wrote the article.So you never know what is possible!

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have only ever encountered 2 in my tank. both came in a frag and survived dipping. my guess is the frag still had some remnants. i am hoping to never see another in my tank again
Only seen one on a frag blue. Anytime possible I dump the plugs and just remove the coral. Easy to do for sticks.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia do not cause the Aiptasia to spread. Something biological about them causes the Aiptasia to not release their spawn. Peppermints I've only tried recently just to see how they do... while they've gotten all but one visible Aiptasia, I'll be sticking with the Berghia. They mow it right down and it doesn't come back.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught one on a frag plug a few weeks ago. I swapped the plug and assumed that was the end of it. Then about two weeks ago I saw what may have been one on a (different) coral. I put a big blob of superglue over it just to be sure. Then a few days ago, found another one in the tank. Aiptasia-X took care of that. At least they're all in the invert QT.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back