Aiptasia!!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a needle type syringe and inject vinegar into the aiptasia it will die quickly. You can do this before putting your new coral in the tank; go through the dipping process as well as you wold. Make sure to rinse it properly.

I doubt that any coral vendor would take it back "just" because there's an aiptasia on it- but i could most definetly be wrong. I don't often shop coral online; only LFS for me! :)

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a needle type syringe and inject vinegar into the aiptasia it will die quickly. You can do this before putting your new coral in the tank; go through the dipping process as well as you wold. Make sure to rinse it properly.

I doubt that any coral vendor would take it back "just" because there's an aiptasia on it- but i could most definetly be wrong. I don't often shop coral online; only LFS for me! :)
Any kind of vinegar? Will the polyp retract and hide? I will post a pic down below to confirm It's aiptasia

Attachments

• 20230527_140150.jpg
    20230527_140150.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230527_135725.jpg
    20230527_135725.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 57

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye that's an aiptasia allright! :)

I have previously used normal vinegar; the kind you would use to descale a coffee maker. Alternatively, pop down to your LFS and get some Apitasia-X from Red Sea.. There's no guarantee either way that you will get it all though.

It is extremely hard to go the distance without introducing any aiptasia in to the tank at some point sadly.

I have it mine, but my australian stripey keeps it all at bay. He's a good fish!

Last edited:
OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have previously used normal vinegar; the kind you would use to descale a coffee maker. Alternatively, pop down to your LFS and get some Apitasia-X from Red Sea.. There's no guarantee either way that you will get it all though.

It is extremely hard to go the distance without introducing any aiptasia in to the tank at some point sadly.

I have it mine, but my australian stripey keeps it all at bay. He's a good fish!
Ok I will try my best thank you for the advice :) . Maybe I should throw the whole frag away although it was a beautiful candy stripe zoa :(

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you think I could cut a couple zoas off and refrag them and throw the rest away?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will try my best thank you for the advice :) . Maybe I should throw the whole frag away although it was a beautiful candy stripe zoa :(
Contact the shop first, they might reimburse you for it! :)

Maybe anyone else on R2R have some advice for you.. Having aiptasia in my tank already, i would just go for it you know! A zoa is hard to snap off the plug, i try with all the frags i buy not to introduce the plug they come on.

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact the shop first, they might reimburse you for it! :)

Maybe anyone else on R2R have some advice for you.. Having aiptasia in my tank already, i would just go for it you know! A zoa is hard to snap off the plug, i try with all the frags i buy not to introduce the plug they come on.
I had a post earlier where a an encrusting coral was starting to grow over a single zoa polyp on the same frag. Someone told me to use a razor blade at the base. Maybe if I don't touch the aiptasia I can save a couple zoas?

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a kalkwasser paste as well in the mouth of it to kill it or boiling water using a syringe. Try to avoid letting the kalk sit in any Zoas as it will burn them.
My only concern is that as soon as I mess with it it will try to reproduce..I've never dealt with aiptasia before so idk how exactly it works.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a post earlier where a an encrusting coral was starting to grow over a single zoa polyp on the same frag. Someone told me to use a razor blade at the base. Maybe if I don't touch the aiptasia I can save a couple zoas?
Yeah that might for you mate, just be careful! Some zoas can be quite bad for you if you get anything in your eyes, nose, mouth etc. so just check that out first!

Reefapprentice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed it the kalk paste and it’ll accept it as food. This effectively kills it and if you smother it the chance of it being able to replicate is low. Depending on the size of the nem in question manual it may get a Zia or two.

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed it the kalk paste and it’ll accept it as food. This effectively kills it and if you smother it the chance of it being able to replicate is low. Depending on the size of the nem in question manual it may get a Zia or two.
I posted a pic above. It's a single polyp from what I can tell and ups delayed my shipment an extra day and I don't have immediate access to kalk paste. Is that a special paste for aquariums or is it just caulk from home depot that you use to seal things?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any kind of vinegar? Will the polyp retract and hide? I will post a pic down below to confirm It's aiptasia
keep it simple-
Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep it simple-
Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away
I don't have kalkwasser and would probably take a few days to get it. Could I cut some zoas from the frag and refrag it and throw the aiptasia part in the trash?

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have kalkwasser and would probably take a few days to get it. Could I cut some zoas from the frag and refrag it and throw the aiptasia part in the trash?
You could also use 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed 50-50 with tank water. Put the entire frag in it for 5-10 minutes. It will kill the Aiptasia, but shouldn’t hurt the Zoa’s. I had to do that once with an Aiptasia imbedded in a Zoa Colony.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You can also use Lemon juice. If no lemon juice, boiling water

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back