Aiptasia!!

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it’s in a bag and not in your tank, the aforementioned tweezers would work great. Just pull it off and trash it.
It’s ironic that I just posted this and my wife called me over to see who’s hanging out of out AIO intake.

Cherish the challenge

F243BF07-8B72-40FC-8854-8A58568AF7FA.jpeg

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also use 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed 50-50 with tank water. Put the entire frag in it for 5-10 minutes. It will kill the Aiptasia, but shouldn’t hurt the Zoa’s. I had to do that once with an Aiptasia imbedded in a Zoa Colony.
Did it fully eradicate it or did you have problems with more later on?

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it fully eradicate it or did you have problems with more later on?
Yes it did. Completely gone and it’s been months since I did it. Zoas are fine. Every Zia colony I have has gone through hydrogen peroxide dips for aiptasia and algae getting in them. They always bounce back in a couple of days.

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo I checked and the aiptasia was wedged in between two polyps and I couldn't reach it to pull it. I did syringe and boiling water. Idk if I hit it or not.. all I know is there was a brown cloud in the water coming from the aiptasia. I also decided to cut a couple polyps and glued to separate frags in case that'll help for any situation. Thank everyone for your help. Idk what the brown cloud was but I hope it was death and not a squirt

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: after attempting to get rid of the aiptasia I placed it in QT. 30 minutes later I looked and there it was. That sneaky snake lol. It was wedged in between the rubble and the plug where the glue is so made it super difficult to notice. Took the frag back out. Injected more boiling water. No squirt this time. It died. I used the tip of the needle to pull it from in between the 2 pieces. Trashed. F Aiptasia! Lol. Thank you everyone for your help and input I am very grateful to have all of you as my family. :) have a blessed day!!

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: after attempting to get rid of the aiptasia I placed it in QT. 30 minutes later I looked and there it was. That sneaky snake lol. It was wedged in between the rubble and the plug where the glue is so made it super difficult to notice. Took the frag back out. Injected more boiling water. No squirt this time. It died. I used the tip of the needle to pull it from in between the 2 pieces. Trashed. F Aiptasia! Lol. Thank you everyone for your help and input I am very grateful to have all of you as my family. :) have a blessed day!!
You will get aiptasia one way or another.. There will always be a tiny-winny invisible one that you will miss on a frag plug or between zoas..

Best way to deal with aiptasia - is learn to live with it. The best way to not let it become an infestation is to NOT use dispersive live foods, especially mysis/brine shrimps or lobster eggs (or use them on rare occasions). Instead - feed mussels/clams/scallops to your fish instead and aiptasia will not spread out.

The occasional one or two that pop out are dealt with by periodic (once every couple of weeks) injection of death juice (look for recepie)..

To summarise - don't bother, you will get it in your tank one day.

Last edited:

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kill it with fire, but no need to dispose of the zoas. Vendors do their best to have clean frags but aiptasia are incredibly adaptable, durable and successful so without a proper coral quarantine, it just may happen eventually. No need to worry about it spreading if you remove in a separate container. Give it a rinse after as they discharge nematocysts when irritated that can float around the tank

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get aiptasia one way or another.. There will always be a tiny-winny invisible one that you will miss on a frag plug or between zoas..

Best way to deal with aiptasia - is learn to live with it. The best way to not let it bewcome an infestation is to NOT use dispersive live foods, especially mysis/brine shrimps or lobster eggs (or use them on rare occasions). Instead - feed mussels/clams/scallops to your fish instead and aiptasia will not spread out.

The occasional one or two that pop out are dealt with by periodic (once every couple of weeks) injection of death juice (look for recepie)..

To summarise - don't bother, you will get it in your tank one day.
Exactly. They're like dandelions (or stinging nettle)...hard to keep at bay if you ignore them, but manageable if you dont.

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kill it with fire, but no need to dispose of the zoas. Vendors do their best to have clean frags but aiptasia are incredibly adaptable, durable and successful so without a proper coral quarantine, it just may happen eventually. No need to worry about it spreading if you remove in a separate container. Give it a rinse after as they discharge nematocysts when irritated that can float around the tank
I had it in a separate measuring cup and tried to inject it there and believe I missed.. it squirted a brown cloud into the water. Are those nematocysts? I rinsed it off after and placed it in the QT with my other frags and the head popped back out 30 min later.. do you think it released nematocysts when it popped back out in my QT?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it in a separate measuring cup and tried to inject it there and believe I missed.. it squirted a brown cloud into the water. Are those nematocysts? I rinsed it off after and placed it in the QT with my other frags and the head popped back out 30 min later.. do you think it released nematocysts when it popped back out in my QT?
I wouldn't worry too much. They look like tiny white strings

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back