Air Fresheners / Essential Oils

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I know in general air fresheners etc. are a no go with reef tanks... But, we have 3 dogs which sometimes makes our living area (where 2 of the reef tanks are) smell a bit "dogg-y". With that, I'd like to have a way to add a bit of a nice scent to the area, and was wondering if an essential oil diffuser may be a better option? I know some oils, such as clove, are a big NO with reefs, but are there any that may be considered fairly "safe" (maybe citrus?)?

I'll make sure to keep up with the carbon replacement just in case something odd happens to get into the tanks, as well as water changes... But I'd love to have an option other than just the ambient air.

Thanks so much everyone, please let me know what has worked for you!

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a wax melt thingy. I forget what they are called. You put the scented wax in the bowl and it’s melted be a lightbulb.
We have been using them for years and never had an issue. We have 3 cats and 3 litter boxes. Can’t smell a thing in our home.
we also have exotic birds and tarantulas, no chems get sprayed in our house.

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a wax melt thingy. I forget what they are called. You put the scented wax in the bowl and it’s melted be a lightbulb.
We have been using them for years and never had an issue. We have 3 cats and 3 litter boxes. Can’t smell a thing in our home.
we also have exotic birds and tarantulas, no chems get sprayed in our house.
I know what you're talking about, essentially a candle warmer? My question, then, is what's the fundamental difference between the scent/s that are released from that, versus something like an essential oil diffuser? Both are somehow emitting scent molecules into the ambient air, which inevitably end up in our tanks to some degree... The question is, is it harmful? Sounds like yours have been fine...

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had an issue with air freshener or essential oils (mostly lavender and lemon grass) on those stick thingies in a glass bottle around the tanks. We have also used the powder stuff in the carpet that makes things smell nice, even though people say it is not good for the vacuum.

I don't spray anything in the tank or on top of it, but will spray some in the same room, but I am not all John Witherspoon in Friday, or anything.

Witherspoon AIr Freshener.gif

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back