Air in Calcium Reactor

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I pulled the feed pump off my Geo calcium reactor and started using my GHL Doser 2.1 to pull the water through. Ever since then I keep getting air in the reactor which gets pulled through the circulation pump. It's annoying. Can't figure out how air is being introduced. The feed line is under water in the sump in a pretty calm area.

If I turn the circ pump off for a bit and then shake the reactor letting the air rise to the top and eventually get pulled through the doser, i can then turn the pump back on and its quiet for a while. But eventually I end up with air in there again.

Any ideas? o_O

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you not moving enough effluent through reactor and your co2 dosage is the air bubble? How can you tell it's not Co2?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you not moving enough effluent through reactor and your co2 dosage is the air bubble? How can you tell it's not Co2?

It is probably CO2. Did your change slow down the effluent rate?

Yeah it may actually be the C02. Was playing with it yesterday and if the pump and c02 are off, the bubbles will clear out.
The effluent rate is based on the doser so it's around 36ml/min. A fast drip.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know you can run a ghl doser continuously. How is that motor keeping up?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know you can run a ghl doser continuously. How is that motor keeping up?
It's not continuous. You can run it 150x per day. So it runs for 6 minutes and then rests for a few minutes.

Someone else suggested I run the doser as a feed pump... pushing, rather than pulling. Creates less pressure in the reactor.
Going to try that and see how it goes. :)

Pife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not continuous. You can run it 150x per day. So it runs for 6 minutes and then rests for a few minutes.

Someone else suggested I run the doser as a feed pump... pushing, rather than pulling. Creates less pressure in the reactor.
Going to try that and see how it goes. :)

I'm guessing the co2 is building up when the pump isn't running then getting displaced when it starts back up.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Isn’t it the other way around? I always thought that pushing with a peristaltic pump put more pressure on the reactor creating more chances of leaks.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea I've always pushed with my masterflex. Depending on where the clog is it'll build pressure either way.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide right now whether to push or pull with my Watson Marlow... I’ve read a bunch of threads on bubble build up issues with the GEOs and am not quite sure which way to go.

JQSquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the continuous method on Geo. Had initial air bubbles when I first got it running but eventually the system purged with the gas off and never had any more issues.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back